I was thinking 06' GT.... but.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 6:06 pm Thread Starter

I was thinking 06' GT.... but....

I was seriously considering the new GT as an exchange for my 05' LT but there are a couple things that it doesn't have I believe I would miss. No central communication system or stereo....

There are also a list of extras that I would want to bring it up to the LT standards which would make the bike over the 20k range with tax (unless I traded my LT)....

What do you all think????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 6:17 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
You have several good options for communication systems, depending on your needs and price range. Baehr, Autocom, etc. will gladly help you out here. As for music, satellite radio or an iPod should take care of that easily enough. You can even get a GPS with XM and save valuable mounting space.

As for extras, I think you're gonna find the same thing with the '07 LT, except that you're starting at $20K then adding on from there.

But none of this matters until you test ride one. If it doesn't feel right, or if it feels great, then you'll know and all the rest is just trivialities.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 6:18 pm
Bouncer

I have a GT on order.

No central communications system? Good. BMW has yet to get it right anyway (especially for the price they charge -- do they price it according to its weight in gold?)

I'll go with the Autocom and integrate my Sirius Satellite, iPod, GPS, and FRS. Then I'm good to go.

We'll see in May!

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 6:57 pm Thread Starter

Jeff,

Is there a set of speakers on the bike though for the stereo?
Perhaps I overlooked?

I kinda knew you were ordering one

I'm in line for a test drive and the blue GT was what the dealer reccomended. What color did you order? features you added?
More, gimme more LOL!!

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 7:08 pm
Bouncer

No radio. No speakers.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 7:16 pm

C'mon Stew! I gots all that stuff on my '98 Ninja. Surely you can figure out how to get it wired up to the new GT!
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 7:26 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
No need for external speakers with a decent com system. I only use mine when working in the garage. If I could figure out how to remove them cleanly, I would. Hm, maybe I should just get a GT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2DOG
I was seriously considering the new GT as an exchange for my 05' LT but there are a couple things that it doesn't have I believe I would miss. No central communication system or stereo....

There are also a list of extras that I would want to bring it up to the LT standards which would make the bike over the 20k range with tax (unless I traded my LT)....

What do you all think????

If ya like the bike buy it, that's all that matters. you can alway;s add communications, why care about speakers for the bike anyhow, the only time they sound half decent is parked, JHMO

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Smile Gt

Pending a test ride (at least 100 miles): All I can see that's really wrong with the new GT is it will need a bigger windsheild (no biggee) and a Russell Seat. I'll prolly wait until '07. By then my LT will be over 230K and deserving of a rest.
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 8:52 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
I have a GT on order.

No central communications system? Good. BMW has yet to get it right anyway (especially for the price they charge -- do they price it according to its weight in gold?)

I'll go with the Autocom and integrate my Sirius Satellite, iPod, GPS, and FRS. Then I'm good to go.

We'll see in May!
Don't forget your radar detector!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 8:54 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Don't forget your radar detector!
I hear Jeff gets tickets whether he has one or not.
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2006, 9:02 pm Thread Starter

Hi Joe! I guess I can make it all good. After installing all the extra farkels and so on I should be able to attempt most anything! LOL!!

You would probably get a kick outa my latest project. My neighbor bought a 77 KZ1000 off of E bay and got screwed. It wouldn't even run. He took it to some joker and paid 500 bones and the bike still would not run. I asked him to bring it over to me and discovered that it had "z-e-r-o" comp on 1 and 2 and a bad coil. Swapped out 2 valve shims and put on a used coil and BAM! it kicked over instantly. So now I have it torn down to the frame and I'm restoring it for him. My time, his parts. I have gotten so familiar with this bike that I'm thinking of picking one up to have just to restore and play with.

Idle hands, sure, you bet..... NOT!

-
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 3:51 pm

Have not frequented the LT site as of late, and was shocked: What happened to "The Voice of Reason" on your avatar? Are you now just a troublemaker?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey John,

It's just me, same as always. Sometimes I like to mix things up, change the avatar picture, etc. Social Instigator came from my habit of dragging other reluctant riders together for dinner, or tech sessions, or a movie, and then having them say "that was fun, we should do it again." Doh!

BTW, that picture came from last year's six-week work/pleasure trip throughout the Pacific North West. I'm about to repeat that experience, so maybe I'll come up with a better pic and change it out again. You just never know.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Last edited by meese; Mar 13th, 2006 at 10:26 pm.
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 14th, 2006, 3:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
Are you now just a troublemaker?

Always has been just been real goot at hiding it

Tom
1999, Sweetheart
I live in my own little world, but itís okay they know me here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in