Acceleration Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 1:10 pm Thread Starter

Acceleration Issue

I was just out riding and noticed a strange performance issue. In first gear when hard accelerating from a stop or slow speed, the bike has a sudden and extremely brief drop in power around 40-45 mph. This is accompanied by a sort of clunk sound. It seems like the transmission might be slipping. If I accelerated at a more gentle pace, or gun it from speed greater than about 25 or 30, the issue doesn't happen. I am not noticing a problem in any other gears, although I admit I didn't wind out any higher gears to thoroughly investigate. Anyone else have a similar problem and the resolution?

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 29th, 2010, 8:57 am Thread Starter

Re: Acceleration Issue

update:

In spite being assured by 2 BMW experts that my baby with 4500 miles on it probably just needed an adjustment. That it was probably just backfiring. The repair tech informed me that she was popping in and out of gear. He had no clue why until he had a chance to dissect the transmission. My girl is in the shop and I miss her terribly.

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Tech pulled my transmission apart. Found broken teeth and damage on 1st gear. A quick search of the internet showed that this problem has occured quite a bit in 05 and 06 K1200 S bikes. Some are saying it is a design problem that was fixed in 07. Anyone have transmission problems in an 05-06 GT?

Anyway, I got the extended warrantee on the bike when I bought it used last year as the mfg warrantee had expired based on age 2 months before I bought the bike. The bike had 1100 miles on it. Insurance company agreed to cover the cost of replacement of the transmission which service said is about $5,000. Service also told me they going to use a newer styled transmission. They aren't going to cover to the cost of the clutch plates which is going to run me around $700. At least I got my monies worth out of the extended warrantee.

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 4th, 2010, 4:10 pm

prob. a manuf. defect.. and.. I'm surprised you didn't see any gunk in the oil...

If dealer did maintenance, should have noted.

Bottom line, it's getting fixed!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 16th, 2010, 10:33 am Thread Starter

Got my baby back on Saturday and it turned out I didn't need the clutch plates after all, so the cost was much cheaper than quoted. I'm back riding again and it shifts smoother and easier than it did before. Very happy camper.

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in