K1200GT pricing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

K1200GT pricing

I have noticed that the prices of the K1200GT and K1300GT's are a bit lower than similar model year and mileage R1200RT's. While shopping for an RT I cannot help but notice.

A for instance is a 2007 RT with about 18k miles is sitting waiting for me to call at $13,500. About expected. A 2006 K1200GT just hit the listings with 9.5k miles for $9,800. A similar pricing spread is noticeable on ebay as well.

I had not really considered a GT due to the more 'sporty' riding position. My old K75s was too radical for me and that is why I was shopping for an RT now; I don't want to love a bike but hate the riding position again like with the K75s. However, $4,000 is a lot of money.

So why are they priced lower? If I remember correctly the original list price was more. So I have some wonders. Is it because:

a. there is more churn in the GT line? Gen I K1200's are really cheap. Gen 2 was replaced by the K1300 and now the K1600 in rapid fire succession in a quest for supreme king of the hill glory. Maybe the quest for the latest is causing this?

b. the riding position is terrible and the market is smaller than those wanting an RT?

c. they are terrible bikes and nobody wants them anymore?

d. they are 'K' bikes and not opposed boxer twins so not real BMW's so they have to be discounted?

e. the insurance is twice that of an RT and it uses more fuel?

f. it doesn't make a good commuter bike?

g. what is it?

So I had not really considered a K1200GT or K1300GT as part of my shopping spree. My concern is mainly riding position. How bad is it compared to an RT?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Edit: actually, not so much compared to the RT but how is the 2006 K1200GT riding position compared with the K1100LT? That was likely my most favorite of all of them so far.

regards,
Dan

2006 K1200GT - the Jagdpanther has arrived as of 5-Aug-2011
1999 Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s

Last edited by dceggert; Jul 20th, 2011 at 10:05 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 21st, 2011, 2:13 pm

Re: K1200GT pricing

I don't know if they came up with a retron fix, but the K1200Gt's I rode were impossible to ride smoothly. The throttle response was totally irritating. it was either on or off, no ability to smoothly apply power.

this was fixed with the K1300 and the 1200rt was neve like that in my experience.

this alone would prevent me from ever buying a K1200GT.

the riding position is more aggressive then an Rt and the wheelbase is longer .

But that can all be dealt with with Barbacks, pegs and seat adjustments. Certainly not like a full blown Sport Bike!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:22 pm

I think the pricing issue has to do more with the fact that the RT lives on while the GT has been replaced by a whole new model. This has put selling pressure on previous years bikes because they are being sold or traded in as buyers move up to the new model.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Okay, here is an update...I have been reading about the cam drive issues with the K1200/K1300 engine (and possibly with the K1600's as well) and it has certainly raised my eyebrows. I have yet to ride the K1200GT offered locally (likely tomorrow, Saturday 7/23/2011) but what I am reading is turning me off. I will certainly be listening for the start up rattle noise that is symptomatic of that issue.

I know it is just a few hundred dollars in parts and a few hours to 'fix' it (preventative maintenance) but I was shopping for a bike that I could just get on and ride instead of wrenching on it like I am doing almost continuously with my present ride.

regards,
Dan

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 6:51 pm

Hello All! My first post here:

I have an 04 1150GS that I will never part with, 80,000 miles and running great. I spend a LOT of time in the woods with her.

That being said, I have also been craving something with much more horsepower. I have been laid up after some shoulder surgery and have had much time to ponder what would satisfy my need for speed.

The short list (controlled much by budget) came down to either a '10-'11 new Kawasaki Connie or a 08-09 GT. I really didn't look hard at an RT, just for HP reasons.

After much internal struggle I made up my mind on the GT. The next day a new ad popped up on IBMWR's site for a well farkled 08 for around 13,700. I found other bikes like it with a few less mile for a few less dollars but what pushed this one over the top were the farkles, GPS, top of the line autocom, Russell day long. I would have had to drop anther 2 grand in all this stuff easy plus the down time needed to make it happen. The deal was right for me and I think the seller felt good about it.

The K12/13's have high performance mills. 152/160 HP. The cost of those extra ponies is more care and feeding. All bike have issues. It comes down to what you really want out of the bike. What will put the crap eating, hard to remove grin on your face when you twist the right wrist!

I would not make a decision to buy or not buy a particular model based on what you read on internet forums. Looking at the Kawasaki forums, you would think every single 08 Connie rider had heat blisters on his right shin! I know 2 of them and their shins are unscared. Sure this cam chain issue could be really bad but because the folks that did have troubles posted their info we are all better ready to deal with the situation.

Good luck on your search and let us know what you come up with!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 K1200GT
'04 1150 GS w/ ADV Tank
'05 F650 GS (My Wife's)
'00 Yamaha Drag Star 1100 (Sold, When I lived in Japan)
'94 Yamaha 400 Virago (Wife's, sold)
'83 Gold Wing (Sold)
'80 GSXR 400 (Sold, From when I lived in Japan in the 80's)
'83 Yamaha Maxium 550 (I got that one brand new from the dealer, Gave it to my best friend when I joined the Air Force)
'71 Yamaha LT 100 (Rode to death!)
[/
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 8:16 pm Thread Starter

Frank,
Welcome to the forum, I guess. I am not sure I am qualified to say that really since I had not been here for so long, but who cares.

I test rode the 2006 GT today and committed to buying it! What struck me is how much it reminded me of my old K1100LT except for when I nailed the throttle. When I did that, well all I can say is, it felt like the K1100LT with a turbo.

I read about camdrive rattle on startup... none; twitchy throttle...nope; unable to ride smooth... nope! So a 2006 GT with only 13k miles, Cee Bailey screen, lowered pegs, and bar backs will soon be mine! All it needs now is a 49-liter top case and a tank bag and I will have my old K1100LT back with a turbo and my knees don't crash into the fairing anymore! Exciting...

regards,
Dan

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 23rd, 2011, 10:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Congrats on finding your perfect bike, Dan.

As for the doom & gloom stories, you need to be aware of the potential issues with this bike, but I wouldn't stress about it. Most riders don't have any significant problems.

I do recommend installing the cam chain jump guard though. It's cheap insurance that can save you from a potentially catastrophic failure.

Also, I'd say flush out the final drive and refill it with fresh gear oil. Again, it's an inexpensive task that's worth your time.

As for the 49L trunk and tank bag, I may be able to help you out there. I have some bits taking up room in the garage . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 12:13 am

The RT and GT are really different bikes. At first I wanted the RT because I thought I'd like the twin engine, but after riding the GT, I was hooked. It seems you had a similar experience.

I think the uniqueness of the RT may help keep the price up. There are a lot of sport-touring bikes, but only one (that I know of) has the boxer twin engine. It seems somewhat natural the bike would depreciate more, because there's just so many options to chose from.

Congrats on the new bike.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Congrats on finding your perfect bike, Dan.

As for the doom & gloom stories, you need to be aware of the potential issues with this bike, but I wouldn't stress about it. Most riders don't have any significant problems.

I do recommend installing the cam chain jump guard though. It's cheap insurance that can save you from a potentially catastrophic failure.

Also, I'd say flush out the final drive and refill it with fresh gear oil. Again, it's an inexpensive task that's worth your time.

As for the 49L trunk and tank bag, I may be able to help you out there. I have some bits taking up room in the garage . . .
Ken,
Thanks! Yes, in hind sight getting drawn into the drama of the internet forum(s) ability to spread bad news was a mistake. I should have taken it into stride like I did with the rumors of 'spline failures' with my last K-bike. Remember all that hype? I sold my K1100LT to a gentleman looking for something with more zip than the Harley E-glide Classic he was riding. I sold it with just under 55k miles about 7 years ago and he is still riding it. I ran into him 2 years ago and he was well over 100k. I saw the bike parked at a band event last year but I didn't see him so it is still going strong... no spline failures.

130k miles + on your K1200GT? Wow, what killed it?

Thanks for the offer of assistance on the tank bag and top case; I will probably take you up on that once the bike is in my possession. I don't want to be getting stuff for the 'cart' before I bring home the 'horse' so to speak. Thanks for the wonderful offer.

One thing I will probably do before it comes home is rejoin the MOA. It has been a while that I have been out of the loop and it is good to 'be back.'

regards,
Dan

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s

Last edited by dceggert; Jul 24th, 2011 at 9:14 am.
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 9:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
The RT and GT are really different bikes. At first I wanted the RT because I thought I'd like the twin engine, but after riding the GT, I was hooked. It seems you had a similar experience.

I think the uniqueness of the RT may help keep the price up. There are a lot of sport-touring bikes, but only one (that I know of) has the boxer twin engine. It seems somewhat natural the bike would depreciate more, because there's just so many options to chose from.

Congrats on the new bike.

Bob,
Thanks!

Yup, I started down this path looking for an RT because when I was riding my GS I thought about how I was spending 90% of my time on pavement and for the few times I rode on gravel I would be better off with the comfort of the RT. I remember when the next gen GT came out and I downloaded all the pics, the sales brochure, and went to the dealer to look at them. I thought then (2005?) that it would be a great bike to have. I ended up with a used 2005 GS soon after and stopped drooling over other bikes and it disappeared out of my consiousness until recently scouring Craigslist for an RT. Then that GT popped one day. It took several days for me to call but once I saw the pictures it twiggeled my memory circuits and I had to see it and take it for a ride. That was all it took. In retrospect it is an interesting observation that my computer background, still to this day, is a dark and almost imperceptible picture of the silouett of a KGT with rider and passenger. I guess the GT never left my subconscious.

Time, age, and the mind sure play curious tricks on people!

regards,
Dan

Used to have:
2005 R1200GS
1994 K1100LT
1988 K75s
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 10:34 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Like I said, you need to be aware of the bike's weaknesses, but not to the point of paranoia.

My '07 GT developed a problem wit the cooling system and overheated badly. That was repaired, but it had caused some damage, and eventually the bike just quit running. An unusual failure, to be sure.

I''ll dig out the trunk and tank bag and take some pics. We can talk later.

MOA membership is quite useful. They produce a great magazine, their mileage contest is kinda fun, and the Anonymous book is invaluable if you need assistance. It's definitely worth the small yearly cost.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceggert
Frank,
Welcome to the forum, I guess. I am not sure I am qualified to say that really since I had not been here for so long, but who cares.
Thanks Dan, I think your qualified!!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

'08 K1200GT
'04 1150 GS w/ ADV Tank
'05 F650 GS (My Wife's)
'00 Yamaha Drag Star 1100 (Sold, When I lived in Japan)
'94 Yamaha 400 Virago (Wife's, sold)
'83 Gold Wing (Sold)
'80 GSXR 400 (Sold, From when I lived in Japan in the 80's)
'83 Yamaha Maxium 550 (I got that one brand new from the dealer, Gave it to my best friend when I joined the Air Force)
'71 Yamaha LT 100 (Rode to death!)
[/
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 24th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Like I said, you need to be aware of the bike's weaknesses, but not to the point of paranoia.

My '07 GT developed a problem wit the cooling system and overheated badly. That was repaired, but it had caused some damage, and eventually the bike just quit running. An unusual failure, to be sure.

I''ll dig out the trunk and tank bag and take some pics. We can talk later.

MOA membership is quite useful. They produce a great magazine, their mileage contest is kinda fun, and the Anonymous book is invaluable if you need assistance. It's definitely worth the small yearly cost.
What about the throttle response issue at low speeds?

Gone in the K1300GT

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 25th, 2011, 9:43 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomicman
What about the throttle response issue at low speeds?

Gone in the K1300GT
The fueling overall in the K13GT is much improved over the K12 bikes. Much of that has to do with a completely redesigned head and top end, and the latest airbox design.

Some of the K13 bikes had issues stalling at low speeds, like when you pull in the clutch when approaching a stop. That was eventually remedied with a software upgrade.

My K13GT runs just fine at any throttle opening, at any altitude, and at any ambient temp. That's how they all should have been from the beginning.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in