Various K1200GT comparos - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Bouncer

Various K1200GT comparos

After finding the NADA site that allows comparisons of motorcycles, I posted a bunch of it over at K-Bikes.com

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3658

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 9:24 am

Nice piece of work Jeff. Seeing the comparisons makes a difference. Even comparing the GT among the RT and the LT interesting, however, maybe I read too quickly, but the S,R, and of course the GT now have a 'multi-plate' wet clutch.

My R12GS has had a 'smelly' clutch since new, with no problems and I know if it ever is a problem, dealer will fix it under warranty. The LT dry clutch at about 5000 miles no problem. I just think, and it's opinion, a dry clutch in today's day and age is neanderthal, but then again, just an opinion! As I said, nice work!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 10:58 pm

I can't believe the GT weighs 100 lbs. less than the ST 1300? That is worth the price of admission alone for the GT. Absolutely amazing. The GT would absolutely SMOKE an ST in ANY performance category with that much of an advantage. The ST1300 is now a dinosaur. A big fat dinosaur.
I wonder what the Yammy weighs as it did not show up in your comparo.

I can't believe Yamaha only offers a 12 month warranty. I would not buy the bike for that reason alone. If they don't have any confidence in it... I would only consider it if the dealer threw in an extended warranty with a good warranty company.

I am warming up quickly to the GT, it certainly appears that BMW has created a new bench mark - and has left the Japanese sucking wind.

Excellent work Jeff.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:37 am

Yamaha DOES Offer an Extended Warranty

It is called the YES (Yamaha Extended Warranty) program, it is backed by Yamaha, and it is more reasonable then any of the extended warranties that I was aware of when I bought my 2002.

Just FYI.

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 12:55 pm

YES Details

Details from Yamaha web site:
Say 'Y.E.S.' to Yamaha Extended Service

It's no secret that repair costs continue to rise. While your Yamaha is in warranty, you can relax, because the factory will step in to pay for those expensive repairs with the best warranty coverage in the industry. Wouldn't it be comforting to have the same kind of dependable coverage, even after the warranty expires? You can!

By adding Yamaha Extended Service Y.E.S. to your Yamaha, you get a solid protection plan designed and administered by Yamaha just for discriminating Yamaha owners like you. It's coverage that can help you steer around the inconvenience of repairs. Look at the benefits Y.E.S. delivers:

Buying Y.E.S. is easy!
Ask your Yamaha dealer , get a quote online, or call us "toll free" at 866-YES-EXTD to find out how easy
it is to add the peace of mind of Yamaha Extended Service to your machine. You'll rest easy.

Peace of mind.
Repairs* become Yamaha's problem, not yours. Y.E.S. will be there, whether the repair costs a few dollars... or thousands!

Protection from expensive repair bills.
Don't let unexpected repairs throw a monkey wrench into your finances.

Nationwide coverage.
Have the nationwide network of Yamaha dealers behind you.

Uninterrupted genuine Yamaha coverage.
Y.E.S. takes over automatically when your original factory warranty expires.

Affordable protection.
Years of Y.E.S. coverage for a fraction of the cost of just one major repair bill.

No deductible.
There's complete coverage on mechanical defects* you don't have to pay anything.

Increase value on your Yamaha.
Your Y.E.S. protection plan is transferable, which can increase your Yamaha's value if you decide to sell or trade it in later.

TRIP benefit.
Y.E.S. coverage automatically includes TRIP Travel and Recreation Interruption Protection that's in effect from the date of Y.E.S. plan purchase, even during the factory warranty period. With TRIP, expenses related to a covered failure can be covered as well, up to $150! per occurance. This means unexpected food or lodging expenses, transportation expenses, even a rental vehicle can be covered - and that's each time you have a covered warranty or Y.E.S. repair.

*Excluding those repairs due to normal wear and tear or aging.

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 5th, 2006, 9:28 pm

Hey Jeff (Touring Prof)

Do you remember what the cost was cost and term?

This should be any easy item to negotiate with the sale of a new bike, especially when the competition is offering 3 years - it doesn't really cost the dealer much at all -as you know these warranties have obscenely HUGE margins.

Have there been any big issues with FJRs? (beside the heat thing which is supposedly fixed for the 06...)

I'm heading off this weekend to look at an 06 FJR and GT. Not even gonna' give the ST a glance.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 3:52 pm

YES Warranty

Ron:

I got 3 years worth of coverage, which is really 4 years because it doesn't kick in until the original warranty expires. To be honest, I don't remember how much it was, although I remember thinking it was inexpensive. When I get home later today, I'll pull the agreement out, check the price, and post it.

Insofar as the heat is concerned, I had heard that was a problem with both the FJR and ST. The difference is, there is a 'fix' for the FJR. It took me about 2 hours (I'm a slow and methodical worker), and about 25 dollars of material from Home Depot to completely eliminate the problem. The FJR now rides cooler than my Rocket (with bags - adding them changed the heat/air flow profile) and a lot of other bikes I've owned. In fact, there are a couple of web sites where you can download the instructions for the fix, and MCN ran an article a while back showing how as well. I can send you the information in pdf format if you decide to spring for a pre-06 model. It is a fabulous bike, and I have had zero issues of any kind since I bought it. Unlike what I think I'll be able to figure out for the GT, there are even mounts for highway pegs available for the FJR.

Get back to you later with the YES cost data.

Jeff

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 6:37 pm

Update: YES Program

Ron-

More proof that when you are my age, memory goes second.

When I purchased my FJR, I purchased a maintenance plan for 3 years: unlimited maintenance (parts and labor) for 3 years. $1,040.00

The YES extended warranty I purchased was for an additional 4 years after my original warranty expires, for a total cost of $649.00

Jeff

The Touring Professor

2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 6th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringProf
Ron-

More proof that when you are my age, memory goes second.

When I purchased my FJR, I purchased a maintenance plan for 3 years: unlimited maintenance (parts and labor) for 3 years. $1,040.00

The YES extended warranty I purchased was for an additional 4 years after my original warranty expires, for a total cost of $649.00

Jeff
THANKS!

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in