I just about lost my lunch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 29th, 2010, 6:43 am Thread Starter

Unhappy I just about lost my lunch

Was at the dealer last Thursday just goofing off and one of the service techs was talking about the GT with the broken ball joint on the front end. I asked what on earth you would have to hit to break the ball joint, and the answer was "a car." They were nice enough to let me back in the *morgue* and there sat a brand new, 2010 GT, that was the stable mate of my GT when it was on the showroom floor. The new owner bought it August 21, and hit a car on August 22. The right side was not scuffed, but the front of the fairing was busted lose. The left side was intact, except the fairing and bag was scratched pretty bad. The front wheel was bent, one of the brake lines was broken, and worst of all, the front fork stuck out in front like either Jesse James or one of the Teutles had been customizing it. It was a low riding, raked out chopper for sure. What really made me sick was the tech turned the ignition on and the odometer showed 246 miles. Not even had a full tank of gas through it yet.

Apparently the rider hit the rear of a car. Why, no one knows yet. The only good news is that both the rider and pillion were ok. It's sad to see a waste of a good bike (or car) in such a short order. The dealer didn't know if the insurance would total it or not, but I'd be very wary of having the steering head and/or frame tweaked after such a hard impact. A good reminder to be careful out there!

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 29th, 2010, 10:09 am

Re: I just about lost my lunch

Reminds me of the story a few years back where a guy bought a brand new GS, pulled out of the dealer, rode it a few hundred yards, then a car pulled out in front of him. He wasn't hurt and it was the cager's fault. But still ... man that would suck!
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 9:09 am Thread Starter

As Paul Harvey used to say, "now, for the rest of the story." While picking up a couple of new windshields for the GT and RT, I talked to the salesman about the wrecked GT. Turns out the hapless rider had purchased the bike six days earlier, but hadn't ridden it much. Along with the bike, the man and his wife bought quite a bit of riding gear as well as new helmets. They were just going out for ice cream so donned the helmets, but no riding gear. On their way to the ice cream store, a 15 year old pulled out in front of them and impact was almost immediate. Crazy as it sounds, both the rider and the pillion were unhurt. The salesman reports that the rider came in to the shop and had only two abrasions about the size of a dime on his arm. He didn't see the wife, but reports are that she is fine as well. Looks like the insurance company will total the bike as the damage is far more severe than just a broken ball joint and front support arm. Shame, only 246 miles on a great bike.

Greg

"Loud lives save pipes"

00 K1200LT (Emil) 94,840 trouble free miles. Gone, but not forgotten
02 R1150RT (Artie) 109,000 miles. Favorite bike. With me to the end.
10 K1300GT (The Phantom) 10,110 miles. Like flying a T-38 on 2 wheels. Gone.
12 K1600GTL (Johnny 5) 3,500. A great compromise between the LT and GT

A gaggle of Japanese bikes, then I woke up.

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 9:32 am

Not as bad as this self inflicted crash.

At least a Basic riding lesson should be required before a new rider is allowed to buy a bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSrEIuOwX4

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 6 Old Sep 4th, 2010, 9:14 am

When the insurance company totaled the bike, I wonder if the owner got full replacement value, i.e., what he paid for the bike, or if it was depreciated?

I had contacted my insurance company a while back and was told that if my 02 was totaled, I'd probably get about 40% of what I paid for it when initially insured. That means that today, the insurance replacement value of my 02 is about $5-6,000.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 21st, 2010, 2:34 pm
fas

Cool Re: I just about lost my lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
When the insurance company totaled the bike, I wonder if the owner got full replacement value, i.e., what he paid for the bike, or if it was depreciated?

I had contacted my insurance company a while back and was told that if my 02 was totaled, I'd probably get about 40% of what I paid for it when initially insured. That means that today, the insurance replacement value of my 02 is about $5-6,000.
My fav example of this is the death of my M3. It was an early E36 that BMW used for press demos. An editor lost it and damaged the left rear fender slightly. I bought it from BMW NJ (via Tom Milner's race shop) for $23,000. Drove it 137,000 miles. A pal totaled it while taking a ride. Insurance paid me 19,000. My pal paid the deductible. Loved the car and still miss it.

Rob Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in