Shift/Brake extensions for K1200 GT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
SRM

Shift/Brake extensions for K1200 GT?

I've learned of peg lowering kits for the K1200 - I'm 6'1"+ and wondering if there are short/long peg extensions AND if it necessary to get coordinating extensions of the shift/brake levers as well????

I put peg extenders on my old LT and was amazed at the difference -- am wondering if there is that much of a difference on the GT?

- Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 7:59 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Shift/Brake extensions for K1200 GT?

Suburban Machinery makes a set of peg extenders for the GT, as does Verholen. I put the Verholen 40mm (1.5") peg extenders on the day I got the GT. The SM extenders are fixed, but the Verholen extenders are two-piece with a serrated interface which allows a bit of fore-and-aft adjustment if needed. But I found that once they're set you don't really need to move them.

With those and the seat in the high position I actually had slightly more leg room than the LT. But it's much easier to drag the lowered pegs in the corners, so if you're an aggressive rider then you might want to consider that.

Verholen also makes a 60mm (2.36") adjustable passenger setup, sold through Pirates' Lair. They would be a bit too much for the driver though, as they would scrape even more than the LT does.

You can get shifter and brake extenders, but I haven't really found them necessary. Even when I add or remove the peg extenders, I find that I adapt pretty quickly.

Other folks say that the peg extenders put your feet just a little too wide, so that pedal extenders might help them. It's really an individual call.

I have also toyed with making my own peg extenders that bolt onto the GT's frame, thus being able to keep them tucked in closer to the existing peg width. But I don't have a workable prototype yet, and that damn brake lever is in the way . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 3:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM
I've learned of peg lowering kits for the K1200 - I'm 6'1"+ and wondering if there are short/long peg extensions AND if it necessary to get coordinating extensions of the shift/brake levers as well????

I put peg extenders on my old LT and was amazed at the difference -- am wondering if there is that much of a difference on the GT?

- Stephen
I have the Verholen peg extenders, and would find it hard to live without them on very long rides. For local riding, I prefer them off.

With the Verholen peg extenders, your feet are placed wider, so you must turn in the fronts of your boots to operate the shift and brake levers. It becomes natural after a short time, but it is different than the standard shifting and braking positions.

I also own the corresponding Verholen shift extender. It is a cylindrical tube that pushes on over the shifter, with a set screw to hold it in place. I don't like it, and haven't used it since I bought it. The reason I don't like it is that it is thicker than the shift pedal peg - after all, it has to fit over the shift pedal peg. Because it is thicker than the original shift pedal peg, you must twist your ankle further up and down to get your boot over and under the extended peg. I may give it another try someday.

In addition, the original owner complained that the knurled pattern etched into the outside of the shift peg extender was abrasive on his boot, so he used a grinder to smooth the sharp points of the knurling pattern on the peg extender.

I do not own the brake extender.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 3:07 pm Thread Starter
SRM

Thanks guys!

The verholen's are a bit pricy; however, I do like the ability to adjust - and it's a BIG plus to learn that you got more length on the GT than on the LT!

BTW, just replaced the stock windscreen last night - wow! - what a difference!

Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 1:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRM
The verholen's are a bit pricy; however, I do like the ability to adjust
The adjustment really only happens once, when you first put them on. After that, they pretty much just stay in place.

What windshield did you get?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 3:58 pm

Regarding your original question about shift and brake extensions, you can easily adjust the height of the gear shift lever to match the lowered pegs. Like XMagnarider I bought the shift lever extension also and I no longer use it either. It tore heck out of my boot and found I could easily enough hook the regular shift lever with the side of my boot once I got used to it. I did buy the brake pedal widener which slips over the original pedal. I like it. You cannot readily adjust height of the brake lever but found it was easy enough to adapt to.

BTW, I got the tall V-Stream windshield and really like it.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 10:40 am Thread Starter
SRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The adjustment really only happens once, when you first put them on. After that, they pretty much just stay in place.

What windshield did you get?

Sorry for the slow reply - time flies when you're in the garage working on the new toy! I got the large Ztechnik VStream - what a difference of that stock unit!

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in