Battery? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 12th, 2012, 1:56 pm Thread Starter

Battery?

I use to hear that the new (now old) GT's ate batteries? I have an 07 with the original battery. It does sit on a tender when not in use for and I know it's a bit on the weak side now but I figured 6 years is pretty good for a small battery.

How long did you battery last?

Jim
MSF Rider Coach

Haverhill, MA
66 R50/2
92 R100R
07 Silver KGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 2:39 pm

Re: Battery?

My 2009 lasted 2 years and was replaced under warranty.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #3 of 4 Old Nov 16th, 2012, 11:08 pm

I don't know how long the previous owner had it, but once I had it, it only lasted about six months before I had to replace it, even though it had been on one of those buddy tenders the whole time. The electrolyte level was low, so that's most likely my fault for not checking it initially. It's kind of ironic, but I wound up getting a replacement while on the road at an HD dealership, but again that was my fault 'cause I passed up an earlier opportunity that would have been half the price.

BTW, there's lots of threads on this forum about battery replacement, and it's good information, though it's somewhat dated, as far as recommendations. Just so happens, I came across a battery article in the August? issue of Motorcyclist magazine. It was about lithium-ion batteries and some of the choices, along with some "testing" they had done for comparison purposes. After researching some of their published numbers against what the various manufacturers were claiming at their respective websites, I was somewhat disappointed and questioned the integrity/motives of the magazine. What I did find useful and appreciative was the time savings in research the article did provide, as well as the pleasant surprise that several of the batteries were significantly cheaper online than what the article claimed. Someone has "borrowed" this copy, so once I confirm the date, I'll post it. Hope I didn't stray too far from topic.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 5th, 2012, 1:59 pm

Less then 2 weeks.

That was a brand spanking new bike right off the showroom and less then 2 weeks later the battery was dead. Optima has been in the bike since then, coming up on 3 years now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in