New man on board! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Sep 1st, 2010, 7:49 pm Thread Starter

New man on board!

Hey all!
New on this forum. Have a 08 K1200GT with a few mods, enjoy the bike. Had a 2000 K1200 S "flying Brick" really liked that bike. Was my first BMW, always rode crotch rockets, mainly Kawasaki's. Melowing a little in my "old" age
Been riding since 1976, no mishaps or crashed bikes - so far, so knock on wood!
Not really very thrilled about this bike, had some nagging issues with the clutch cage and bearins - less than 4000 miles on it and on the third cage. Also the throttle responce really sucked - until I installed a power commander, now much better but still not great. Looking forward to the 1600, hope they will knock it out of the park with that one - like the S1000 RR. If the dam knee angle were not so steep I would have one of those, but just too darn uncomfortable for me.
Little about me, I am an automotive engineer, been self employed for 22 years - WOW time flies! - own a BMW high performance shop in the Atlanta, GA area, so LOVE BMW's. Could not have a Jap bike sitting in the lot, so went to BMW's in 2000.
Hope to meet some of you more "local" guys and gals some time,,,maybe go for a ride.

Good to be here...
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 9:21 am

Re: New man on board!

Welcome Ron. Glad to have you aboard! I have a 13GT and while it is supposed to have several mods to make it better than the 1200, I still haven't "fallen in love" with it yet. I have an 1150 RT that won my heart on the first ride and 100,000 miles later, we're inseparable. For all day comfort the RT is the "go to" ride. However, the GT's engine is intoxicating! It delivers a rush that the boxer engine could never dream of and the GT's brakes are wonderful and not fully linked like the 1150's are. That alone makes the GT much easier to maneuver at slow speed and for making the U-turns that I am prone to make. The GT also has cruise control which, for me, gives it brownie points too. I like the RT better for comfort, but the cruise does help a lot. And did I mention the GT's engine?????

While I won't be able to trade the 13 in for a 16, I'll sure envy those of you who do and like you, look forward to seeing what the Bavarian masterminds have in store for us. I'm just three hours up the road from you, maybe we'll pass somewhere in the north Georgia mountains. I'll be watchin' for you.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in