Thanks for the new switch gear... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the new switch gear...

or: How to keep your dealer's in business.

Bought the '10 1300 GT June 12. To date, it has experienced two failures of the cruise control switch. Presently, it is in the shop until the 19th for it's second cc switch in less than two months. Pretty good huh?

I know that it is not nearly as bad as having cam failure, rear drive failure, or many of the other plagues we read about here, and certainly not even on the radar screen of some of you after the experiences you've had with your bikes, but it is still frustrating just the same mostly because the BMW switch gear used to be so very reliable. To date, on my other two BMWs, I've got 183,000 miles on the RT/LT and the only switch issue I've had was the clutch switch on the LT needing adjusting so my cruise would stay engaged.

I guess that in their haste to quash the criticism of the "moto-journalists" in the magazines BMW decided to not only change their reliable switch gear but to let the lowest bidder also be in charge of quality control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: Thanks for the new switch gear...

If it aint broke, have that genius engineering graduate kid reengineer it.

When we have shipped 1000 units ask him if he did a functional check in rain/sleet/snow/bug entrails... to ensure it will work and keep working.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 5:17 pm
SRM

I guess I was a minority, but I didn't mind the separated left/right signal controls - probably because when I was riding Japanese bikes -- I didn't use them!!

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 11th, 2010, 5:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushin9s
or: How to keep your dealer's in business.

Bought the '10 1300 GT June 12. To date, it has experienced two failures of the cruise control switch. Presently, it is in the shop until the 19th for it's second cc switch in less than two months. Pretty good huh?

I know that it is not nearly as bad as having cam failure, rear drive failure, or many of the other plagues we read about here, and certainly not even on the radar screen of some of you after the experiences you've had with your bikes, but it is still frustrating just the same mostly because the BMW switch gear used to be so very reliable. To date, on my other two BMWs, I've got 183,000 miles on the RT/LT and the only switch issue I've had was the clutch switch on the LT needing adjusting so my cruise would stay engaged.

I guess that in their haste to quash the criticism of the "moto-journalists" in the magazines BMW decided to not only change their reliable switch gear but to let the lowest bidder also be in charge of quality control.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the new BMW. I would have thought the teething issues of the '09 K1300GT would have been resolved by 2010 (and hopefully they are other than the switchgear issue). I went from a '99 R1100RT to the '09 KGT and was amazed, too, at how trouble free the old RT was compared to the new bike. In 50,000 miles only had a rear brake line leak and that was an easy fix. In the first 3,000 miles the K1300GT seemed to be in the shop more than not and hitting myself in the head with a 2X4 would have been less painful than dealing with BMWNA. Hopefully they fixed the valve train issues inherent in the K1200GT but traded crappy switchgear and stalling problems in return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in