Seat Advise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 10th, 2011, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Seat Advise

Looking to purchase a Corbin or a Russell seat. Has anyone tried both? Any feedback on your experience with them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 4:16 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Seat Advise

Corbins tend to be very hard and very flat, which works well for some folks, but not for others. I tried one and hated it myself.

My next seat will be a Russell Day-Long, custom fit to my anatomy and my specifications. It ain't cheap, but they do an amazing job . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 2:53 pm

Smile Re: Seat Advise

Several of us have Rich's custom saddles as well (located near Seattle). I never thought much beyond the OME saddle that came with my original BMW, but after long trips on the Rich's custom seat I'm sold. It's another vendor you might take a look at. You can make an appointment and they will have you out that day. They have a camping area with a full bath room including a shower for free, or they also have a very nice apartment for a nominal fee.

Good luck - money well spent.

Denny

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 8:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Corbins tend to be very hard and very flat, which works well for some folks, but not for others. I tried one and hated it myself.

My next seat will be a Russell Day-Long, custom fit to my anatomy and my specifications. It ain't cheap, but they do an amazing job . . .

Ken,

I think I've read you've had a Rick Mayer seat in the past. Were you unhappy with it?

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 11th, 2011, 8:48 pm

I love oil, tire, and seat threads! lol

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 12:16 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Well, I tried to minimize this and stick to the original question, as a seat thread can be as interesting as an oil thread, but since you asked . . .

I've put over 230K miles on Bill (Rocky) Mayer saddles on an LT and three GTs. They are a huge improvement over stock, and his staff does a fine job. Their technique is to use a foam base that is pre-molded into an ergonomic shape (think of those old metal tractor seats, or the butt imprint left after sitting in the sand). These pre-molded bases come in different densities for different weight riders, and are custom fitted based on your measurements and how you sit on the bike.

Honestly, my biggest issue was convincing them that yes, I did have plenty of inseam and yes, I did want to sit very far up and back to get myself in the best ergonomic position (as verified by my chiropractor). I think they get many more requests to lower the seat than to raise it, especially with the taller Beemers. Once we got that sorted, the saddle was very comfortable for long days.

But remember I'm the extreme here. I'm riding multiple 1,000-1,500 mile days, and averaging 45K miles per year and I find that eventually, the padding just starts to break down. I've had my GT seat rebuilt a couple of times in 176K miles, and it's due for another rebuild. So I've been looking at other options.

The Russell Day-Long is based on Bill Mayer's original design, which has two metal wings that support most of your weight, surrounded by high-quality foam. This design is a better fit for riders over 240 lbs or so, as the wings take up most of the weight, leaving the foam for comfort rather than main support. I'm hoping this design will also support me on my big-mileage rides, and hold up better over the long term.

In contrast, Rick Mayer carves out the original foam and fits different densities of foam in different areas to support your weight. In that way, he manages good overall support while minimizing hot spots. I've heard him described with respect as an ass-artist who knows his stuff.

In my experience, Rocky is a quality high-volume production shop with lots of happy customers, but if you fall outside their normal range then you may not be as satisfied.

By all accounts, Rick is an artist and while some riders fault his business sense (mostly poor communication), everyone who has one of his saddles loves it.

And my research into Russell tells me they make a great saddle, with the only complaints being from shorter riders who have a harder time reaching the ground due to the increased saddle height.

Since that's not a problem for me, then Russell is my next choice.

There are other custom seat manufacturers, of course, but since I have little direct experience (either saddle time or trusted friends who own them) with Rich's, Kontour, Cee Bailey's or any of the others, then I have less to say about them.

I will say, in deference to the original question, that there is a huge difference between the custom seat manufacturers as listed above, and the replacement seat vendors such as Corbin and Sargent. Those guys have a one-size-fits-all philosophy, and the only way to see if their one-size fits you is to buy it and try it. No, thanks.

Hope that helps.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 12th, 2011, 2:15 pm

I've got a Corbin....like sitting on plywood. I put the stock seat back on. Miss the backrest though.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in