Need INput on New Bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 5th, 2010, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Need INput on New Bike

I'm a Harley Rider here ..2010 Ultra Classic , I have been wanting to get on A BMW for some time now .... I went to my Local Dealer before I bought the Ultra - Not Much help at all , I'm not the type to plunk down 20 K+ on Bike I've never ridden ..( Stupid dealer too , I ended up dropping 26k on the Ultra ) I ride around 10k per year

Any Suggestions on a GOOD dealer in the NY area ( Long Island) that will let me Demo a Bike for at least a Half day without any promises to buy when I get back?
I met a Dealer in MD, that will , but it's a bit of a Haul for a test ride.

My wife is having problems with her Hips ( arthritis) & I'm wondering if the BMW riding stance might help her be more Comfy ..

ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Just got back from Upstate NY in 99* weather , Felt like I was Riding a Hot Plate,,,,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 8:45 am

Re: Need INput on New Bike

Sorry cannot help on the dealer but I can tell you that the LT riding room will help your wife with her hips. This is the reason my wife chose the K1200LT, it has a lot of room available for her (distance between her and me) which helps her not have her legs spread wide as the Ultra classic does. The riding position on the Ultra really was uncomfortable for my wife, She really likes the room on the LT. Kieth

ps the LT has more room for the passenger than the Gold Wing also.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 6th, 2010, 9:45 pm

Smile Re: Need INput on New Bike

Hi Mike,
In 2004 I traded a 2000 H-D cop bike for a used (351 miles) 2002 LTC because I wanted something different w/better wind protection. My wife used to complain about hip pain on the H-D, but I just thought she was just "finding something" to bitch about. Turns out it was the shape of the seat. She didn't have any thigh support. The seat on the LT is shaped in a way that gives proper support. I talked to Rick Meyer at a bike show before I bought the LT and he told me that after about a year he'll need to redo my seat, but suggested that he only cover the rear seat to match the front. He said that as far as the rear seat is concerned, "BMW got it right". My wife loved the LT. If you're short legged, (I'm 5'6" w/29" inseam), get a low seat. The seating position is different than on the H-D but once you get used to it it's fine. I hope this helps.

Jeff Johnson
2009 Forest green Invacare powerchair
2007 Blue/dark lowers R1200RT(smacked,fixed,sold)
2005 Dark Gray LT (traded)
2002 Silver LTC (deceased 07-05-2005 by SUV)
2000 H-D FLHTP-I Cop Bike (traded for'02 LTC)
1982 H-D XLH (sold in 2002 for cop bike)
1980 H-D Low Rider (stolen by low-lifes)
1977 Triumph Tiger (sold)
1973 Honda CB450 (sold)

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 12:34 am
Super Moderator

Max BMW up in Albany is a good dealership. They are the supporting dealer for CCR this year and I spent some time with them in April, and they seem like a really great group of people. Give them a call and see if they'll let you out for a spin.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 7th, 2010, 6:29 am

[QUOTE=MPSLINY]I'm a Harley Rider here ..2010 Ultra Classic , I have been wanting to get on A BMW for some time now .... I went to my Local Dealer before I bought the Ultra - Not Much help at all , I'm not the type to plunk down 20 K+ on Bike I've never ridden ..( Stupid dealer too , I ended up dropping 26k on the Ultra ) I ride around 10k per year
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Too bad for your local BMW dealer as I had a similar situation before I bought my 02. Just the opposite though. I wanted to demo the HD Ultra and couldn't find a local dealer who would let me take one out for a demo. On a whim (after hearing a radio commercial about BMW's and contacting local dealers for a test ride and a free knife that I never received) I went by the local Tampa dealer who was more than willing for me to take one out for a ride.

The bike spoke to me and a week later it was in my garage.... Best bike I've ever owned and I just can't get enough of it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 8th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSLINY
I'm a Harley Rider here ..2010 Ultra Classic , I have been wanting to get on A BMW for some time now .... I went to my Local Dealer before I bought the Ultra - Not Much help at all , I'm not the type to plunk down 20 K+ on Bike I've never ridden ..( Stupid dealer too , I ended up dropping 26k on the Ultra ) I ride around 10k per year

Any Suggestions on a GOOD dealer in the NY area ( Long Island) that will let me Demo a Bike for at least a Half day without any promises to buy when I get back?
I met a Dealer in MD, that will , but it's a bit of a Haul for a test ride.

My wife is having problems with her Hips ( arthritis) & I'm wondering if the BMW riding stance might help her be more Comfy ..

ANy suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

Just got back from Upstate NY in 99* weather , Felt like I was Riding a Hot Plate,,,,

Mike

My wife has the same issues with her hips and arthritis. We rented an Ultra and she hated the riding position because it spread her hips too wide. She also did not like the location of the pegs (the crash bars rubbed the back of her ankles). She also thought it was tighter front to back compared to our K1300GT. Now that we have the small (28L) top case without backrest pad and peg lowers she is reasonably comfortable on the GT. She did not like the upright angle of the big 49L top case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in