Opinions from current owners, from new member, looking at purchasing a BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation Opinions from current owners, from new member, looking at purchasing a BMW

Hello, all. I have been riding, off and on-for over 25 years-almost exclusively on Harley Davidson motorcycles. My last three motorcycles, including my current bike, have been FL touring models. I bought an Aprilia, about a month and a half ago, and have been enjoying zipping around the Hill Country. I have been dissatisfied with my current, 2012 Ultra Limited's suspension, enogh, lately-to seriously consider buying a gently used, K1300 GT, or maybe a newer, low mile K1600 GTL. I have not ridden, either of these motorcycles-but have friends riding BMWs, and have read alot about them. So I am asking for opinions/feedback, from the membership, here. Are you enjoying your BMW? Did you ever ride, or own a Harley? What advice would you give someone, in my position-who is considering changing over? Thank you, in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Re: Opinions from current owners, from new member, looking at purchasing a BMW

I ride a BMW K1200LT, a Harley Dyna Super Glide, and have driven the Gold Wing 1800 and if I had to pick only one I would pick the BMW. Each bike has its advantages & drawbacks. Go to BMW and test ride that K1600GTL for sure!

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

Finally...thank you, kind Sir-for your wisdom and opinion. I am going to ride the BMWs. For me, the Gold Wing, is just not in the running, for my next tourer. BMW is!!

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 7:49 pm

I've not owned any Harley's but I've ridden some, to be honest, I don't get it.

However....

The 1300GT and 1600GT are an absolute blast to ride. They have great features, unbelievable motors and do just about everything well. My opinion, the 1600 is a bit more laid back than the 1300 and more comfortable right out of the box.

I think of the1300 as a high strung thoroughbred. I remember early on, standing up to stretch my legs, when I sat back down I blipped the throttle and launched. It took an hour to get the smile off my face.

Once you get used to the bike, it can be all day comfortable. I've ridden my cross country, it is a fantastic machine.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

Aewsome! I am still trying to dissect, the differences, and it appears that the ergonomics of the 1600 make it a little more upright-with the long handlebars, and all. I have even seen where owners of the 4 cyl. purchased the 6 cyl. and had..regrets? I know that I can budget the 4 cyl. 1300, a little better(more financially, so) but the right deal on the 1600, would not be out of the question, either..
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullitt
Aewsome! I am still trying to dissect, the differences, and it appears that the ergonomics of the 1600 make it a little more upright-with the long handlebars, and all. I have even seen where owners of the 4 cyl. purchased the 6 cyl. and had..regrets? I know that I can budget the 4 cyl. 1300, a little better(more financially, so) but the right deal on the 1600, would not be out of the question, either..
Bottom Line: Which ever one you buy, you'll love it.

I trade my bikes every 50,000 miles. Next fall I guarantee the 1600GT will be one of the finalists on my list.

Just out of curiosity, coming from a Harley, have you considered a 1200RT?

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 8th, 2012, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

As a matter of fact..I am considering the R1200 RT.. I guess I was a little concerned with the 'buzziness'/vibration of the horizontal twin.. The fact that I actually do ride two-up sometimes, makes it, somewhat important that the little woman be, very comfortable-so she will weigh in, at some point...friends that ride their bikes, have all had the bigtime, ongoing discussion-regarding this topic-and think that the two-up section, would do better on the K bike??
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 1:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbullitt
Hello, all. I have been riding, off and on-for over 25 years-almost exclusively on Harley Davidson motorcycles. My last three motorcycles, including my current bike, have been FL touring models. I bought an Aprilia, about a month and a half ago, and have been enjoying zipping around the Hill Country. I have been dissatisfied with my current, 2012 Ultra Limited's suspension, enogh, lately-to seriously consider buying a gently used, K1300 GT, or maybe a newer, low mile K1600 GTL. I have not ridden, either of these motorcycles-but have friends riding BMWs, and have read alot about them. So I am asking for opinions/feedback, from the membership, here. Are you enjoying your BMW? Did you ever ride, or own a Harley? What advice would you give someone, in my position-who is considering changing over? Thank you, in advance!!
Jim,

You have received lots of good comments here. The K1300GT and K1600GTLs are both excellent bikes, and I am sure you would enjoy either of them. Here are two general comments:

1. I doubt you will be able to find a used K1600GTL yet. They are very new to the market.

2. I am surprised that you are concerned about the R1200RT "buzziness/vibration" considering the Harley-Davidson motorcycles that you have ridden in the past. I admit that they smooth out somewhat when you reach speed, but the vibrations at stops are significant.
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 9th, 2012, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Jim,

You have received lots of good comments here. The K1300GT and K1600GTLs are both excellent bikes, and I am sure you would enjoy either of them. Here are two general comments:

1. I doubt you will be able to find a used K1600GTL yet. They are very new to the market.

2. I am surprised that you are concerned about the R1200RT "buzziness/vibration" considering the Harley-Davidson motorcycles that you have ridden in the past. I admit that they smooth out somewhat when you reach speed, but the vibrations at stops are significant.
'Very valid points. Fairly substantial differences, between a vertical twin, and one that is horizontally opposed. I did test the R1200 RT, and the K1600 GTL, today. Both rides, were very brief-probably, 4-5 miles, each, and no speed above, about 45 m.p.h. I was pretty amazed at the GTL-smooth, great acceleration, ergonomics seemed good, dialable, on-the-fly windshield.. I need to get mt Wife to go next time.. So she can weigh in-but I'll bet she is going to like the K the best. It's passenger area, resembles the passenger area, on my Ultra, alot! The R seemed to do that slight, torque-pull to the left, when I blipped the throttle. As I was on the K, first-I know that I had some expectation(s), and with very limited exposure, I still seem to be leaning toward the K. I had them 'appraise' my Harley, and get to a trade difference. I still want to ride, and check out the two 2010 K1300 GTs, that are in my area as well...
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2012, 2:47 pm

I would doubt that any BMW will allow your Bride the comfort or the luggage capacity that she enjoyed as a passenger on your Ultra. Large comfortable seat, wrap around top box, room for the hair dryer, extra shoes and floor boards for her feet. We had two Ultras, a '96 and '05, my Missus enjoyed the ride on both, particularly on long days in the saddle.

In my opinion, BMW doesn't cater to the personal comfort of passengers, no matter which model you choose there will be compromises. Not necessarily a bad thing but passenger compromises never the less. Even as a passenger my Missus appreciates the build quality, added safety and handling characteristics of BMW but given a choice, she would prefer the Harley on any trip longer than over night. Had I the foresight to keep both she would be very happy. My problem is that once I got hooked on my RT I really did not want to ride anything else.

By the way, as an RT breaks in the vibration smooths right out not that I ever considered it to be intrusive after owning various British bikes and four Harleys. You may experience some vibration at high speeds but such speeds will be higher than you will ride with a passenger on board.

I've ridden each of the BMW's you are considering and liked each one for different reasons. If you cannot find a dealer willing to allow an extended test drive then perhaps renting each one for a day would aid your decision. One, if not all are sure to please and your final choice will no doubt enhance your motorcycle experience.
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Well, I took delivery on my `12 K1600GTL, on Thursday.. I hope that my Wife, likes it.
I did get the, "you know that I haven't set on the back of that bike, yet", from her-and told her not to worry.
I do know that she was very comfortable on my Ultra. Alas, it is gone, with 1090 miles on it...
So far I am enjoying my newest motorcycle-it's quite a machine! It is going to take some adjusting, but I feel like I am up to the task!
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 25th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Congratulations on your new ride. Now you can change your handle to Lucky Dog!

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #13 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 4:27 am

Jim, it's been nearly three months. :
how about an update?
how is the wife liking the newest edition to the family?

did you by chance every get around to riding one of the K1300GTs you mentioned?
If so, what did you think of it?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #14 of 14 Old Nov 20th, 2012, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Jim,

[snip]

[snip]
I realize this post is a couple months old, but I've seen used K1600GTLs on craigslist a few months back. I got the 1200LT and saved $20K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in