Another windshield post, KGT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 30th, 2010, 2:15 pm Thread Starter

Another windshield post, KGT

This weekend I picked up the V Stream tall windshield I had ordered and decided to spring for a new Scorpion Transformer helmet (Hi-vis of course to match the Olympia jacket) I bolted on the shield and took it for a series of test rides with my existing Zeus modular, the Scorpion as a full face and the scorpion as a 3/4.

Here is what I discovered, While the V Stream is taller and wider than the BMW 'tall' OEM shield it is not nor do I believe any aftermarket windshield to be the "Magic Bullet" solution to wind noise or buffeting. The RT that I traded seemed to have great protection with the Cee Bailey screen but I doubt that the GT will ever be as calm as the RT.

That being said it is an improvement and I was able to find comfortable positions and heights for different speeds and wind conditions. It appears that if you want quiet the secret is earplugs! (no secret to seasoned riders) My Zeus helmet is noisy and I thought the Scorpion would be an improvement. It is, to a point. I picked this helmet because it had a good snug fit, I like being able to open the chin bar when not moving to talk or get air, and I really like the drop down sun shield idea. The only problems I have now with the Scorpion are:
1. the top vent makes an audible noise as air moves through it. Close the vent and it gets quieter, and warmer.

2.The fit is so snug that when you pull it on your ear plugs (which I have not gotten used to properly inserting yet) or noise isolating headphones are dislodged from my ears. The fit is also snug enough that I cannot get a finger in there to push them back in.

The paradox now is that I can get the Zeus quieter w/ earplugs or earphones but I have a new Scorpion that I like everything else about.

All for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 30th, 2010, 2:25 pm
SRM

Re: Another windshield post, KGT

Glad to hear you're getting out there and enjoying the new ride, Chap!

FYI - there was a post here in the ipod/mp3 section that was GREAT help for me... I've been looking for headphones/earplugs that were comfortable and one of the guys here recommended the 'earfuze' plugs that come with a mix that creates "molded ear plugs" that incorporate the 'ear-bud' speakers... They worked great for me AND I can get my helmet on pretty easily without dislodging the speakers/earbuds.

Check them out - google 'earfuze'....

Best,
Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 30th, 2010, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Re: Another windshield post, KGT

Will do, thanks for the tip. I really like to have some music when I ride and the standard headsets that build into the helmets sound tinny compared to a good pair of isolated earphones which also block out a lot of the wind and road noise.

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 30th, 2010, 10:20 pm

Smile Re: Another windshield post, KGT

I'm using custom molded ear plugs with speakers that do a good job of taking out road noise. Check out EAR, Inc. for more info. They come to a lot of rallys and do master plugs that they in turn develop the finished product at their lab.

Denny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in