Scotland 2011 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Scotland 2011

Just spent a fantastic long weekend in Scotland on the K12GT. Did 1300 miles in 4 days on some awesome roads with breathtaking scenery. Sure the weather at times was ..... um .... challenging but who cares when you're surrounded by natures beauty.

Anyone who's in the area make sure you use the Wester Ross Coastal Trail and go over the Applecross Pass. Absolutely stunning.

The K performed fantastically and made the 1300 miles easy

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 2:39 pm

Re: Scotland 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
Just spent a fantastic long weekend in Scotland on the K12GT. Did 1300 miles in 4 days on some awesome roads with breathtaking scenery. Sure the weather at times was ..... um .... challenging but who cares when you're surrounded by natures beauty.

Anyone who's in the area make sure you use the Wester Ross Coastal Trail and go over the Applecross Pass. Absolutely stunning.

The K performed fantastically and made the 1300 miles easy
Off up there next week to the bmw club meeting at Blair Athol couple of us going over Applecross i think.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 1st, 2011, 3:28 pm

Any favorite pics? One of my 'dreams' is to fly my bike to London and explore north for a while. I have been advised it is cheaper and a lot less logistical hassle to just rent a bike but it just wouldn't be the same dream then!

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

to be honest I'm hopeless at remembering to take photos

I tend to be enjoying myself that much riding I don't stop for pics

Travelling back over Glencoe at dusk was almost mystical

Do bear in mind tho' it's a LONG way from London Certainly on overcrowded southern UK roads. About 700 miles to get to say Ullapool Flying into Manchester or better still Glasgow would make it a lot easier.

Not had anything to do with this company but they have BM's for rental

http://scotlandbybike.com/

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by slparry; Sep 2nd, 2011 at 12:37 pm.
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry

* Snip

Do bear in mind tho' it's a LONG way from London Certainly on overcrowded southern UK roads. About 700 miles to get to say Ullapool Flying into Manchester or better still Glasgow would make it a lot easier.

Not had anything to do with this company but they have BM's for rental

http://scotlandbybike.com/

Gosh, thanks. Mystical is the right word for it.

Actually, yes, it is a long way from London. I can air ship the bike out of Toronto, Canada direct to Hethrow (sp?). It takes 4 days of prep/fly/de-prep/inspect though. No biggy.

I would ride east first and then turn south to see the southern sites as well and try to ride up the western side of the island. Scotland is a temporary destination as I would travel back down the east side and visit the supposed location of 'Troy' and then catch the Chunnel and continue roaming. Yea, I know, big dreams, small pocket book...LOL

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #6 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 1:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

well if it helps eek out the budget you're welcome to the spare room here (Wales) for the night

The north and west of the UK is generally the most scenic, the south east (London) is the most heavily populated and as such is not so pleasant. The south west is pretty but in the summer gets too many tourists, the east is often flat and not so interesting from a bike point of view.

Scotland, Wales and the Lake District & the dales (part of England) are possibly the most scenic areas of the UK.

One other possibility is to buy a cheap bike in the UK, holiday on it then sell it when you go home. A friend of mine's recently bought a lovely BMW K1 for 1600 uk pounds from ebay, he used it to come to Scotland with us and it never missed a beat. I'd imagine you'd be able to ebay it back out at least the same amount back, never know may even make a profit

this one in fact

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in