BMW Announces Large Recall - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old May 24th, 2010, 12:11 am Thread Starter

BMW Announces Large Recall

I this was posted already, please excuse me, as I missed it, but as it may be important to members of the forum, here you are.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_i...s_large_recall

The link points the BMWMOA site. In case you have any trouble with it, here you are, sans formatting:

May 20, 2010

BMW has announced the recall of its R-Series Boxer-Twin and K 1200 GT motorcycles after a potential fault in a brake pipe was detected. The affected units include the ones manufactured between August 2006 and May 2009.

The company has identified a risk of leaks in the braking system of its K 1200 GT motorcycles and other models built on the same base. In its official statement, BMW explained that it was possible that vibrations on affected motorcycles could cause the front brake pipe to leak and, over an extended period of time, brake fluid to escape.

"In the event of this happening, riders will notice the leaking brake fluid or a reduction in the brake fluid level in the handlebar mounted brake fluid reservoir. This may result in a gradual loss of braking performance of the front brake. The rear brake is not affected."

No accidents have been reported so far because of the issue. Sources close to the matter state that the recently issued recall notice might involve some 122,000 units worldwide. BMW's contact center will start contacting customers on Thursday with regard to the recall.

If you have any questions, please contact your local dealer.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in