BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

my thought onj the GT test ride today

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  RonKMiller 
#1 ·
Ok I'm not good at writing but here is a bit on the NEW K1200GT

Well the traffic was slow so the test ride was a bit slow,
I got to do the demo at 11:30am Bob from BMW atlanta had set it up for me yesterday, I love my DEALER

First the bmw vibration - The GT seems to be a tad buzzy a completely different buzz than our K1200LT LT and nothing like the vibration feel of the RT. - Although nothing of the buzz should bother you or I for riding distances with it. basically I don't see any issue I'm just reporting the buzz because it does have a slight buzzy feel at certain rpm's

The power is good, very smooth power curve nothing neck wrenching just smooth strong power, I bet this bike will fly!

It pulls out fine from 2k rpm nice and smoothly none of this falling on it's face if your to low RPM and to high of a gear, you could literally put this thing in 3rd and run all over the mountains with it from 3k rpm up quite comfortably <grin> even though I was not able to run it up the rpm range, it having a 10k redline put a smile on my face knowing the power it feels like it has at lower rpm.

The demo bike had the electrically controlled suspension on it, I was impressed how well it worked! and how well the suspension felt! Sit on the bike turn on the bike hold down the button and let the bike figure out your weight, It only took a moment, want to add some luggage push the button again and it switches mode and adjusts the suspension, you can switch from one up rider two up rider and/or with luggage, then go for a ride. While riding you can switch from comfort normal or sport mode, and you can feel the difference quite well!

What really impressed me at this point was how predictable the handling was on this bike, nothing seemed to effect the way it took curves (keep in mind we were not running 80mph) saying this I mean bumps in the curves (and I hit them on purpose man hole covers and any rough spots I could find) none seemed to make any difference in the way the bike handled the curve at any degree of lean I was able to get it to on the demo ride, it took right turns from one street to another just as good as it did a sweeper or a nice curvy road. like I said I was impressed how smooth this bike handled, you can press on the bar and the bike goes eggzactly how you want it to, it will steer as fast as you want it IMHO no surprises at all with this bike.

The weight balance and COG seems to be very very good!

The brakes seem much smoother than my '02 LT power assisted brakes, no grabbing no Oh crap feeling because you hit them to hard, i think this brake system is the best I have ever rode on any bike, BMW has their act together on this one!

The factory windscreen is too short to me, in full up position I got a full face of wind, however it was not dirty wind, I didn't get any head buffeting then again remember i was not able to ride 80mph down the interstate.

At first i thought the seat was going to bite, but it felt completely different while actually riding the bike, I guess with my feet up and arms actually out it was more more ergonomically fit for me

(I wonder if they will notice the mile 0 from key west on it now,
only kidding BMW!!, Bob warned them to keep a eye on me I might put 1000 miles on it.

BTW I ordered two of them one for me and one for the MRS (that is as long as the MRS doesn't find out <grin>

I may think of more later but I have to head to FL in the am.

BMW has their act together on this bike, I would buy one, I also can see it being a replacement for the K1200LT for me. just keep in mind I don;t ride two up very often any more plus I would want to ride one down the interstate at 80ish MPH before purchasing one or two actually, I can see this bike definitely replacing the R1200RT

Tom

See less See more
#2 ·
tmgs said:
Ok I'm not good at writing but here is a bit on the NEW K1200GT

BMW has their act together on this bike, I would buy one, I also can see it being a replacement for the K1200LT for me. just keep in mind I don;t ride two up very often any more plus I would want to ride one down the interstate at 80ish MPH before purchasing one or two actually, I can see this bike definitely replacing the R1200RT

Tom

OH BTW I forgot to mention this!

JEFF you suck!

(he already has one GT on the way! <big grin>)

#3 ·
Tom - thanks for the ride post! Good detail. I saw the bike at the show, looks like BMW is going to have a great selling bike on their hands.

I'm currently waiting for delivery on a 2006 FJR1300 from Yamaha. I've always had great respect for the FJR and can't wait to get my hands on it in early April. I've got to admit though that the 1200GT has me second guessing my decision to go with the FJR. Really what bothers me the most about the FJR compared to the GT is the lack of factory installed cruise control and heated seats. I'm having he dealer install heated grips and I can live without the ESA (although it would be nice to have). The big selling point for me (in addition to FJR's awsome reputation) was the fact that I'm paying under $13k "out the door" for the FJR. This allows me to keep the LT whereas if I was paying $21k+ for the GT I'd have to sell my LT.

So... looks like no GT for me.

See you in April up at the Ironhorse.

Marc

#4 ·
Marcf said:
I'm currently waiting for delivery on a 2006 FJR1300 from Yamaha. I've always had great respect for the FJR and can't wait to get my hands on it in early April. I've got to admit though that the 1200GT has me second guessing my decision to go with the FJR. Really what bothers me the most about the FJR compared to the GT is the lack of factory installed cruise control and heated seats. I'm having he dealer install heated grips and I can live without the ESA (although it would be nice to have). The big selling point for me (in addition to FJR's awsome reputation) was the fact that I'm paying under $13k "out the door" for the FJR. This allows me to keep the LT whereas if I was paying $21k+ for the GT I'd have to sell my LT.
There in lies the rub! BMW is directly targeting the FJR and the ST1300, or so they say, but the pricing doesn't work! They are going to get few conquest sales at a $21,000 price point compared to $13 or $14K for the competition. The Beemer might just be more of a Luxo-Sport Tourer but the gap is too wide. I guess it's all part of the New Premium Brand hype! Expensive bikes, fewer dealers and greater purchasing and operating costs! :bmw: Oh my!

#5 ·
Marcf said:
Tom - thanks for the ride post! Good detail. I saw the bike at the show, looks like BMW is going to have a great selling bike on their hands.

Marc

Thanks Marc, I rode a FJR a bit up here, it was a sweet bike for sure, buit no way can I handle the footpeg location for long distances the FJR has, the GT is a much more comfortable riding position for me, jjust keep in mind I have a few rough body parts <g>

Tom

#6 ·
JATownsend said:
There in lies the rub! BMW is directly targeting the FJR and the ST1300, or so they say, but the pricing doesn't work! They are going to get few conquest sales at a $21,000 price point compared to $13 or $14K for the competition. The Beemer might just be more of a Luxo-Sport Tourer but the gap is too wide. I guess it's all part of the New Premium Brand hype! Expensive bikes, fewer dealers and greater purchasing and operating costs! :bmw: Oh my!
I'll have to see what deals they do with the options on the bike, the 18.9k? base price is fine for this bike, it's no more than the lt for sure<g> start pushing 21k and it might be a differrent story

Tom

#7 ·
Marcf said:

Marc
Oh the FJR is most definitly a good deal! it's a sweet bike, had I been able to take the ride position it would probably be in my garage, a set of shocks to raise it up somewhat and it would make a great bike for riding up here.

Thanks

Tom

#8 ·
JATownsend said:
Yep, NOW I get it. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.