Brake Trouble - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 3:05 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Brake Trouble

Posting for a stranded traveler. 2008 K1200GT with 78,000 miles. Front brake lever intermittently goes clear to the bar but once released has normal function. Foot pedal seems unaffected. Dealer replaced ABS pump and problem is still there. Any ideas? No leaks anywhere. Fluid changed every year.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Brake Trouble

Re-posting, Please help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 7:10 pm

Sounds typical of a failing master cylinder.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

post #4 of 9 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 7:14 am

I agree, however after having similar problem with my 2009 K1300 GT, and three visits to the dealer. They told me they fixed it by changing the REAR brake pads! Ok ok stop laughing, It fixed the problem. Now everyone can speculate about what the dealer really did. The bike is still in warranty,and the pads were $77.75 and the filter screen was 11.50, with tax my warranty work came to 95.50.

EVERY DOLLAR THEY CAN

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #5 of 9 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 8:45 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Turns out it was a wheel bearing. When the tech turned the front end side to side the lever would then pull clear back to the bar. The bearing being bad allowed the rotors to press the pistons back with the slack in the front end. Mind you this was no average bad bearing. The cage and balls were missing. Saw it with my own two eyes. So that's a new one for me. A bad front axle bearing can present itself as a failing brake system. While it is perfectly logical, how weird is THAT?????

post #6 of 9 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 10:59 pm

What puzzles me is how one would ride a bike with a wobbly front wheel and not notice it? With the cage and balls missing that wheel could not have run true!

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #7 of 9 Old Sep 26th, 2012, 11:09 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Not only did he ride it that way, he checked it and missed the bearing issue. The tech rode it and missed the bearing issue. My theory is the calipers helped hold it true and the left bearing was able to take the torque. The good news was when Engles found the problem they stepped up and just charged him for the real problem. Two thumbs up for the Engles crew.

post #8 of 9 Old Sep 27th, 2012, 7:59 am

I'm going to pull my front wheel and do a bearing check/ replacement

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #9 of 9 Old Sep 29th, 2012, 6:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I replaced the front wheel bearings on my '07 K12GT at 73K miles. Not as serious of an issue as described above, but I did notice a little bit of play/roughness and so I just swapped them out.

Never noticed any additional problems with them over the next 65K miles.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in