Why so hard to sell? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 9:57 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: , ,
Posts: 119
Why so hard to sell?

Hi all,
I am currently looking to get a used second generation K1200GT but the process has left me a more than a little concerned. While perusing various classifieds, it has become apparent that these bikes languish for sometime before they find “new” homes. At first I was overjoyed at the prospect of picking up a slightly used BMW cheaply, but now I am concerned.

Why do used K-bikes seem so hard to resell?

Thanks,
lcon2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:28 pm
IBR# 366
 
meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: West Linn, OR
Posts: 16,417
Garage
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Tough economy at the moment, so more people looking to sell pricey toys than buy.

But if you're in the mood to buy, that just means you have many choices . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
meese is offline  
post #3 of 21 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 6:33 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Tough economy at the moment, so more people looking to sell pricey toys than buy.

But if you're in the mood to buy, that just means you have many choices . . .
Plus one
Also most BMW bikes cost more then other makes (Honda ,Yamaha etc) so they sell slower in these tough times.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 7:05 am
Senior Member
 
messenger13_ver2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,566
Re: Why so hard to sell?

I dunno. Selling my GT was quick and painless back in 10/08. (and I did get top dollar!)

Perhaps riders are a little smarter now and we're buying Kawasaki's Concours14. (Which, btw, is a $15K motorcycle that the dealers can't seem to keep in stock. )

Yea ... I know it's a "rice burner", so called by ignorant members of our community. But dayem! I love this thing.

Surely, the unreliability of BMWs has NOTHING to do with it.
messenger13_ver2 is offline  
post #5 of 21 Old Sep 24th, 2010, 7:14 am
Senior Member
 
dwsdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshall, TX, USA
Posts: 1,751
Re: Why so hard to sell?

I think it's just a sign of the times. I'm having a hard time selling my '08 Wing, too.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dwsdad is offline  
post #6 of 21 Old Oct 8th, 2010, 8:53 pm
Senior Member
 
XTrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mountains of Northeastern, PA, USA
Posts: 354
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Selling my GT was quick and painless back in 10/08. (and I did get top dollar!)
It's not 10/08 anymore. Things have changed a lot in the last two years and not for the better. Thank your lucky stars you sold it when you did.

P.S.- I hope you're planning on keeping that Kawasaki a long time because you won't be seeing "top dollar" for it.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by XTrooper; Oct 8th, 2010 at 8:58 pm.
XTrooper is offline  
post #7 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 2:30 am
Senior Member
 
messenger13_ver2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,566
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
P.S.- I hope you're planning on keeping that Kawasaki a long time because you won't be seeing "top dollar" for it.
Now that more cops are riding the Connie, surely I'll be able to find some "extrooper" that wants a real motorcycle.
messenger13_ver2 is offline  
post #8 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 4:55 am
Senior Member
 
XTrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mountains of Northeastern, PA, USA
Posts: 354
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Now that more cops are riding the Connie, surely I'll be able to find some "extrooper" that wants a real motorcycle.
Honestly, if the RT didn't exist, the new Connie and the Moto Guzzi Norge are the only two sport-touring bikes I would seriously consider and in that order. If cruise control and heated seats were available on the Concours 14, it would be just about perfect.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XTrooper is offline  
post #9 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 9:11 am
Senior Member
 
messenger13_ver2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,566
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTrooper
Honestly, if the RT didn't exist, the new Connie and the Moto Guzzi Norge are the only two sport-touring bikes I would seriously consider and in that order. If cruise control and heated seats were available on the Concours 14, it would be just about perfect.
Cruise Control is just $240 away for new Connie owners. Works just like OEM. As for heated seats, most custom seat makers can heat any seat you want heated. After adding both of those farkles, your still a few thousand ahead of the price of an RT or GT. Of course, that's if price is the premise of the argument.

Having said that, I'm going to be keeping my eye on the new 1600GT. Looks very VERY interesting.
messenger13_ver2 is offline  
post #10 of 21 Old Oct 9th, 2010, 3:35 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: , , usa
Posts: 87
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Cruise Control is just $240 away for new Connie owners. Works just like OEM. As for heated seats, most custom seat makers can heat any seat you want heated. After adding both of those farkles, your still a few thousand ahead of the price of an RT or GT. Of course, that's if price is the premise of the argument.

Having said that, I'm going to be keeping my eye on the new 1600GT. Looks very VERY interesting.
Saw a brand new Connie (ABS I think) at dealer today for 10,999. That should really help resale prices.
remphoto is offline  
post #11 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 12:00 am
Senior Member
 
messenger13_ver2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cleveland, OH, USA
Posts: 1,566
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto
Saw a brand new Connie (ABS I think) at dealer today for 10,999. That should really help resale prices.
What dealer? I got a buddy looking for one.
messenger13_ver2 is offline  
post #12 of 21 Old Oct 10th, 2010, 7:52 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: , , usa
Posts: 87
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
What dealer? I got a buddy looking for one.
Schiets Motors
Fremont, Ohio

http://www.schietsmotorsports.com/index.htm
remphoto is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old Oct 12th, 2010, 5:42 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 1,033
Re: Why so hard to sell?

You are looking at a new model coming out (K1600GT) which replaces the old model. That is never good for pricing of used bikes that are the previous generation. Secondly the U.S. is in a bit of a unique situation in that you are coming through a recession caused by the bursting of one of the biggest debt/real estate bubbles in history. People are selling their expensive toys. Finally BMW's have never been main stream bikes because of their premium pricing and focus on the touring crowd. Niche vehicles tend to be a tough sell in bad economic times. Just look at how discounted one year old Lambo's, Ferrari's and Aston Martins are right now.

Even main stream manufacturers are having trouble moving product. Up here in Canada there are still 09 Goldwings on the floor.
ronk1200lt is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old Nov 14th, 2010, 10:57 am
Senior Member
 
eng943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: , ,
Posts: 214
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
You are looking at a new model coming out (K1600GT) which replaces the old model. That is never good for pricing of used bikes that are the previous generation. Secondly the U.S. is in a bit of a unique situation in that you are coming through a recession caused by the bursting of one of the biggest debt/real estate bubbles in history. People are selling their expensive toys. Finally BMW's have never been main stream bikes because of their premium pricing and focus on the touring crowd. Niche vehicles tend to be a tough sell in bad economic times. Just look at how discounted one year old Lambo's, Ferrari's and Aston Martins are right now.

Even main stream manufacturers are having trouble moving product. Up here in Canada there are still 09 Goldwings on the floor.
On the other hand, with new 1600GT's costing about 2-3k more than the 1300GT base mode to base model, used K1300GT's may not suffer much if at all from a value standpoint.
eng943 is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 5:46 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Posts: 1,033
Re: Why so hard to sell?

For all those looking to trade up their k12/k13 for a k16, I hope you are right.
ronk1200lt is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 6:01 pm
Senior Member
 
cccpastorjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Cornelius, North Carolina, USA
Posts: 1,986
Re: Why so hard to sell?

To answer the original poster, As a former K1200GT 2nd Gen owner, part of the problem lies in the fact that the bike was "updated" to a 1300 very quickly. As a result, I found that those interested in buying mine all said, "I wonder if I should just go for the 1300?" Even I thought "Dang, I shoulda waited another 6 months!"
Now, a 1600 has come out!

Even though the K1200GT 1200 is fast as lightening and a wonderful bike, it seems that its value dropped really quick along with the numbers of people interested in owning a 1200.

Moreover, not soon after purchasing mine, BMW dropped the price of a new one by a grand or two causing the bottom to drop out of the re-sale market. I was upside down overnight! With that being the case, there just aren't that many people looking for them. Just my 2cents...

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cccpastorjack is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 2:19 pm
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
To answer the original poster, As a former K1200GT 2nd Gen owner, part of the problem lies in the fact that the bike was "updated" to a 1300 very quickly. As a result, I found that those interested in buying mine all said, "I wonder if I should just go for the 1300?" Even I thought "Dang, I shoulda waited another 6 months!"
Now, a 1600 has come out!

Even though the K1200GT 1200 is fast as lightening and a wonderful bike, it seems that its value dropped really quick along with the numbers of people interested in owning a 1200.

Moreover, not soon after purchasing mine, BMW dropped the price of a new one by a grand or two causing the bottom to drop out of the re-sale market. I was upside down overnight! With that being the case, there just aren't that many people looking for them. Just my 2cents...
WORD, Jack! That's why i've learned my lesson and will never buy a new veh or bike, again.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 3:12 pm
Senior Member
 
usmctpdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Seattle WA, USA
Posts: 865
Re: Why so hard to sell?

* The Final Drive issues are very well known now -
**Why I bought a RED Moto Guzzi Norge - Very happy - no problems.

* Lots of bikes for sale in this economy. Only great prices get quick sales. I only had ONE call - 1 interested buyer for my 05 LT in the Cycletrader ad.
Lucky for me he bought it... I still had warranty left on it to cover any issues that might come up. - I am sure that helped sell it.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

usmctpdog is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 4:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Here's how tough the economy is right now. I just (September) bought a leftover 2008 Honda VTX 1800. List is $16,500.00. Out the door for $8,999.00. That's 45 percent off list. No hidden fees, no dealer prep, no title fees, no nothing. Now this is a brand new bike with a one year unlimited mileage warranty. Recreational spending is a tough market right now especially considering it's end of season, end of model year, and Christmas right around the corner. Motorcycles sell best in the spring and they buy best in the fall.
deanwoolsey is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 9:11 am
fas
Senior Member
 
fas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bay Village, OH, USA
Posts: 807
Cool Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcon2
Hi all,
I am currently looking to get a used second generation K1200GT but the process has left me a more than a little concerned. While perusing various classifieds, it has become apparent that these bikes languish for sometime before they find “new” homes. At first I was overjoyed at the prospect of picking up a slightly used BMW cheaply, but now I am concerned.

Why do used K-bikes seem so hard to resell?

Thanks,

Timing is crucial and selling methodology is important. I sold my LT in a few days using eBay Motors. Lots of photos and complete documentation of service helped. A couple years later, I sold my GT in a few days again on eBay. I got top dollar both times. My perfect eBay record helps. I also sold my 40 year old Porsche on eBay for a stupid high price well above anything I ever expected. I met the new owner at the airport and he drove the car back to Wisconsin with zero problems. The praise on my eBay record helps add to buyer confidence that what I am selling is good product. In all three cases my files were thorough covering every dime spent on the three machines. I always pay more to have a large number of photos showing every nook and cranny of the item being sold. I always point out even the slightest flaws to the potential buyers.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
fas is offline  
post #21 of 21 Old Dec 7th, 2010, 5:05 pm
THE Democracy Doctor
 
jayjacobson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Posts: 5,694
Re: Why so hard to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
Timing is crucial and selling methodology is important. I sold my LT in a few days using eBay Motors. Lots of photos and complete documentation of service helped. A couple years later, I sold my GT in a few days again on eBay. I got top dollar both times. My perfect eBay record helps. I also sold my 40 year old Porsche on eBay for a stupid high price well above anything I ever expected. I met the new owner at the airport and he drove the car back to Wisconsin with zero problems. The praise on my eBay record helps add to buyer confidence that what I am selling is good product. In all three cases my files were thorough covering every dime spent on the three machines. I always pay more to have a large number of photos showing every nook and cranny of the item being sold. I always point out even the slightest flaws to the potential buyers.
Rob, you're right on target. I've always used cycle trader and sold 2 bikes and 1 veh, each in only a few weeks.

I had lots of high-res pics ready to send any requestor. Also, I digitized all the records so I could email them when a requestor was skeptical. I was very honest about the condition of the veh.

Once, after combing through records of the prior owner, and discovering that my veh had been involved in a collision prior to my owning it, I immediately emailed the prospective buyer and told him about what I had found, and asked him IF and how he wanted to proceed. I still got the sale!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jayjacobson is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where is the best place to sell an LT? Agent86 K1200LT 22 Dec 8th, 2007 8:21 pm
A conversation after a hard day Lonewuff Humor 2 Dec 7th, 2007 5:39 pm
Probably a dumb question: How to sell a car? rmg08057 Chit Chat 6 Nov 11th, 2007 9:46 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome