Brought the new baby home! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Brought the new baby home!

Well I picked up the new (to me) 2007 KGT this afternoon and rode it home. The ride was good through heavy rush hour traffic. I'm going to need that new ZTech windshield I ordered and perhaps a new, quieter lid. It had fists full of power and enough grunt to accelerate from any gear, as low as 2000RPM!

I pulled it into the drive and took off all the bags to give it a good detail and while cleaning the wheels found a bent front rim . I will report that back to the dealer tomorrow but do not have great hope that they will offer to replace it. Once detailed I went out for a short ride then parked it in the drive to make room to pull it into the garage. When I started it back up it sounded like a chain banging around in a tin can I shut it off and went in the house.

Looks like an unhappy call to the dealer tomorrow. Any ideas what the chain-in-a-can is all about? I am completely new to BMW bikes.

Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 1:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Brought the new baby home!

Let me guess, when you were putting it in the garage you had your helmet off?

The noise is from the cam chain tensioner, which is an engine-oil-fed hydraulic plunger that takes a while to build pressure when the bike is first started. According to BMW: "They all do that, it's perfectly normal."

You're on your own with the bent rim though. Good luck there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:09 am

there are folks who can repair the rim ... usually.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 8:36 am

I've fixed many tweaked rims with a 5 lb. hammer...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

I don't know how bad the rim is from a safety standpoint, it doesn't look bad but I noticed it because they showed me a bent rim they were getting ready to replace on an '05 RT before they could sell it. Hmmm, wonder if I now have an '05 rim on my '07 GT?

As for the chain-in-a-can, I fired it up this morning and the clatter started again but soon subsided. It seemed like it went for longer last night before I shut it down. Another question for the dealer.

Curtis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in