Service Charges are getting out of hand. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Sep 23rd, 2012, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Angry Service Charges are getting out of hand.

I'm not sure I can afford to ride my K1200GT anymore. I had an 18K service at BMW of Atlanta on 04/07/2012. The fee was $900.56 with $602.00 in labor charges. I just had the 24K service yesterday and they wanted to charge me $512.00 with in $387.00 labor charges. When I questioned it, the service manager got upset and said they had to do a lot. I reminded him that my last 6,000K service was just under $300.00 to which he replied that cost have gone up. I asked him what they were going to do and he said I needed an oil change, final drive oil change and an airfilter. When I questioned him about the labor being so high, he said that they inspect and service everything. I asked to see the list and is was basically nothing but the three items listed above. I then told him that I only wanted an oil change, air filter and final drive fluid change. He told me that would be $355.00 and that he would not reset the service light since I did not get the 24K service.

I at point I became very pissed. I have used them exclusively for 9 years and had all of my services on both of the bikes I purchased from them at their dealership, including tires, etc. There was an additional charge to reset the service light of $45.00! I went raved and talked with Bob (the owner). They eventually performed the three items and reset the service light (at no charge). Still for $355.00. I could have done all of that myself except resetting the light. I informed him that I was told when I bought the bike that the final drive fluid would be changed a 600 miles then never again. I was also told that the timing would be check electronically and they would not have to pull the valve covers (which they did at the 18K, also changing the antifreeze because "they had to drain it". They also put synthetic oil in at the 18K which I did not request. He then told me that BMW had changed all those recommendations and they have had trouble with the K1200GT engines and have had to replace 3 of them, that's is why they switched to synthetic oil without asking me.

Since I have 3 years left on my extended warranty, I am forced to have the recommended service at the require intervals. At $500.00 to $1000.00 in service fees every 6K, I am going to have to find a less expensive bike to ride or another dealer with more reasonable fees. Anyone got recommendations.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 6:22 am

Re: Service Charges are getting out of hand.

Hey Doc, I am just glad BMW has a motorcycle dealership here in Chattanooga. Like you, the 200 mile round trip was bad enough, then they started going up on everything.alw

BMW of Atlanta always did a great job on my bike, and I feel that Pandora's does just as good of a job as Atlanta.

Sorry you are having issues with their Service Department. Is Bill still the service mananger there?

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #3 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 7:06 am

ya, its expensive. Bring More Wallet. Cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider. I do much of the routine maintenance on mine because of the cost. This is not an easy bike to work on.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

post #4 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:10 pm
cwo

" Cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider"

Now that's a good one.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #5 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Not to hijack your thread Dick but your old 2002 K1200LT is still running just fine. I've taught myself to do most of the servicing myself. The only real repair needed was the front brake line needed to be replaced and I even did that on my own. She should have 68,000 miles on her in another week.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #6 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Since I have 3 years left on my extended warranty, I am forced to have the recommended service at the require intervals. Anyone got recommendations.
Legal Scholars please jump in here.
I don't think you "HAVE" to have the dealer do the work to maintain warranty.
Just need to keep records/receipts/photos/vidieos whatever it takes to prove you did or had the necessary recommended maintanc/service completed.

You can also deliver the bike naked (body panels removed) and save labor.

Shop around.

Seems Dealers do not care about Customer loyalty anymore.

I probably will not be buying anymore BMW's either even if they are the most amazing machines I've ever riden since I'm at the "fixed" income age and the dealer fees just keep going up.
Went thru similar experiences but now do what service I can myself and rely greatly on help/advise from this website.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

Last edited by dougholck; Sep 24th, 2012 at 12:52 pm.
post #7 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Wow - sounds like the labor cost is a little high. If you are good at turning a wrench and socket, may consider doing some of the basic inspection and service work yourself within the scope of your warranty. There is a wealth of service information available on this site.
post #8 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6
Not to hijack your thread Dick but your old 2002 K1200LT is still running just fine. I've taught myself to do most of the servicing myself. The only real repair needed was the front brake line needed to be replaced and I even did that on my own. She should have 68,000 miles on her in another week.

+1
Mines 02 LATe is at 95K and front brake line replaced in 2010.
Other than $8000 in body panel repairs from it being smashed by a Firetruck when parked (idiot forgot to set his emegency brake), no major issues.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #9 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 5:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Wow, that's great to hear. That is a wonderful bike and I did the routine oil changes and final drive changes myself on that bike. I just had the dealer do the annual checks, brake line flush and cooling fluid changes. That was before the computer had a "service light" that had to be cleared by the dealer.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #10 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-One
Wow - sounds like the labor cost is a little high. If you are good at turning a wrench and socket, may consider doing some of the basic inspection and service work yourself within the scope of your warranty. There is a wealth of service information available on this site.
I can do the oil change, final drive change, air filter, etc., but the dealer will not reset the service light unless they do the "service inspection" required at the given mileage interval. I guess I could just let the light stay on all the time. It's a real screw job by BMW and the dealers. Just another way to run up the cost of owning a BMW.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #11 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkpr1998
Hey Doc, I am just glad BMW has a motorcycle dealership here in Chattanooga. Like you, the 200 mile round trip was bad enough, then they started going up on everything.alw

BMW of Atlanta always did a great job on my bike, and I feel that Pandora's does just as good of a job as Atlanta.

Sorry you are having issues with their Service Department. Is Bill still the service mananger there?
Hi Brett:

Bill is still the service manager. I'm not complaining about the quality of the service provided by BMW of Atlanta, as they do very good work. However, I think they have charged me outrageous fees for my last two services. Their fees were not that severe and were reasonable during the prior 8 years I been going to them.

Chattanooga is not that much farther from Columbus. Is the dealer in Chattanooga reasonable. I'm also thinking about getting a quote from Blue Moon for my 30K service. That is, if I don't decide to do it myself and just let that stupid service light stay on. Just another way for BMW to milk money from it's customers.

I have a Nissan Maxima, Honda Crosstour and a Toyota Tacoma. I can reset the service light on all of them myself. The instructions are listed in the owner's manual.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #12 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Surely the service light can be reset with a GS911

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #13 of 39 Old Sep 24th, 2012, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSpen

John
I don't have one, but will need to look into that.

Thanks,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #14 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 6:20 am

Quote:
Hi Brett:

Bill is still the service manager. I'm not complaining about the quality of the service provided by BMW of Atlanta, as they do very good work. However, I think they have charged me outrageous fees for my last two services. Their fees were not that severe and were reasonable during the prior 8 years I been going to them.

Chattanooga is not that much farther from Columbus. Is the dealer in Chattanooga reasonable. I'm also thinking about getting a quote from Blue Moon for my 30K service. That is, if I don't decide to do it myself and just let that stupid service light stay on. Just another way for BMW to milk money from it's customers.

I have a Nissan Maxima, Honda Crosstour and a Toyota Tacoma. I can reset the service light on all of them myself. The instructions are listed in the owner's manual.
Dick, Pandora's (Chattanooga) is reasonable on their pricing. I haven't heard too much about Blue Moon but what I have 'heard' made me glad that I purchased the bike from BMW of Atlanta (prior to Pandora's opening up).

Like I said, Bill at BMW of Atlanta always did me a good job, but now I don't have to waste a Saturday to have my bike serviced.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #15 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 9:09 am

It may be different in your neck of the woods but, where I live, the best labor rate on bikes in this area from a Honda/Suzuki dealer is $87 an hour. The other 3 with in reasonable distance are $100/hour. The same as the BMW dealer.

Now, many of the bike from Japan cost a few pennies less, but labor rate for repairs is the same as BMW. Bmw dino oil is $7.50/quart. So is Yamalube, Suzuki Oil, Hondoil. The BMW dealer is 1/3 the cost on labor when it comes to tire dismount/mount/balance of any other dealer in town! Apples to oranges to pears, and back to apples.......
All dealer charges have gone up. I have owned bike from many different manufacturers. NONE HAVE BEEN CHEAP TO HAVE SERVICED. NOT ONE. Simply put, if you do not have the cash to have it fixed (like I most times don't) learn to enjoy working on the bike as much as you like riding it. Besides, most routine maintenance is simple.

Though I could not live with out my bike, I consider ownership of a motorcycle a hobby. Like all hobbies, it is time consuming and expensive.

02' K12LT ~ 83K '97 F650GS ~ 32K' 81 XS400 ~ 9K
MOA #184190 Club #231 48035
post #16 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:08 am

Over the past 10 years I've had every bit of maintenance done by BMW of Atlanta - from oil changes to a clutch repair. Only exception has been rear brake pads, JPegs and a windshield swap. Bill and the crew do get the job done, only had one incident where the final drive drain plug came loose due to an extra washer. My experience is that usually their work is great.

However the maintenance cost is definitely going up. Last oil change was $105. And the 24K service was around $1100 + a front tire @ $211. I've gotta acquire some kind of wrenching skills so I don't have to choose between riding and maintenance.

Hence my trip to see John's Tech Session on the 6th.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #17 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:24 am

Quote:

John
Absolutely

Rusty Mckay
Titanium 02 LT Parted out
'09 K1300GT
post #18 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:46 am

There you go.. Time to buy yourself a GS911 and do those services yourself..
As long as you keep your parts receipts and document your service and mileage in the book.. You can't be denied on your warranty...It's just maintenance...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #19 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:54 am

Quote:
Hi Brett:

A new friend (from here) recently bought a used 2002 K1200LT. He had his front brake line fail too. Now if I'm remembering everything correctly he called BMW of Atlanta and was quoted the price for replacing the failed part along with labor but it would be nearly 3 weeks before they could do it. Blue Moon quoted him a price right away for replacing everything with Spieglers and it was in the $800 range. I told him to call Blue Moon back and ask about replacing just the failed line with OEM BMW and it was the same price that BMW of Atlanta had quoted for the same work but Blue Moon could do it in 3 - 4 days as opposed to 2 - 3 weeks.

Here's what I noticed. Price was the same for the same work. Blue Moon quoted the most expensive and labor intensive (time wise) repair first. BMW of Atlanta quoted OEM BMW parts for failed part and least labor intensive but did offer Speiglers too. He had to call Blue Moon to ask for the BMW OEM and therefore less costly repair.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #20 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 10:57 am

Quote:
There you go.. Time to buy yourself a GS911 and do those services yourself..
As long as you keep your parts receipts and document your service and mileage in the book.. You can't be denied on your warranty...It's just maintenance...

John
The reason I've NOT bought a newer BMW is because I still love the one I have but also the service light feature that has to be reset by a dealer. But, when I have looked and considered a new one, I've also figured on buying a GS911 for just that reason.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #21 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 11:31 am

I can't help but throw in my two cents here. I recently (June) picked up a 2006 LT after years of Kawasaki V-Twins. So far, I've done an oil change, and put pads on the rear brakes. The front pads are next. The bike is coming up on 36K miles, and I plan on doing everything except the valve adjustment. There a good mechanic a few miles from (JB Cycle. - PLUG! ) who will do that for considerably less than BMW. They recently mounted and balanced a new rear tire for $20.00. I bought the tire for $187.00 from Dennis Kirk. The nearest dealer is an hour from here, so I'll do what I can myself.
If you're ok with wrenching on your own, I highly recommend it. You save some serious dough, and get the satisfaction of a job well done.

The dealers will always be high priced. I have a Toyota RAV 4 amd cringe when I have to take it to the dealer. The same has been true for most all of my vehicles, except 1. I had a 1966 BSA Lightning that I used to take to Floyd Emde Motorcycles in San Diego. The shop, and the street on which it was located are long gone (Columbia Street) but he always gave me a good deal. I was a poor sailor in those days - maybe that's why!

Next mod will be getting rid of the cd player for my iPod!

Keep the shiny side up, and be safe out there!

John Q

1966 BSA Lightning (Sold)
1971 BSA Lightning (Sold, sadly)
1977 Honda CB750 F (Sold.Worst.Bike.Ever)
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (Crashed & Totaled...)
2004 Kawasaki |Vulcan Nomad (Mothballed & for sale!)
post #22 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 12:48 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've had several of my bikes serviced at BMW of Atlanta. It is not local to me, but I travel through that area often enough to make use of their services on occasion.

Bob, Bill, and the rest of the crew have always taken good care of me. As a traveler, they strive to get me in and out quickly, which I appreciate. And they have always done top-notch work, and taken care of any concerns that I have.

Bob has also been quite instrumental in helping out the Long Distance riding community, arranging emergency parts and service for riders who experience a problem somewhere out on the road. He knows the BMW Dealer network well enough that he can make a couple of phone calls and get you taken care of no matter where in the country you might be when a problem occurs.

I have no hesitation in using their services any time I'm in the area, or in calling Bob for help and advice any other time.

Having said all that, they are not inexpensive. Good businesses rarely are, and BMW is surely no exception. So you have to know that going in, and be prepared for the cost. I'd still politely question everything, just so that you know exactly where all the money is going, but you can be sure that you're getting quality work.

The other option, as mentioned, is to learn to service the bike yourself. If you have any mechanical inclination at all, the basic services aren't all that difficult. The Slant/4 6K and 12K services are mostly engine oil and final drive oil changes, an occasional air filter, and a bunch of "test and check" items. The 18K service is a bit more involved, as you have to remove the radiator to do the valve check, and then vacuum-fill them, but it can be done at home with some extra tools and more advanced skills. Or you could just pay the dealer for that service, and do the rest yourself.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 39 Old Sep 25th, 2012, 4:10 pm

I have used Blue Moon for years. I have always been very happy with their service. That being said, I do a lot of it myself (at least what I can). They are always happy to just do the service I cannot. They are very quick at getting parts also. When you call, make sure to speak to Amy and be clear exactly what you want done. She has given me lots of advice and saved me some bucks in other areas. On a service for my 02 Lt, there was a radiator leak. They removed the radiator, I had it repaired, and they re-installed it. Saved me a lot. You need to be an educated consumer with all these dealers or they will get every last $ they can.

Ride Hard or Stay Home
2006 K1200LT
2006 Yamaha Venture (sold)
2006 Yamaha FJR (sold)
2008 Concours 14 (sold)
2005 R1200RT (sold)
2002 K1200LT E (sold)
post #24 of 39 Old Oct 22nd, 2012, 11:53 pm

If you want cheap service you own the wrong bike- K wedges have about double the work of an R model to service. R's are easily done by only modestly skilled owners- some of the stuff on Ks needs more talent..
But it could be worse- it could be a 6....

A GS-911 is a very handy tool if you service any modern BMW bike. Aside from using mine in servicing 3 current bike (R1200RT, R1100S, K1200RS), I just used it as a diagnostic while checking out a lightly used K1200GT I bought last week- and am now in process of going over it top to bottom..
post #25 of 39 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7
If you want cheap service you own the wrong bike- K wedges have about double the work of an R model to service. R's are easily done by only modestly skilled owners- some of the stuff on Ks needs more talent..
But it could be worse- it could be a 6....

A GS-911 is a very handy tool if you service any modern BMW bike. Aside from using mine in servicing 3 current bike (R1200RT, R1100S, K1200RS), I just used it as a diagnostic while checking out a lightly used K1200GT I bought last week- and am now in process of going over it top to bottom..
Thanks, I'm going to have to round up a GS-911. This will probably be my last BMW.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #26 of 39 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:00 pm

When purchasing a 2011 R1200RT I included $500 for a GA911 & a Twinmax .
14000 miles to go on factory warrantee and until dealer quits sending birthday & xmas
Gift certs he will get a little biasness from me .

Bob g
post #27 of 39 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 6:11 pm

Quote:
The reason I've NOT bought a newer BMW is because I still love the one I have but also the service light feature that has to be reset by a dealer.
You can ignore this light for years with no consequences.

I have no idea how long mine was on before I first noticed it.

With all the glare on my instument cluster anyway ... .

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #28 of 39 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 12:31 am

For those of you who don't know, you can do something with the GS-911 that dealers don't (and I believe can not) do with the dealership computer. That is to set a date and mileage so far into the future on the bike computer that you essentially turn off the service light permanently.
Of course, if you own a GS-91 instead of borrowing one, that isn't worth doing...
post #29 of 39 Old Mar 31st, 2013, 5:08 pm

I am not all that smart to do all of my service myself but my local dealer in Grand Rapids does a very good job at helping to keep the costs down if they can help it. The service manager at the shop, Bruce has helped me out several times in keeping the costs down. Even with all of this I still have spent a lot of money there. I still enjoy riding my BMW more than the other bikes I have had.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #30 of 39 Old Apr 1st, 2013, 7:40 am

For what it's worth, all brands are expensive to maintain. Last time I checked the Jacksonville Honda dealer was at $110/hr and the new Jacksonville BMW dealer was a relative bargin at only $95/hr.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #31 of 39 Old Apr 1st, 2013, 11:27 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Harley charges $150 for an engine oil change with a spin on filter. (or so I'm told)

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #32 of 39 Old Apr 1st, 2013, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Harley charges $150 for an engine oil change with a spin on filter. (or so I'm told)
My softail riding neighbor took his bike in to HD dealer for new tires. Wuz quoted $806 and change - come back, pick it up in two days. Rode it to an all-brands bike shop - same set of tires - $502 and change, and OTD in two hours. Lesson learned, sez he!
post #33 of 39 Old Apr 1st, 2013, 12:28 pm

I suppose one could feel good knowing Michelin Men aren't the only ones getting bent over from time to time. Of course, it would make me wonder if the same guys were receiving the same "love" when they put on their pirate costume.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #34 of 39 Old Apr 28th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Thanks, I'm going to have to round up a GS-911. This will probably be my last BMW.
REWDOC is spot on with what he says regarding the amount of work involved doing things on the K bikes - working on them is a bitch compared to the R bikes - plus factor with the G911 if you can get a few friends together who own Beemers you can log up to ten bikes on it if memory serves correctly, other wise just bite the bullet and buy your own
post #35 of 39 Old Jul 2nd, 2013, 6:41 pm

Man, it is a tough world out there. The k bike service that includes the valve check is expensive. It does take 5 hours to do. But all the other work the average person who can read a manual and a little basic mechanical skill can tackle. Expecially oil changes. If you keep your receipts and buy "approved supplies" your warranty can not be voided. Just keep a log book. Do your own work and save 2/3rds of over all total maintenance costs. My group of riders has a tire machine and we buy tires on the internet, a set costs around 300$ and no install charge (after the cost of the machine). I have tooling to pull and fill a radiator so that $900 charge is out the window for valve work. (let the shop do that if you like) But oil, tires and little stuff is something to do yourself if possible. Also someone in each group needs to buy a GS-911. A huge help with problems and you can reset your service clock no problem. Don't buy the Chinese one on EBay!!! it does not do the job. I agree that the K bike is a huge maintenance problem. R bikes are simple in comparrison, especially the ones since 2010. Buena Suerte.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #36 of 39 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 5:04 pm

One thing to watch for is charging twice for the same part of a procedure. Our local dealer several years ago would charge twice for the body work removal when doing two jobs and each job required the plastic off. The plastic was taken off for the first job and you are now ready for the second no need to charge again for its removal. Other equal situations would happen in similar situations. The service manager would just total up the flat rate from the book for each job taking no account of overlapping work. Bills got steep. Complaints to the new service manager worked. The flat rate now in Seattle is over 100 bucks, yikes. Try to do some of your own work if possible.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #37 of 39 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by beech
Also someone in each group needs to buy a GS-911. A huge help with problems and you can reset your service clock no problem. Don't buy the Chinese one on EBay!!! it does not do the job.
This is the official website of the GS-911 manufacturer in South Africa. You can buy direct or through the local distributor. Note the warning about the Far-East clones:

http://www.hexcode.co.za/products/gs-911/counterfeit

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #38 of 39 Old Jul 24th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Boy talk about great service!!! 7 weeks ago in Wyoming I had a deer hit me on my right side front. I cut the deer in half behind the shoulder at 65 mph. I didnt go down but sustained Almost $8000.00 damage on my 2009 LT. Took the bike to dealer and insurance agent was there to inspect the bike. Dealer was to busy to remove the side panels and ordered parts as to what they could see. 6 weeks have gone by and parts are still on back order. Dealer decided to take bike apart after 6 weeks and discovered more damage and broken parts. Which I knew was going to happen. Went to dealer and complained about bike being untouched after 6 weeks. Blood and guts still all over bike.The origional broken parts they ordered 5 weeks ago are still not here and new parts ordered for bike after 6 weeks of setting are on back order!Needless to say Im pissed!!!!! Now I see first hand what everyone is complaining about crappy expensive service and no customer support or available repair parts. Love bike but its getting sold as soon as its fixed.
post #39 of 39 Old Jul 24th, 2013, 11:51 pm

Smile Re: Service Charges are getting out of hand.

What dealer would that be?

Denny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in