Clutches & Rear Drive Failures - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 11:00 am Thread Starter
SRM

Clutches & Rear Drive Failures

I've read about clutch & rear drive failures on K12/1300 GT's and noticed long-time BMW riders on different mounts. I'm also thrilled with my GT - it is an impressive machine and 'feels like' the bike I've been looking for - for a long time. Nimble, spacious and who can't enjoy the extra ponies!

I'm preparing for a long ride and hearing about clutch & drive failures aren't reassuring; however, it's great to see Ken racking up the miles on his GT - gotta love it & appreciate the experience behind those posts!

So, any suggestions on the trip prep - from a maintenance perspective - I've got just over 5K on the GT and would be interested in the following topics:

- Tire wear on the GT - I believe Avon's are getting the thumbs up around here
- Oil change - synthetic predemoninant?
- Clutch/Rear drive - any tell tale signs - noise, peculiar behaviour (I'm sure I'll get some funny responses here)
- BMW roadside service - worth it?

Thanks & if you want to contact me directly in email - understood...
Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 20th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Re: Clutches & Rear Drive Failures

I ride mostly two up and heavy and flat spot those Avons real fast.
I use semi Syn Golden Spectro every 3k miles
I also change the rear gear each 3k too
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 21st, 2010, 12:03 am
IBR# 366

Garage

- Tire wear on the GT - I believe Avon's are getting the thumbs up around here
I like the Avons because they stick wet or dry and handle well right down to the wear bars. I've had other tires last longer, but didn't like they way they wore so the last few thousand miles sucked. I just got some Storm2 Ultras to try out for a little 10K-in-10-days ride I'm starting next week . . .

- Oil change - synthetic predominant?
Any name-brand synthetic is fine (although many modern oils marked as "synthetic" really come from good ol' dino stock). Change it regularly. BMW's 6K recommendation is good, but I've let it go twice that if I'm on a long ride. BMW also now recommends a 5w40 oil that is supposed to help with the juddering clutches . . .

- Clutch/Rear drive - any tell tale signs - noise, peculiar behaviour
Clutches tend to squeak and judder on takeoff. Many bikes do this for quite some time with no problems, but I believe it's a sign of the inner hub and outer basket staring to wear into little grooves. On the final drive, also change regularly with a name-brand hypoid gear oil. Most folks just do it at every oil change, as it's cheap and easy to do. At that time (and at tire changes), check for any metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug (not a silvery paste - that's normal, but actual metal), check for side-to-side play at the wheel, and of course, look for the tell-tale signs of oil seeping past the seals . . .

- BMW roadside service - worth it?
BMW contracts out for that, so their version may or may not be worth it. But there are lots of other options to chose from (AAA RV+, AMA, your insurance company, etc.). Just make sure you know how far they'll tow you (a set # of miles, or to the nearest capable service center). It can be an awfully long way between BMW dealers in some states . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 10:37 am Thread Starter
SRM

Thanks for your responses!

Good luck on your 10K/10day excursion - I'm jealous! Just got my BMW workshop/repair CD and will 'taking off the skins' for the first time this coming weekend -- by Saturday I'll have almost 6K miles, so I'll be changing the motor oil and in the FD.

Still haven't settled on my lighting decisions and will be able to make a better decision on the weekend once I get the 'skins' off and assess my options --- also looking to replace that "GOOFY" horn!

Thanks again!
Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in