Dead Battery - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 6:51 am Thread Starter

Dead Battery

The Garmin stayed on all night. Of course the battery was stone cold dead this morning. The question is how come when I put the charger on it and turned the key on, I got nothing. The volt meter is shows the battery is getting 14.60 volts. I would have thought it was plenty to turn on the electrics. I'm using a car charger at 2 Amps. At 10 amps the battery was getting 17.8 volts, so switched back to 2 amps.. What have I missed or do I have a problem with the Canbus system?
The battery was new in Nov 2011.
Should I remove the battery and charge it away from the Canbus system?

Thanks

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Re: Dead Battery

Battery tested good at Batteries Plus, BMW dealer came and got it, Dealer called 2 hours later telling me the bike was ready. So what was the problem?
the plug fell of the new ignition box they put in a week ago. Glad it happened at home!

Rusty Mckay
'09 K1300GT
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Battery tested good at Batteries Plus, BMW dealer came and got it, Dealer called 2 hours later telling me the bike was ready. So what was the problem?
the plug fell of the new ignition box they put in a week ago. Glad it happened at home!

Rusty Mckay
'09 K1300GT

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Glad your bike is up and well. Now, find a charger for motorcycles that is CANN buss compatible.
http://www.amazon.com/OptiMate-DUAL-...rds=optimate+4
I really prefer a separate socket fused to the battery or hooked up to your fuse panel, thus avoiding the CANN bus system altogether. Plenty on this forum about it. You can use that plug for running a high draw air pump as needed too. Never charge a motorcycle battery at 10 amps, way to hot for the small battery. The new smart charges will also determine what type battery you have and set the voltage for charge rate correctly. Also the new ones will work over any sulphate issues. One of the true tests of a battery is what the voltage is across the terminals while it is cranking the bike starter. Not just a static test. If it drops much below 10 volts or so (9.5 is about bottom). The battery has given it's all and needs to be replaced. The bike computers do not like low voltage. If you only ride your bike once a week or ten days, leave it plugged in to your motorcycle trickle charger.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusmckay
The Garmin stayed on all night. Of course the battery was stone cold dead this morning. The question is how come when I put the charger on it and turned the key on, I got nothing. The volt meter is shows the battery is getting 14.60 volts. I would have thought it was plenty to turn on the electrics. I'm using a car charger at 2 Amps. At 10 amps the battery was getting 17.8 volts, so switched back to 2 amps.. What have I missed or do I have a problem with the Canbus system?
The battery was new in Nov 2011.
Should I remove the battery and charge it away from the Canbus system?

Thanks
The question is how come when I put the charger on it and turned the key on, I got nothing.
My apologies in advance if I am misreading what you are saying but if the battery is dead due to being drained overnight by the GPS you cannot connect any charger and expect to start the engine immediately ! It takes a couple of hours before the charge has built up enough in the battery to turn the motor over !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in