Hunter flat bars don't work for BMW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 17th, 2011, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Hunter flat bars don't work for BMW

I was adding a couple cigarette lighter sockets to the GT to charge my bluetooth headset, when I decided to try and install these flat bars (from Hunter) I picked up at Laguna Seca a couple years ago. These replace the handle bards with flatter bars that are supposed to be more ergonomic than round ones.

According to the installation instructions, I needed to saw off my handle bars. Before doing that, I decided to make sure this would work (one of my rare moments of planning). Starting with the clutch side, I removed the grip (broke the warmer wire), disassembled the clutch panel, and pulled apart the bar, and realized that these flat bars will not work on a BMW. They are for round, solid handle bars, not the assortment of parts that make up a BMW handle bar.

So, I put it back together, which was made difficult because I had pulled off all the plastic and removed the tank (I was searching for a dropped screw, which I never did find. I bought a replacement.) and had lost track of what screws went anywhere. I had never had the bike so apart before, and wasn't at a bit of a loss as to what went where. An attempt to track down my maintenance CD was fruitless (a house in transition is even more disorganized than normal). I also wasn't sure how the clutch console was supposed to be assembled.

My neighbor suggested putting back together what I knew how to do, and it would be easier to sort through the pieces that are left. I followed his advice, and when only the clutch console was left, there were only 5 screws to chose from, and I did figure out how to reassemble it.

So, my bike is ready to ride again. I plan to ride up to northern CA today. And if you're thinking about installing Hunter flat bars on your BMW, don't. It's a waste of time.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Re: Hunter flat bars don't work for BMW

Bob,

Can you share any hints about how to remove and replace worn-out rubber grips with new ones, without breaking the heating wires?
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:47 am Thread Starter

Yes, I think I can. The wire for the heating element feeds into the handle bar on the inside of the grip, slipping into a notch in the bar. It goes into the rubber grip near the outside end, on the inside of the grip. There isn't enough slack in the wire to pull the grip off without first freeing up the electric wire. You need to remove the plastic on the left side, and at least remove the wire from the hold downs and wire wraps. That should give you enough slack to pull off the grip.

But, if you're replacing the grips, then I imagine it'll come with a wire. I didn't look real closely, but the wires were embedded in the grip. There was no connector there, so you'll need to disconnect the heating wire and remove the grip with the wire. The connector on the other end is on the left side, near the handle bars, toward the top. If you follow the line it's pretty simple.

Where are you getting your new grips from? I need at least one.

When a government takes over a people’s economic life it becomes absolute, and when it has become absolute it destroys the arts, the minds, the liberties and the meaning of the people it governs.
- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 9:12 am Thread Starter

I didn't mention that there are two screws just under the inside edge of the grip that you need to remove. Then, the end piece, of course. The grips slide off after that, just make sure you have that heating wire loose.

- Maxwell Anderson

Bob
2007 K1200GT
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 20th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobnoxous
Yes, I think I can. The wire for the heating element feeds into the handle bar on the inside of the grip, slipping into a notch in the bar. It goes into the rubber grip near the outside end, on the inside of the grip. There isn't enough slack in the wire to pull the grip off without first freeing up the electric wire. You need to remove the plastic on the left side, and at least remove the wire from the hold downs and wire wraps. That should give you enough slack to pull off the grip.

But, if you're replacing the grips, then I imagine it'll come with a wire. I didn't look real closely, but the wires were embedded in the grip. There was no connector there, so you'll need to disconnect the heating wire and remove the grip with the wire. The connector on the other end is on the left side, near the handle bars, toward the top. If you follow the line it's pretty simple.

Where are you getting your new grips from? I need at least one.
I don't know. The grips are showing a lot of wear, and I thought I could buy the rubber part from the BMW dealer to replace them. Based on your input, I am guessing that:

1. The process is more complex than carefully slipping off the old and replacing with new.

2. The parts are a lot more expensive (because of the wires, etc.) than a simple molded rubber grip.

I will look into it more the next time I am at the dealers. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 12:29 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

We discovered that replacement grips for the LT are available, at a hefty price. Some enterprising riders discovered that you could get just the rubber grip portion from a K1100 bike for a lot less cash.

Don't know if that would work the same for the GT, but it's worth a look.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 22nd, 2011, 1:52 pm

I'd spend $10 on Grip Puppies before replacing the grips. I've had them on my K1200S and my RT and love them.
http://search.ascycles.com/search?w=...grip%20puppies

Glad to see you're feeling better Ken, good to have you back.

Fred Jewell
No longer president, River City Beemers
2009 R1200RT - Silver

BMWMOA #123779
BMWRA #38714
IBA #24559

"Shadowboxing the apocalypse, wandering the land"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in