Park-N-Ride - ? a good choice for the GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2011, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Question Park-N-Ride - ? a good choice for the GT

I recently purchased a 3" Park-N-Ride from Legal Speeding. They also make a 2" one for LTs and Goldwings. I was concerned about the clearance on the GT and request a 2" model, but was advised to purchase the 3" by Legal Speeding as the salesperson said it would work and would roll around easier than the 2".

I had read that some people have trouble using the Park-N-Ride with the GT. The Legal Speeding videos make it look very easy, but they are using a sports bike. I can tell you it is no where close to easy using it on the GT, at least not for me. There is limited room trying to roll it under the bike while on the side stand. If one is not carefull it will bang against the rear brake caliper and brake line while trying to center it under the bike. I must be very careful to move it out from under the bike before resting it on the side stand, as the brake caliper will hit the left rear wheel housing of the Park-N-Ride and pinch it between the floor and the brake caliper.

I have much difficulty getting it up on the center stand using the Park-N-Ride. I am 68" and 172 pounds. I have a friend that has an R1200GS and uses the Park-N-Ride without any problem. He is 72" and 208 pounds. He had difficulty getting my GT up on the Park-N-Ride, but could do it without placing a board under a tire. The instructions recommend placing a 1/2 piece of plywood under the rear tire if one is having difficulty getting a GT up on the stand. Doing this made it even more difficult. I discovered that by placing the plywood under the front tire, I was able to get it up on the stand, but not nearly as easly as putting it up on the center stand without the Park-N-Ride. I left a voice message and sent an email to Legal speeding day before yesterday, but have not received a reply. I'm sure that technique has a lot to do with it and I hope I get better with practice.

Has anyone else had experience using the Park-N-Ride with the K1200GT?

Thanks,

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Re: Park-N-Ride - ? a good choice for the GT

Excuse my ignorance...but what is Park-N-Ride thing?
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 6:33 pm

I think you are talking about this: "Park-n-Move".

http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm

I have one for my RR. A lot of the difficulty you are having is a result of the center stand being set for a driveway length which is below the level of the device. One thing I can suggest is to roll the front wheel, and maybe even the rear also, on a piece of 1/2" plywood to lift the bike, and then you will probably find that getting the center stand on the Park-N-Move is much easier to accomplish.

I have used it occasionally if I really need to move the bike around in my shop, but originally I wanted to use it as a turntable device to point head out. I cannot back into my shop due to a 10" rise ramp from the driveway to shop floor level. Mostly I park the bike in one spot anyway, so unless I really have some reason to move the bike in the shop with the door closed, I keep the device under my workbench out of the way. I really cant say that I get much use out of it and while it is a good idea, the practicality is a bit lacking. The other problem I noted is that it is a bit of a pain to get the bike off the device once you are on it. My floor is coated with epoxy resin surface protection and it is really slick. Trying to rock the bike off the center stand causes the Park-N-Move to slide even with the casters locked. I probably would not have that situation with a bare concrete floor. Net result is that I have to chock the Park-N-Move in addition to the locked casters, which is another problem.

This thing is a good idea that needs some work.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 12th, 2011, 8:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have one which is a little different for my Honda VTX1800 which has no center stand. It does take some practice to get used to it and you may want to add some anti-slip compound from the hardware store to the plate. If the 1/2" plywood won't help, try a 2x4 under the rear tire. Just bevel the edge at 45 degrees to make it easy to ride up on. I took mine apart and greased the axles, adding some powdered teflon to the grease. With that done, I think it's a great piece of equipment if you have limited space. One hand on the handle bar and one on the back rest lets me move it around any direction with ease. You do need a smooth clean floor for best results.

On a related note, I think with a little machining an air powered model could be made from 1/2" plate with an air valve installed to provide lift.

post #5 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
I think you are talking about this: "Park-n-Move".

http://www.legalspeeding.com/Park-n-Move.htm

I have one for my RR. A lot of the difficulty you are having is a result of the center stand being set for a driveway length which is below the level of the device. One thing I can suggest is to roll the front wheel, and maybe even the rear also, on a piece of 1/2" plywood to lift the bike, and then you will probably find that getting the center stand on the Park-N-Move is much easier to accomplish.

I have used it occasionally if I really need to move the bike around in my shop, but originally I wanted to use it as a turntable device to point head out. I cannot back into my shop due to a 10" rise ramp from the driveway to shop floor level. Mostly I park the bike in one spot anyway, so unless I really have some reason to move the bike in the shop with the door closed, I keep the device under my workbench out of the way. I really cant say that I get much use out of it and while it is a good idea, the practicality is a bit lacking. The other problem I noted is that it is a bit of a pain to get the bike off the device once you are on it. My floor is coated with epoxy resin surface protection and it is really slick. Trying to rock the bike off the center stand causes the Park-N-Move to slide even with the casters locked. I probably would not have that situation with a bare concrete floor. Net result is that I have to chock the Park-N-Move in addition to the locked casters, which is another problem.

This thing is a good idea that needs some work.
Doug:

You are absolutely correct. It is a Park-N-Move. I don't know where I came up with Park-N-Ride.

I purchased it so that I could easily push my bike up against the wall in my garage so that I can park my car and the bike on the same side of the garage as I am running out of space.

Thanks,

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #6 of 6 Old Jul 16th, 2011, 10:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwgt
Excuse my ignorance...but what is Park-N-Ride thing?
Sorry about that. See Doug's link.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in