We rode the new GT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Cool We rode the new GT!

Greetings,

Carol and I were at the Atlanta, Cycle World Show yesterday. We were able to ride the new GT.

The rider's position is excellent. Handlebar, seat and foot peg relationship was perfect. A bit more sporting than our LT (foot pegs up and back). I'm 6'1'' and loved the position. Especially the knee indentions in the faux fuel tank. The handlebars were adjusted at the top of the extension. Yes, they are adjustable up and down about five inches.

I found it very difficult to ride and shift gears smoothly, at first. The transmission shifts very easily, but makes a loud clump each shift. The tranny shifting sounded much like my old Honda Pacific Coast. The engine makes a turbo sound all the time. Yes, it sounds like is has a turbo charged engine.

With Carol on the pillion, the bike handled perfectly. I loved the ESA. THIS WAS THE MOST SATISFYING BIKE, RIDING DOUBLE, THAT I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED! The GT has plenty of cornering clearance. As far as power, I really did not get a chance to use the 150 or so horses. Apparently, the power only comes in over 6K rpm. The demo ride did not allow any room to really test the horsepower (although Carol thought differently). I was impressed with the room on the saddle for the two of us.

My wife Carol is a long distance LT rider. She says, "As a back seat rider, it was very comfortable. Except when Allen took off real fast, I had to hold on for dear life! I'm not used to riding without a back-rest. This is a nice summer bike [doesn't have heated back-rest like the LT]. I really could not tell that much difference [reffering to the LT] in anything. Comfort, wind protection, seat all okay."

The wind protection for the driver was very good. I can see that this will be a very successful bike. I congratulate BMW for doing their homework!

All things considered, I still love the LT. I like the low end torque (compared to the new GT) and the more up-right riding position. Returning to the LT reminded me how well the LT handles.

If I were in the market and starting over with an expensive bike, the GT would definitely be on my list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	em6.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	2616   Click image for larger version

Name:	em7.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	2617  

Last edited by wardenross; Mar 19th, 2006 at 4:59 pm. Reason: add picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 5:10 pm

GT over an LT? NO way!

Thanks for sharing the test drive with us; I hope the GT does really well, I think BMW deserves more sales and recognition for the motorcycle products they put out.

But the LT is easily one of the best bikes ever conceived!

Horsepower is very over-rated in the motorcycle market (good for sales and promotion but boring!) and has very little to do with making a good bike that will stand the test of time in my opinion. In other words, there are other attributes in a motorcycle that are far more important than horsepower and the LT engineers grasped that concept back in the 90's.

The LT is in an elite league of its own; including pride of ownership that Harley owners crow about all the time.
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Stop!

With the ever favorable new GT reports! My bank account can't handle it!

Thanks for the ride along!

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'13 SILVA K1600GTL

post #4 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 7:39 pm

Glad to hear the rave review. My buddy rode it today down in Atlanta and was very excited as well. I think BMW has a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
The LT is in an elite league of its own...
I have to disagree with you there. Almost every bike worth it's salt has a loyal following that they think is an "elite league". Take my ZX-11 Ninja for example. Us proud ZX-11 owners STILL think it is unmatched in just about every aspect in the sport-tourer market today.
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Oh, one other thing.

Forgot to mention this:

There was no engine heat!

I don't know where the heat was, but it wasn't on me! FJR, and Honda ST owners, cry me a river! Ha!
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 20th, 2006, 5:14 pm

I understand your admiration for the ZX 11 Joe, but there are other motorcycles that compare very nicely with it within and outside the sport touring class. The problem with the majority of bikes on the market, including the sport touring class, is lack of wind protection. They [sport touring] have better wind protection than most but not good enough in my opinion. Moreover, catching all the wind directly to your helmet is unacceptable to me and makes for an unpleasant ride experience. I'm all about comfort on the bike so that I can relax, but I suppose others have other goals in mind when riding motorcycles. I rarely close my helmet visor on the LT and that's worth a lot to me. Playing music and hearing it clearly is important to me too. Oh well, I just love this sporty wagon-like couch... what can I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Glad to hear the rave review. My buddy rode it today down in Atlanta and was very excited as well. I think BMW has a winner.

I have to disagree with you there. Almost every bike worth it's salt has a loyal following that they think is an "elite league". Take my ZX-11 Ninja for example. Us proud ZX-11 owners STILL think it is unmatched in just about every aspect in the sport-tourer market today.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in