Auxiliary lighting? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
SRM

Auxiliary lighting?

While looking at the spy shots of the GTL and their auxiliary lighting, reminded me of that I've meant to post a thread about additional lighting for my GT!

I'd like to get a pair of lights that either 'tuck' up under the front cowling, or attach to the front forks - lights near the front axle look cool, but I'm not sure about longevity - seems like a good place to break off...

Any ideas folks?

Thanks!
Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Re: Auxiliary lighting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM
While looking at the spy shots of the GTL and their auxiliary lighting, reminded me of that I've meant to post a thread about additional lighting for my GT!

I'd like to get a pair of lights that either 'tuck' up under the front cowling, or attach to the front forks - lights near the front axle look cool, but I'm not sure about longevity - seems like a good place to break off...

Any ideas folks?

Thanks!
Stephen
Motolights are good for mounting on the fork tubes, near the axle location. I found this list of lighting mods in the Technical pulldown, Accessories section. Good luck.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 1:16 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Do you want to "look cool" or do you want to actually see what's ahead of you?

Motolights are good quality, but expensive and don't put out very much useable light at all. If all you want is the lighting triangle, you're better off with a set of the newer LED driving lights (again, good for others to see you, not so good for you to see ahead). Or cheap fog lights from WallyWorld for that matter.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2010, 3:51 pm Thread Starter
SRM

Thanks Dick! Seems like a lot of 'LT' options out there; but then, that's what got me here in the first place!

Ken, glad you joined in, and NO, looking cool is NOT my intent.... Like you, I'm doing quite a bit of nighttime driving in the mountains & meadows - have deer whistles, but lighting is preferred. I'm curious how you attached your 'light bar' - I do weld and could construct a similar option.... Also need to take some time and pull the 'covers' off the GT and get clarity on all the options...

Time to do some homework - I'll be back!

-S

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF

post #5 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:24 am

On the LT I have PIAA lights. They are great and give more light than the stock headlight. On the RT I have Motolights and they are good, but not as powerful as the PIAAs. The Motolights have a lifetime warranty on bulbs and everything else too. I'm having problems with one of my Motolight lenses being stuck. A visit to my dealer and a phone call from him to Motolight and I got two new bulbs (Halogen), two new lenses and rings plus a couple of stickers and ink pens. Their customer service is astounding. But then again, so is PIAAs. The Motolights on the RT were originally mounted on the fork tubes but I bought a mounting kit and moved them to the brake calipers. They didn't stick out quite so far but were a PIA every time I changed brakes or tires. So I moved them back to the fork tubes.

Both companies are very good and make a high quality product and stand behind them. PIAA is my choice only because the light is brighter and they give me that little extra edge. From the triangle of light and "being seen" standpoint, the Motolights are equally good though. Like you, I would like to get some aux lighting for my GT. I found last week while riding the Foothills Parkway at night that the Xenon light ain't worth a crap for seeing around the curves.
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2010, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM
Thanks Dick! Seems like a lot of 'LT' options out there; but then, that's what got me here in the first place!

Ken, glad you joined in, and NO, looking cool is NOT my intent.... Like you, I'm doing quite a bit of nighttime driving in the mountains & meadows - have deer whistles, but lighting is preferred. I'm curious how you attached your 'light bar' - I do weld and could construct a similar option.... Also need to take some time and pull the 'covers' off the GT and get clarity on all the options...

Time to do some homework - I'll be back!

-S
If you don't already have them on your bike, I would suggest HID replacements for your headlights first.

HUGE difference in usable light and distance down the road. Also the slight blue tint really makes me stick out in traffic.

When I sold my old bike I got to see someone else riding it for the first time. I never saw how much more noticeable my bike was due to the motolights... DAMN they are bright.. Like two little suns on the forks. I was debating whether I was going to put them on the new bike until I saw my old bike coming down the road towards me. My 2009 RT has motoLights on it too.. Expensive but I think worth every penny. You knock a motolight off, you are doing a LOT more damage to your bike than just knocking off a light.

Anyways, my AV is my RT at night.. two low beam HID (6500k) and the two motolights down low. The motolights have two USHIO 6500k Halogen bulbs (the original bulbs would look REALLY yellow)

A little bigger picture:

I THINK these are the original MotoLight bulbs

2009 R1200RT Silver
2002 R1150RS Silver (SOLD!)
2003 JD 2305 Green and Yellow.

Last edited by iambob; Jul 28th, 2010 at 10:57 am.
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 4:16 pm Thread Starter
SRM

Thanks for that detail Bob! BTW - where did your motolights with the axle adapters?

I had a somewhat similar setup on my old LT and received multiple comments on how 'visible' the bike was....

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF

post #8 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM
Thanks for that detail Bob! BTW - where did your motolights with the axle adapters?

I had a somewhat similar setup on my old LT and received multiple comments on how 'visible' the bike was....
Motolights use the top brake caliper bolt. They came with the extra long bolt to use

2009 R1200RT Silver
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 6th, 2010, 6:16 pm

Go with a nice looking but CHEAP pair of autozone, walmart etc fog or driving lamps.
Then Google DDM and buy a pair of HID ballast/lamps for @ $40

BEST bang for AWESOME lighting your going to find !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #10 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2010, 12:23 am

I recently saw a demo of PIAA's HID driving lights mounted on K1200GT fork legs using a simple bracket that shares the fender bolts. It was a simple install, looked clean and put out a light pattern that was very impressive. The PIAA lights integrate all of the power conversion and electronics inside the light housing which still remains rather small and unobtrusive. The power requirement for these lights is very low. The only down side is the price (>$500 plus ~$100 for brackets) but there's not a better light system anywhere that I've seen. Carried by Bob's BMW.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2010, 5:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgarrett
I recently saw a demo of PIAA's HID driving lights mounted on K1200GT fork legs using a simple bracket that shares the fender bolts. It was a simple install, looked clean and put out a light pattern that was very impressive. The PIAA lights integrate all of the power conversion and electronics inside the light housing which still remains rather small and unobtrusive. The power requirement for these lights is very low. The only down side is the price (>$500 plus ~$100 for brackets) but there's not a better light system anywhere that I've seen. Carried by Bob's BMW.
Thanks for the info, Dick. Do you have a web link to the lights and especially the bracket?
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 30th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickgarrett
If I understand.. If a bulb burns out with that set up, you have to replace the entire assembly, not just the bulb.

2009 R1200RT Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in