Introduction - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 12:56 pm Thread Starter

Introduction

Hi,

New to the forum & fairly new to BMW Bikes. I had a few Hondas ending with a 2006 ST1300 which I sold in early '09 because it was spending too much time in the garage. This spring I got the itch again and stopped by Engle Motors in Kansas City and found a reasonably priced '03 R1150RT. Loved the protection and the ergonomics and the lightness under way. What I didn't like was the seat hight and the 'surging' or 'hunting' at 2500 to 3500 rpm. I read countless threads on how to fix it and took it to the dealer to get their opinion. Their response was "it's the nature of the beast".

While there I did stumble upon an '07 K1200GT and asked to ride it. Needless to say, they are doing the paperwork now! The only Issue I have with it stock is the lack of coverage compared to the RT with a large Cee Bailey shield. A new shield will be the first purchase. I have read many of the threads here and it seems the the Z Technic and the Aeroflow are the favorites but I will probably still not reach the comfortable bubble I had w/ the RT. Opinions are always welcome!

I have already gleaned some good information from the site on recalls and issues with some of the center stands. After the windshield I will probably be looking for information on favorite music/com systems and whether to go Bluetooth or buy all the accessories to use the Autocom base unit left on the bike.

Happy motoring and I hope to meet some of you in the KC area.

Curtis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 1:20 pm
SRM

Re: Introduction

Hey Curtis,

We're in the same boat.... I'm a new owner of a '07 GT, and the first thing I replaced was the windscreen -- I bought a Ztechnic Large windscreen and the protection is FAR better than the stock windshield. I also purchased a footpeg lowering kit that mad a big difference in comfort as well - I'm 6'1"+ and the leg position needed improvement for long rides.

I'm still 'getting used' to my bike - really enjoy the ESA going from the highway into the twisties - can definitely feel the suspension 'tighten up' going when I select the 'sport' option.....

I'm presently 'sorting out' Blue Tooth technology and working with 'Fuze' molded earplugs with their ear buds - just got my molds finished last night and will be changing the helmet headphones to a plug in for the ear buds -- there is a post here that "Loren" wrote a while back - that I found in one of the site folders here -- I'll try and dig it up.....

Welcome to the forum!

-Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Stephen,

I have only been on the bike for the test ride but I know it is shorter in the legs than the RT. At 5'10" I will give it some time to get used to it before I mess with anything besides the shield.

I had just found a pair of Senheiser ear buds with great sound that also act as earplugs and they make a model w/ a microphone as well. If i can pair those with say a Chatterbox XBI2 that should take care of everything. I just keep hearing that everyone's helmet headsets sound awful or don't have enough volume. If I get it figured out I will post.

Curtis

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2010, 5:37 pm
SRM

Yep - helmets can be noisy and having a bigger windscreen is great improvement - I've also 'given up' on 'in helmet' speakers as they much too noisy and you need to stay at low speed to really hear properly -- not much fun on these new 150+ horse screamers!

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2010, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
Thanks Stephen,

I have only been on the bike for the test ride but I know it is shorter in the legs than the RT. At 5'10" I will give it some time to get used to it before I mess with anything besides the shield.

I had just found a pair of Senheiser ear buds with great sound that also act as earplugs and they make a model w/ a microphone as well. If i can pair those with say a Chatterbox XBI2 that should take care of everything. I just keep hearing that everyone's helmet headsets sound awful or don't have enough volume. If I get it figured out I will post.

Curtis
I went from an RT to the GT and found the riding position quite a bit different even though on paper it does not look like it should be. At 5'10", depending on your inseam, you might be able to get by with the stock pegs. That is preferable as the lowered pegs cut lean angle. The riding position is leaned over a bit more than the RT and if this proves to be an issue, bar risers can make a big difference.The ZTech screen is a good choice but you will not have as much wind protection as the RT, nor will a passenger.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 26th, 2010, 1:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks,

I probably won't do much 2up riding, my wife has no interest, plus she just discovered over the weekend that this bike set the land speed record and was less than pleased! I do look forward to getting used to the riding position, it shouldn't be too much different from the ST1300 I was riding. The bars are at their highest setting now and I would be concerned about the cables if I added risers.

Curtis
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 5th, 2010, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
Thanks,

I probably won't do much 2up riding, my wife has no interest, plus she just discovered over the weekend that this bike set the land speed record and was less than pleased! I do look forward to getting used to the riding position, it shouldn't be too much different from the ST1300 I was riding. The bars are at their highest setting now and I would be concerned about the cables if I added risers.

Curtis
Actually, tell your wife to put her mind at ease. The speed record was set by the K1200S, not the GT. The GT is much, much slower and I think it may be speed limited to 155 or so. Not anywhere near the 173 that the S can attain.

Did put bar backs on my GT, but it's the 1300 so came with the longer cables. Not sure how much work it is to change the cables and hoses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in