called out the rac and flat battery was called
jump started the bike
and sounded like a tin can full of bolts
switch off bike and called dealer
bike recovered back to them
engine stripped down to find the following
cam chain guilds broken
bent valve
bike had the cam chain mod but not the chain jump guard ?
so what have I bought
the r1100 only once lelt me down with a bad oil temp sender in 5 years
dealers doing what he can to fix it as its under warranty
but you would think that any problems would have been sorted on a 08 model
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 12:11 am

Re: not a happy new owner

Many owners don't get the jump guard done. Given the likely build date for yours it was probably built with the improver tensioner but a guard never got added.
I just bought an 06 with neither and am about to add both- but it makes no chain noise in starts while I've had it so I'm not expecting to find much in the way of problems with it.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 2:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer7
Many owners don't get the jump guard done. Given the likely build date for yours it was probably built with the improver tensioner but a guard never got added.
I just bought an 06 with neither and am about to add both- but it makes no chain noise in starts while I've had it so I'm not expecting to find much in the way of problems with it.
Will you tell me more about this jump guard thing. This is the first I've heard of it. I have already had to replace my ABS pump (16K), front brake rotors (5K) and key antenna (150 miles). Looks like German engineering isn't what it use to be!

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 12:44 am

The service manager at our local dealership, who I have found reliable (long time at it) told me this when I inquired about the history of the chain tensioner on the bike.
The early 06 models (like mine) had the early tensioner without a reservoir. This is said to be a bulletproof design but prone to making chain noise on startup becasue the tensioner leaks down after a while and has to be pumped up on engine start. BMW addressed this and issued a tech bulletin with new tensioner with reservoir. Problem with that is that the design allows chain skip if the jump guard is not also installed with it. The jump guard is a small plastic bit that is simply inserted and held in place by the clutch cover- a fairly easy job but needs all new clutch cover screws because they're single use stretched aluminum screws and only fools would reuse one. Total parts cost is a little over $200 for all of the above changes and easily done by a competent home mechanic who knows how to properly torque the easily damaged clutch cover screws. I'd expect about 1 1/2 hrs shop time if you don't do your own.

My 06 has none of the upgrades, makes no chain noise when cold and runs fine. I've elected to leave the chain alone until it starts to make noise on start, then do both. Our local dealer reports zero failures of unaltered 06 models to date, describing the original design as bulletproof but noise prone.. Something to watch for is an unsteady, hunting idle- can be an indicator of chain issues and a warning of impending disaster...

The tensioner is on the throttle side of the motor at the top of the wedge and is easily recognized by its lumpy reservoir sticking up (need to pull side plastic to see that area). You've got to pull the clutch cover off the engine to see the jump guard, if its there, and that requires about $70 of new bolts on hand for replacement.
There is a nice factory tech bulletin that covers all this that your dealer service guy can show you. Also google re the K1200 cam chain and you'll find various articles on this stuff.

FWIW, its very useful to know the good BMW pros in your area. My local service manager is very free with helpful info because I take the time to ask him questions and value his (so far always accurate) answers. Then I turn around and buy the parts I need from the parts guy next to him. I also use factory RepROM discs for info and service guidance so I know what to ask and keep my questions to a minimum- its a busy shop. One of my buds was also the dealership mechanic for a different BMW dealership and he is also very helpful- does my tires on his tire machine, for example.

Basically, its either pay or learn enough for yourself. Either works. If you want real cheap, well, you own the wrong bike.

BTW, I'm told the current factory recommendation for the K1200 wedge motor is BMWs 5W-40 synthetic, replacing the 10W-40 previous. Reason is it pumps up tensioner faster in the cold. Revving these motors cold is asking for trouble until that tensioner pumps up. There are also cautions about not stretching the change interval on the 5W-40 beyond factory- something one can easily do on an R motor with its transmission separate so far less oil shear possible (though PAO based syns are very good at staying in viscosity range with use compared to dino juice stuff).

If you've never had the dealer run the recall report on your bike, you should. They can see dealer service info and also any prior recall work. Any open recalls get done free, of course. Your might need the lower suspension link in the rear, for example, if not already done. ($60 part and 30 min if you do it yourself, free if dealer does it.)

Last edited by racer7; Oct 26th, 2012 at 1:08 am.
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 26th, 2012, 9:46 pm

Is this something the dealers are supposed to fix as routine service bulletin or something I have to ask them to fix and pay for?

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #6 of 6 Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:42 pm

Recalls REQUIRE dealers to do it and BMW to pay None apply to cam chain stuff that I know of. Yours would utomatically get the link at a dealership if it needs it- they have to report to the feds on success and followup and most dealers are very diligent about doing recall work..
Other stuff is at BMWs discretion and so far, if your bike has the old tensioner you can get a new one but might have to pay for the jump guard which is a cheap part but where all the labor is. I read somewhere UK has a recall process on the jump guard but I haven't verified it and that's not happened here yet.

Can't claim to be any ultimate expert on K wedge stuff- haven't had all that much face time with the innards of mine, yet, nor have I had time to through the RepROM disc for basic education on its specifics.

You should know the recall history of your bike- any dealer can run the report for your VIN in a few seconds and give you a printout. They're gnerally happy to do it- t meets their obligation and generates some billable shop time on BMWs nickel though time allowances for mechanics are gnerally pretty tight...

Last edited by racer7; Oct 28th, 2012 at 11:48 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in