Day trip Comparison... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Day trip Comparison...

My 10 year old daughter, who has been my occasional riding partner for the last 3 or so years, was in a position where she will be doing some out of state correspondence this Fall. Her plan was to visit a Michigan Welcome Center and pick up some literature on some of her favorite things to do, then write letters and mail the literature out. Good plan and a great excuse to put some light touring miles on the scoot.

Saturday 13-Aug she decided we needed to take the Harley Ultra because she was not familiar with the new BMW and didn't want to chance it. We climbed aboard and in the sunshine and moderate temps of the mid '70's we headed out of Metro Detroit towards Port Huron. As usual I set the cruise around 75 MPH and rumbled our way to the northeast. Unfortunately, to our surprise, the Welcome Center in Port Huron was not just closed but it was gone! Reduced to a pile of dirt for the nearby construction going on for the Water Street bridge project. We dinked around visiting parks and such and then rode home. The wind was off the nose on the way home and probably about 20 MPH. That, added to the 75 MPH bike speed, and the wakes from cars, utilities, and trucks, made for a rough ride due to wind buffeting. It is a rare occurrence when this happens but when it does it can be pretty rough.

On Sunday 14-Aug we decided to try again but this time head for the Welcome Center on northbound I-75 just north of the Ohio border. We knew this one was there as we stopped a few weeks ago at the Rest Area on a family trip. To my surprise my riding partner said she wanted to take the BMW this time since the Ultra was so uncomfortable yesterday.

Other than riding to work a few times and taking some short test rides trying out suspension settings, this would be my first 'trip' on the K1200GT. We departed in the rain with temps in the high '60's and headed south. Based on the nooks and crannies of this bike and the low mileage, I figure this was its first rain excursion; it better get used to it while under me! My old K1100LT and my recently sold R1200GS were all-weather bikes even seeing hail, sleet, rain, snow, and hot sunny days.

During the ride at the same 75 MPH speeds we felt very little buffeting even though we had a similar wind condition (I must add, however, it has a Cee Bailey shield). Also, my Aerostich was left unzipped and I did not get wet, just my face shield. My hands and arms got a bit wet but my daughter saw no water at all! To my surprise she said upon getting home... "that was fun, we will take this bike next time, okay Dad?" Wow, what a surprise!

So there you have the ride report of a 10 year old used to the back seat of an Ultra as we have roamed the planet the last 3 years together... we'll take the K1200GT from now on!

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Re: Day trip Comparison...

smart kid

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Aug 14th, 2011, 10:51 pm

Re: Day trip Comparison...

The honesty of children is unsurpassed.

Bill

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in