Best GPS? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 10:56 am Thread Starter
SRM

Best GPS?

I know this is a common discussion; however, I'd like to hear from you on your GPS setups -- I previously had the BMW Nav ll on my LT, and was NOT a fan of that GPS unit.

I'm looking for a new GPS that easily allows you to plug in an address/location and get you there; additionally, I'm leaning towards getting the 'Interphone F4' - I hear good things about that unit and connection to GPS, helmet to helmet, and cell would be great!

FYI - really enjoying the new GT!!!

-Stephen

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 11:13 am

Re: Best GPS?

Don't know about GPS but what kind of OIL do you use ?

I've never even heard of the Intephone GPS so you probably have more info than most of us already...

I've had my Garmin 2730 since they came out... It does the job...But recently I've seen nice GPS's on the bargain table at Best Buy for 49.00 that look like they would be just as good..

I'm sure there are a lot of opinions about GPS's hence the oil reference...

Good Luck with your search..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 11:45 am
Super Moderator

Hmm, I think that's what all GPSs are supposed to do, right?

I use a Zumo 550. My opinion, just about anything from Garmin is good. And they make motorcycle specific units with a variety of features.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 1:01 pm

If you ride in the rain your choices are reduced. I currently use a Zumo 550, love it. I previously used a 2720, only complaint was the screen, couldn't see it well in bright sunlight.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 2:35 pm

Zumo 665, the upgrade to the 550. I've got one on the way!
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I have had a Garmin Zumo 660 for a year, and I like it a lot. The Zumo 665 is the same, except that it also supports XM radio, traffic, and weather and costs more.

Garmin's phone and email support teams are exemplary. You do have to wait on hold for a while to get through, but once you do, they are very capable.

A few weeks ago, Garmin released a firmware update for the Zumo 660 (and other models). The update wasn't just bug fixes, they added significant feature improvements, including two new map display formats so you can see more data fields while riding. How often do manufacturers do that? Did BMW add new features to your bike when your dealer upgraded the firmware?
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Maybe biased cause I own one ... but the older Garmin 276C and it's more current units offer the best of all attributes IMO.
Screen viewable in direct sunlight
Fully water proof
Internal battery so you can carry it if needed
Voice prompts if desired
Full marine usage too ... which is it's original application.

JMO ....

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #8 of 14 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 9:31 pm

DROID. GPS, phone, apparently etc. It out performed any GPS I have ever owned.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #9 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
How does it work as a GPS when you are out of cell phone range? Does it carry its own maps internally?
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
How does it work as a GPS when you are out of cell phone range? Does it carry its own maps internally?
Never been out of range anywhere with Verizon. That is just with my travels though, does not mean that there are places that do not exist where there is no signal. The phone also has a 16 gb memory, so maps can be downloaded onto it, I would presume.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #11 of 14 Old Jun 27th, 2010, 4:08 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldan2
How does it work in the rain?

I have a Droid and the navigation is great; I use it in the car all the time. I still the 550 for the bike, though. It's designed to handle that environment.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #12 of 14 Old Jun 27th, 2010, 5:13 pm

My Garmin zumo 550 is on its third motorcycle now and is still going strong. I LOVE IT!

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #13 of 14 Old Jun 28th, 2010, 5:25 am

The Garmin Zumo 660 is probably the best rpoduct out there (the 665 is the same product with satellite radio).Make sure you buy a traffic receiver with it. It's worth the 50 or so bucks, especially if you live/drive in a an area with heavy trafic.

The Interphone F4 is a great product. To be honest, wasn't aware it was sold in the US! The Cardo G4 is a viable alternative.
post #14 of 14 Old Jun 28th, 2010, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfmz
The Garmin Zumo 660 is probably the best rpoduct out there (the 665 is the same product with satellite radio).Make sure you buy a traffic receiver with it. It's worth the 50 or so bucks, especially if you live/drive in a an area with heavy trafic.

The Interphone F4 is a great product. To be honest, wasn't aware it was sold in the US! The Cardo G4 is a viable alternative.
I bought a used GTM-12 antenna from eBay for my Zumo 660 and paid ($60?) for the lifetime traffic subscription that goes with it. The traffic subscription is provided by ClearChannel, and is transmitted from their FM radio stations.

(If you have a Zumo 550 or Zumo 665, you can also pay a monthly subscription for XM, which offers a traffic option.)

My experience with the GTM-12 and ClearChannel traffic has been marginal at best. I live in Southern California and good reliable traffic info would be helpful. Most of the time I am in heavy traffic, it doesn't show up on the screen. If you want to see a traffic speed map (red, yellow, green) the Zumo hides a lot of other useful details. The traffic feature seems to be based more on incidents, rather than actual traffic speeds. There was one time where an accident closed the freeway ahead of me, and it reported the problem - first as a delay, and eventually as a closure.

One good thing - I have been on several very long distance rides, including one across the country, and found that it picks up a traffic signal in most urban and even some fairly remote areas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in