About soft bags saddle/top bags liners - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 1:37 am Thread Starter

About soft bags saddle/top bags liners

The question is about liners' - do they help to carry more things ? The important thing here is whether they really fit exactly to the cases ? I presume that if they fit well, this will even improve the baggage volume that can be put inside. This is essential as for the ling trips baggage issue is always on.

So, do they increase or decrease the baggage volume ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 8:08 am

Re: About soft bags saddle/top bags liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotys
The question is about liners' - do they help to carry more things ? The important thing here is whether they really fit exactly to the cases ? I presume that if they fit well, this will even improve the baggage volume that can be put inside. This is essential as for the ling trips baggage issue is always on.

So, do they increase or decrease the baggage volume ?
That is a great question.

I have the BMW liners. The side case liners are an amazingly perfect fit for the side cases. In fact, if you overpack a liner with the slightest bulge, the side case lids won't close.

One issue with the BMW side case liner design is that the zipper runs along the middle of the top. To get at your stuff while you are out on a ride, you must take the liner out, or at least tip the liner far enough out of the side case to get at the zipper. The middle zipper means that most pack everything through the top - it isn't designed to be packed while it lays on its side.

There are non-BMW side case liners with two zippers - one on each edge of the liner. Those liners are easier to pack, because you can unzip the entire side flap of the liner with the liner laying on its side. It is also much easier to get at your stuff while you are out on a ride - the edge zipper is convenient to access, and you can unzip it to expose the top edge to get at snacks or drinks or whatever.

I also have the BMW 49 liter top case liner. It is a very good fit, but there is a little room at the top and along the sides. The empty space works out well to access small unpacked items such a jacket liner or a snack or a clipboard on top and spare gloves on the side edge for changing as you ride. The zipper runs along the top edge (more or less) and is very convenient for access.

The BMW liners are made of a heavy material, so you might be able to pack a tiny bit more if you buy a cheap liner made of thinner material. The bottom of the BMW liner is made of thick rubber. it is strong and durable. With the rubber bottom and the heavy cordura material, the BMW liners are quite stiff and stand up on their own.

Hopefully some of the others will chime in about their non-BMW liners.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 8:42 am Thread Starter

XMagnaRider,

Thanks for input. BMW liners really looks better amd stronger.. If you say that the side liners fit perfectly to the internal shape of the pannier, then the 1 milimeter more thickness of the material is not an issue. I think for the side liners here is the trick - both liner and pannier to have mirror shape.

What concerns to the top case, I think it could be used any bag withsimilar volume. The idea comes from what you say - there should be some room for gloves, snacks, water etc. - thinks that often is needed during the day.

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Smile Re: About soft bags saddle/top bags liners

I just purchased Kathy's Journey Designs side case liners for my K1300 GT from Bob's BMW and found the fit to be excellent. I had previously used LT side case liners, but they were too big and had to be stuffed along the edges to get the side case lid to close. I packed all my essentials (tire pressure gauge, first aid kit, extra oil, etc. that I had in my LT bag liner into the new bags and had room to spare. The Kathy's liners are rugged and in my view with reasonable care will last as long as you own the bike. The good news is the pair cost $109 - that's for the pair. If the BMW bags costs anywhere near what their LT bags did, you could wear out several Kathy's bags long before you paid for the BMW ones. My .02 cents worth.

Denny
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 1:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Been perfectly happy with my Cee Bailey's Bag Liners. Light weight, good construction, fit the bags well, and as mentioned, they zip along the outer edges so you can lay them flat to pack, then get into them while they're in the bike. Not bad for $79.

I had a trunk bag liner for the LT, but found that I rarely used it, as I preferred to keep things loose and easily accessible in the trunk. At night it was just grab one (or both) bag liners and head into the room, leaving the trunk stuff alone.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 16th, 2011, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotys
XMagnaRider,

Thanks for input. BMW liners really looks better amd stronger.. If you say that the side liners fit perfectly to the internal shape of the pannier, then the 1 milimeter more thickness of the material is not an issue. I think for the side liners here is the trick - both liner and pannier to have mirror shape.

What concerns to the top case, I think it could be used any bag withsimilar volume. The idea comes from what you say - there should be some room for gloves, snacks, water etc. - thinks that often is needed during the day.
Yes. The BMW side case liners are as close to a perfect fit as possible. They are exceptionally well made and durable. They are also very expensive, and the zipper design isn't the best. If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought the Cee Bailey liners that Meese recommends and pocket the difference.

Overall, I am pleased with my BMW liners. If they are what you really want, you will not be disappointed.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 27th, 2011, 4:05 pm

I have BMW bag liners for the side luggage and a Cee Baileys for my top-case. The BMW liners fit the cases well, while the CB leaves some space but that could be the design as suggested by other posters. The quality is good for both manufacturers.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 27th, 2011, 4:14 pm

I have the BMW liners. One reason, I needed them, is when you have a lot of small parts floating around, it is easy to get the lock jammed. ( trust me, as i found out the hard way!!)
They fit the cases perfectly.

Larry
2009 Deep Blue K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in