Atlanta Motorcycle show - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 11:49 am Thread Starter

Atlanta Motorcycle show

A friend just called and said the new GT is there, it sounds sweet!, I can't wait till tomorrow to get there!

So anyone wnat to buy a 2002 K1200LTC with a extended service contract till august of 2009? it only has 116k miles on it <big grin>

some one tell me not to go look at it!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 12:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
A friend just called and said the new GT is there, it sounds sweet!, I can't wait till tomorrow to get there!

So anyone wnat to buy a 2002 K1200LTC with a extended service contract till august of 2009? it only has 116k miles on it <big grin>

some one tell me not to go look at it!

Tom

Ahh HA! i have a demo ride on it tomorrow am!

Someone STOP me! <grin>

Tom

post #3 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 9:32 pm

Tom, what did you think of the GT? I rode down early this morning and the GT was booked until 2:30. I rode the K1200S and the R1200RT this morning (while waiting for the show to open), then came back to ride the GT after lunch.

It took me about four stoplights to stop cranking the throttle like it was my LT. The bike sure had plenty of power, and handled well, although not quite as nimbly as the lighter RT.

I was a little disappointed with the wind protection. I couldn't tell much difference with the shield raised, so I put it down out of the way. I'm sure Cee Baileys will have an aftermarket shield soon.

It didn't take long for that extra power and light throttle response to spoil me. When I got back on my LT it felt like driving a car with the parking brake engaged. Still, it has one attribute the GT lacks: it's mine and it's paid for.

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
Ahh HA! i have a demo ride on it tomorrow am!

Someone STOP me! <grin>
Tom, GT is a good looking bike for sure, but my favorite was the R1200GS Adventure, it got a lot of attention... I had to wait my turn just to sit on it.

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #5 of 10 Old Mar 18th, 2006, 10:45 pm

Cool

I just saw the K1200RT, in Daytona, last weekend. I didn't get to ride it, but did sit on it. Looks to me like the fairing design is not good enough to protect from rain and cold, like the LT does. My LTE has really spoiled me in that regard. After having to use a snorkel and 22 layers of clothing on my Harley Low Rider, I sure don't want to have to go back to that.

Unless there are some after market fairing and windshield add ons, I don't think the RT will be for me, not just yet, anyway. Maybe BMW will make improvements with future models. I sure would like to have all that power and less weight.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:20 am

I didn't care for the looks, but maybe that's just me. I didn't even sit on it. I did throw my leg over the "S" again with Connie there. I don't need to test ride any of these.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:44 am

Steve...how did the Connie "low seat to fit my short inseam" bike tryout go? Favorites? Any Bemmers make the short list?

Dave...as you know, I am quite familiar with battery issues. What kind did you have and how long have you had it?

Al Hennigan
'03 Anthracite LTE
'09 GS Adventure
Middle Tennessee

Last edited by Ranger6; Mar 19th, 2006 at 12:43 pm.
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 3:47 pm

[QUOTE=Ranger6]Steve...how did the Connie "low seat to fit my short inseam" bike tryout go? Favorites? Any Bemmers make the short list?
[QUOTE]

Yep the F650GW with the lowered shocks made the list. She liked the seat on the Vulcan 750 because it gave her a little more support on her lower back. A little scuptling, i.e. Rick Mayer, and I think we could bring another Beemer to the house.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I just saw the K1200RT, in Daytona, last weekend. I didn't get to ride it, but did sit on it. Looks to me like the fairing design is not good enough to protect from rain and cold, like the LT does. My LTE has

I get better wind protection from the wifes '02 RT then I do from my LT, I have test rode the R1200Rt as well and thought it was fine if you put a bigger windscreen onn it, I test rode that K1200GT today and see no issue with wind protection but you will need a taller windshield

Tom

post #10 of 10 Old Mar 19th, 2006, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
Tom, what did you think of the GT? I rode down early this morning and the GT was booked until 2:30. I rode the K1200S and the R1200RT this morning (while waiting for the show to open), then came back to ride the GT after lunch.

It took me about four stoplights to stop cranking the throttle like it was my LT. The bike sure had plenty of power, and handled well, although not quite as nimbly as the lighter RT.

I was a little disappointed with the wind protection. I couldn't tell much difference with the shield raised, so I put it down out of the way. I'm sure Cee Baileys will have an aftermarket shield soon.

It didn't take long for that extra power and light throttle response to spoil me. When I got back on my LT it felt like driving a car with the parking brake engaged. Still, it has one attribute the GT lacks: it's mine and it's paid for.

I loved it to tell the truth, I should not have rode it cause I really want a R1200GS but after today I'm not sure which to choose ................ so the wife said order two

Now I have to be the responsible one! (damn wimmens don't ever let them ride thier own! <grin>)

Tom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in