Rear Brake Seizure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

Rear Brake Seizure

I have a 2008 K1200GT with 31,000 miles on it (4,000 on the rear brake pads). Last night coming home from a long ride the rear brake seized. My buddy said the rotor was cherry red from heat.

After percolating for 10 minutes, I mashed hard on the brake pedal (which was as hard as a rock) and ruptured a seal or seals in the wheel cylinder so I could at least ride it home.

Does anyone have an idea as to the probable cause? Are there any inherent problems with BMW rear brakes?

In 1977 I had a new Harley with the first rear wheel disc brake on Harleys. They would seize, and it was finally determined the relief hole was too far back in the cylinder and was being blocked by the piston. The dealers had been adjusting the rear brake pedal too tightly.

I am inclined to have the entire system replaced at the rear wheel. Rotor for sure, as well as caliper and pads. Is this necessary?

Thanks for any help.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Rear Brake Seizure

First I've heard of a rear brake seizing on one of these, so nothing inherent to be dealt with as far as I know. When you say "ruptured a seal or seals in the wheel cylinder" do you mean at the caliper or at the brake master cylinder? Sounds like you may still be under warranty so I would take it to the dealer and have them address it as such. I would think a rotor and pad replacement and a full system flush with new fluid at minimum, and an assessment of the rest of the system to determine what caused it to seize in the first place. The caliper is probably OK unless the source of the problem is stuck pistons, and if so a new one of those, too.

I remember having loads of "fun" with rear brakes on my '80 Shovelhead. I ended up having to replace everything with aftermarket parts to get something that would work and not seize up.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Apr 11th, 2010, 8:32 pm Thread Starter

When I pressed hard on the brake lever it felt like something burst in the caliper and fluid ran out onto the ground from the caliper, smoking as it hit the rotor. I assumed it was a seal in the caliper. The brakes released and I could ride home. I have no rear brake.

This probably has nothing to do with the original problem.

Thanks for your help.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 1:21 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapod2t
When I pressed hard on the brake lever it felt like something burst in the caliper and fluid ran out onto the ground from the caliper, smoking as it hit the rotor. I assumed it was a seal in the caliper. The brakes released and I could ride home. I have no rear brake.

This probably has nothing to do with the original problem.

Thanks for your help.
Hmm, not sure what to make of that other than a seal or fitting on/in the caliper letting go. I wouldn't think a piston could pop out of the caliper with the pads intact and it still installed on the rotor. Sounds like a caliper may be needed as well, or at least that one rebuilt.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 12th, 2010, 8:08 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

THIS is all I could find on any brake problems on the GT

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

So . . . the good news is, there's no inherent problem with BMW brakes, it was a rock stuck in the linkage near the rear brake pedal. The bad news is, for me at least, since it is a road hazard, it is not covered under warranty and, as such, will cost me $650.

The rupture was of the brake line at the coupling near the caliper.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
post #7 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 5:49 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
So . . . the good news is, there's no inherent problem with BMW brakes, it was a rock stuck in the linkage near the rear brake pedal. The bad news is, for me at least, since it is a road hazard, it is not covered under warranty and, as such, will cost me $650.

The rupture was of the brake line at the coupling near the caliper.
They would still have to explain to me why the line ruptured. No amount of pedal force should be able to rupture the line.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 14 Old Apr 13th, 2010, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

I'm sure it was the extreme heat from the rotor (it was glowing cherry red) that damaged the coupling from the hose to the fitting on the caliper. You could see a yellowish rubber or silicon goo oozing out.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 8:49 am

I had a seizure last year. Stopping for a red light I used the foot brake to hold my bike, when the light went green the engine choked and had to be restarted. Slipping the clutch I managed to get the bike up on the sidewalk and with the help of a bypasser get it up on the main stand. The rear wheel was blocked and the brake pedal was hard as a rock. I checked the brake pads and everything else I could think of, but couldn`t find anything wrong. After taking a break, I wondered why the brake pedal was so hard and found a small pebbel from my driveway lodged between the swinging point of the pedal and the rear of the frame. It had probably fallen from my boot and was lying there and when the brake pedal was pressed it lodged itself blocking the return. After removing the pebble the brakes where fine and have been ever since.
Quote:
I have a 2008 K1200GT with 31,000 miles on it (4,000 on the rear brake pads). Last night coming home from a long ride the rear brake seized. My buddy said the rotor was cherry red from heat.

After percolating for 10 minutes, I mashed hard on the brake pedal (which was as hard as a rock) and ruptured a seal or seals in the wheel cylinder so I could at least ride it home.

Does anyone have an idea as to the probable cause? Are there any inherent problems with BMW rear brakes?

In 1977 I had a new Harley with the first rear wheel disc brake on Harleys. They would seize, and it was finally determined the relief hole was too far back in the cylinder and was being blocked by the piston. The dealers had been adjusting the rear brake pedal too tightly.

I am inclined to have the entire system replaced at the rear wheel. Rotor for sure, as well as caliper and pads. Is this necessary?

Thanks for any help.
post #10 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 10:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

I am presuming that BMW brakes are similar to the rest. If that's the case then what happens is that the slight application of the master cylinder or debris blocks the return port in the system and slight vibrations from riding build pressure in the line until the system overloads. I had an old Yamaha where the metallic chunks in the rear pads welded to the rotor. Hindsight is always 20-20 but the easy way to get home is to open the bleeder valve and pump the handle or foot peddle a couple of times and get some air in it. I too remember the problems with the old Harleys. Rumor was that the company paid out some personal injury claims on that case.
post #11 of 14 Old Apr 15th, 2010, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Well . . . all of you guys are right, especially the guy that told about stopping at a light and then experiencing problems pulling away. I had no problems pulling away, the sluggishness started a mile or two down the road. I had no idea what was happening and thought it was another flat. When I pulled into the gas station up the road a mile or so, all became evident but it was too late. Everything had melted.

See the culprit in the photos attached. From the looks of the curve and the pocket in the brake pedal arm, this looks ripe for what happened. A perfect rock catcher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Caulkins-1.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	26972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Caulkins 2.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	275.4 KB
ID:	26973  

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:48 pm

This seems to happen enough to be unsettling as I too had a rock get caught in my rear brake lever a few weeks back, and I've only had the bike about a month. I was fortunate enough to be on a 40 mph road heading towards the higway and I noticed how when I let off the throttle the bike would jerk down to a stop. I hit my front brakes, nothing. Then when I hit my rear brakes I heard a click and the bike was free. Was only bound up for a couple blocks so I got way lucky! When I got home, I checked to see what was hanging up, and discovered that one time wasn't enough, as there was another rock waiting to drop in again! They had dislodged with some tar I knocked looses when I was cleaning my new to me bike I had just picked up from the dealer. This bike really seems destined to go down as a real turd in the BMW history books. I'm glad I still have two riding seasons left on my warranty!!!!

I might be a sociopath, but at least I have a path!
post #13 of 14 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 7:41 pm Thread Starter

I love the bike, but it does have some quirks that imply BMW didn't give a shit about them, or are just incompetent. That rear brake lever looks like a catchers mitt for rocks.

PS It wasn't covered under warranty and cost me $750!

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
post #14 of 14 Old May 4th, 2010, 9:44 am

Similar thing happened to me yesterday - getting off the highway was real difficult; no idea what was going on until I pulled in the clutch and the bike stopped!

The rear brake lever was solid no movement, tried to disenage the master cylinder but was unable to.

I cracked the brake line at the caliper and a small burst of fluid came out and I was able to get my pedal bck and get home.

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in