more issues with this pile of Teutonic cr*p - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage
more issues with this pile of Teutonic cr*p

I took my K into my dealers to investigate the air leak around my tyre valve (TPC)

This they repaired and while doing so said they were going to do some updates to my bike. Then advised my battery was showing low so they couldnt perform the updates.

I was surprised at this, given the bike lives in a heated garage and lives on a BMW battery tender all of it's life ... and that I'd just ridden 50 miles up the M56 to take it in.

Anyway as the option was to go home and charge the battery or sit around while they did so I chose the latter.

5 hours later the bike was ready to take home having had its updates.

Enroute home I popped in for some shopping and went to raise the preload to account for this ... and the preload has stopped adjusting. The damping cycles through the comfort/normal/sport settings but the preload refuses to move from solo.

Got home and thought perhaps being on the main stand would help.... I rarely use the main stand as I've heard they're weak and prone to failure.

As soon as I pressed down on the stand the arm snapped off of it, they are really thin lightweight material that looks too weak for the job in hand... surprise surprise stands are ANOTHER item NOT covered by BMW's extended warranty. On a 12000 mile 2.5 year old bike this thing appears to be self destructing!

Dealers are I feel running me around, I've lodged a call with BMW customer services ... watch this space

PS some of the issues I've had so far are:
A couple of Ring Antenna
Replacement Airbox
Multiple software updates
Repair to brake pad warning wire
replaced rear bevel box due to corrosion paint lifting, within weeks the
replacement was the same.
Replacement suspension arms due to recall
Recalled steering damper issue
Replacement BMW Navigator III+ GPS due to moisture ingress, the replacements
the same!
The occasional refusal of the starter to turn over the engine when it's hot,
never resolved.
Cruise control problem that I tracked to some issue with the LH bar switch,
appeared to be again an ingress of corrosion. Cleaned with WD40 and working
again but begs the question about its fitness for purpose that a switch on a
motorcycle is not sufficiently waterproof. It appears that the extended
warranty does not include switchgear.

The local dealers deny there's an issue with main stands, yet someone on another forum responded to my post with this pic of his failure

http://www.eurokclub.com/download/fi...=361&mode=view

and mine is exactly the same. To me the metal looks too thin and flimsy for such an application.

At the moment I'm tempted once its fixed to swap for an FJR1300 or a GTR1400 cos I KNOW they'll have better reliability

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
... oh and the 330Ci for suit days
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 8:52 pm

Re: more issues with this pile of Teutonic cr*p

http://hondavfr1200.net/2010_honda_v..._pictures.html

Sorry to hear about your bike's problems. These really can be expensive beasts to own.......

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #3 of 23 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 9:06 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yep, my center stand broke in that exact same spot, twice. Once at 25K miles and then at 53K miles. And I've heard of other folks that have had multiple failures there, too.

After the second time, I gave up on BMW and welded it back together myself. Trust me, its not gonna break again.

As for the battery, dump the factory BMW battery and get an Odyssey PC680MJ instead. No more battery problems, and it'll spin over just as fast when hot as cold.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 23 Old Mar 17th, 2010, 11:13 pm

I now have a K13GT but on my k12GT, the dealer later told me my center stand was replace under some recall.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #5 of 23 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 4:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxreno745
I now have a K13GT but on my k12GT, the dealer later told me my center stand was replace under some recall.
Not the center stand itself, but the center stand stops were inspected and replaced as necessary. And not necessarily a Recall, but more dependent on your local dealer to push it through.

See my links above for details of this particular failure and my ultimate solution.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 23 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Interesting to note the stand on the K13GT is a different part number to the K12GT one BUT that the K12GT also lists the same number as an alternative so I assume it's an update one

K12GT
01 46527709193 CENTER STAND 3.17 1 $263.57
01 46527719350 CENTER STAND 3.17 1 $263.57

K13GT
01 46527719350 CENTER STAND 3.17 1 $263.57

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
post #7 of 23 Old Mar 18th, 2010, 8:07 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yep, the newer center stand should bolt right on to a K12. Whether you can get the dealer to cover it under warranty is a different question entirely . . .

I took some pics of the changes to the K13 center stand. They are mostly related to the lower brace and foot arm, right where they tend to break . . .

You can see the pics in post #9 of this thread.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 23 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 5:12 pm

Smile Re: more issues with this pile of Teutonic cr*p

A few weeks back my K13GT software was updated for the stalling problem. Last week I notice the oil level indicator says I need oil. I check on two occasions and the level is completely full. Dealer says a another update is forthcoming to correct this problem.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #9 of 23 Old Mar 19th, 2010, 9:12 pm

David
I had same exact issue as you after the 14.2 upgrade. My dealer got a software patch from BMW and installed it to clean up the "low oil" <!> warning issue.
Don S
post #10 of 23 Old Mar 31st, 2010, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Update:

Right ... BMW customer services have agreed after some negotiation to covering 80% of the parts and labour costs of the left hand switch assy and the centre stand.

I've insisted on the later style K13GT stand as I see little point in contributing to something that's going to fail in the same way in a short time.

The ESA is is irrelevant as it is covered by the extended warranty. I'm still not convinced there's a problem as such with it. It was working fine until they did the ECU update. After which it refuses to alter preload. Damping rates change fine but preload fails and it stuck on solo rider. I've been told it may be a coding issue or a failed update.

The repair to the tyre pressure monitor wasn't good as it is still leaking. As a result of getting hacked off with traipsing back and to to the dealership they've offered to collect and deliver the bike when repaired.

They're collecting it after the Easter break. As I have other bikes to use I'm in no rush for it back.

The main stand, I've asked for it back if BMW HQ don't want it as I'll get a repair done on it as a back up.

I'm fairly happy it's getting resolved but am wondering about getting rid of it as it concerns me that I've had so many issues.... or do I accept I've had all the probs resolved and consider it now sorted

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS

Last edited by slparry; Mar 31st, 2010 at 6:09 pm.
post #11 of 23 Old Apr 1st, 2010, 6:27 pm

If it's NOT sorted out now, there are only two choices left to you, as I see it.

1. Exorcism
2. Be rid of it

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #12 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:46 am

[QUOTE=slparry]Update:

The ESA is is irrelevant as it is covered by the extended warranty. I'm still not convinced there's a problem as such with it. It was working fine until they did the ECU update. After which it refuses to alter preload. Damping rates change fine but preload fails and it stuck on solo rider. I've been told it may be a coding issue or a failed update.

slparry-not to be a smart azz, and you sound like you know whats what-but-as I don't normally adjust preload unless I'm going on a trip and loaded up-some sometimes forget-bike has to be stopped-motor running and in neutral to adjust preload. Just saying.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #13 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2010, 12:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
There were a few other bikes that have had ESA issues just after a software update. I believe that a slightly newer software version fixed that properly. (Something like 14.2 to 14.3 maybe.)

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #14 of 23 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:19 am

So, Meese, or anyone else that can help, I have a friend with a 2009 GT. It has about 4500 miles on it and was a dealer demo for a year or so.

It has exhibited what I would describe as a battery going dead or at least damaged by having discharged, but the dealer, of course, says it's just fine. At times it turns over very slowly, and then sometimes, it does not turn over at all. We sit there for 15 or 20 minutes and then it turns over. Other times it spins just fine (maybe, but I can't tell since it's not my bike).

The dealer is checking the starter, etc., etc, and everything but the battery. I say it's the battery. Can you guys think of anything else it could be?

PS It has also exhibited the oil check thing.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #15 of 23 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 10:26 am

Quote:
At the moment I'm tempted once its fixed to swap for an FJR1300 or a GTR1400 cos I KNOW they'll have better reliability
I know a guy that did just that. He seems pretty happy now.
post #16 of 23 Old Apr 6th, 2010, 9:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

A battery load test is very simple to do, and the dealer should have done that already. If nothing else, have your friend convince them that it will "eliminate" the battery as the problem, thus "proving" them right.

Although I have heard of one or two starter problems on the Slant/4 bikes that did require a starter replacement, those are extremely rare.

As for hard starting/slow cranking when hot, just get an Odyssey PC680MJ battery and be done with it. Much better cranking power whether the bike is hot or cold. And certainly much better than arguing with a clueless and/or unhelpful dealer . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 23 Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
I know a guy that did just that. He seems pretty happy now.
You want to stay away from those two. My FJR's coming up on it's first expensive ($65) valve check at 24k miles and it's been nickle and dime-ing me to death what with the constant oil changing and replacing tires

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 19th, 2010, 8:30 pm

I purchased a BMW 2009 GT in Feb 2010( demo –only had 2500 miles on it). Within a day, it had slow start , not turning over . I had to keep trying turning key and after several trys it would start. I took it to dealer to have checked, was told it was a software issue and I had push the start too quick. So dealership did firmware upgrade on bike . I got the bike back, and it continued with the same problem. Took it back to dealer and was told it had a recall on the switch and needs to be replaced. While bike was in for service, I asked to have a load test done on battery. The dealer said the battery was fine, it tested 12.6.
When I got the bike back to house shut it off and waited about 30sec or so and hit start
Switch did same thing not trun over.

I tested battery with meter and it tested 12.3-12.4 so I replaced the battery with Odyssey PC680MJ battery- went from Sacramento to Death Valley round trip appx 1200 miles- not one problem, started every time with no hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
A battery load test is very simple to do, and the dealer should have done that already. If nothing else, have your friend convince them that it will "eliminate" the battery as the problem, thus "proving" them right.

Although I have heard of one or two starter problems on the Slant/4 bikes that did require a starter replacement, those are extremely rare.

As for hard starting/slow cranking when hot, just get an Odyssey PC680MJ battery and be done with it. Much better cranking power whether the bike is hot or cold. And certainly much better than arguing with a clueless and/or unhelpful dealer . . .
post #19 of 23 Old Apr 20th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
I purchased a BMW 2009 GT in Feb 2010( demo –only had 2500 miles on it). Within a day, it had slow start , not turning over . I had to keep trying turning key and after several trys it would start. I took it to dealer to have checked, was told it was a software issue and I had push the start too quick. So dealership did firmware upgrade on bike . I got the bike back, and it continued with the same problem. Took it back to dealer and was told it had a recall on the switch and needs to be replaced. While bike was in for service, I asked to have a load test done on battery. The dealer said the battery was fine, it tested 12.6.
When I got the bike back to house shut it off and waited about 30sec or so and hit start
Switch did same thing not trun over.

I tested battery with meter and it tested 12.3-12.4 so I replaced the battery with Odyssey PC680MJ battery- went from Sacramento to Death Valley round trip appx 1200 miles- not one problem, started every time with no hesitation.
So . . . I guess dealers lie.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 10:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapod2t
So . . . I guess dealers lie.
I checked the old battery last night it was 12.4 with out a load, so I dont know how on a load it was 12.6
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 21st, 2010, 11:38 am

Sounds to me like the dealer was giving you a load.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 5:25 am Thread Starter

Garage

[QUOTE=MarinPhil]
Quote:
Update:

slparry-not to be a smart azz, and you sound like you know whats what-but-as I don't normally adjust preload unless I'm going on a trip and loaded up-some sometimes forget-bike has to be stopped-motor running and in neutral to adjust preload. Just saying.
Hi Phil

I change mine regularly as during the week I ride solo but at weekends my girlfriend rides pillion.

Good idea tho' and worth mentioning.... I have real confusion with the trip meter set up on my DRZ400 as that seems to be way too confusing to reset

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS
post #23 of 23 Old Apr 22nd, 2010, 5:35 am Thread Starter

Garage

UPDATE:

Bike still with the dealers .... the list of work so far is

replaced rear tyre pressure monitor/valve .. to be paid for .. although I'd paid £75 before!
replacing ESA shock .. warranty ... not sure if front or rear
replacing clutch .. warranty ... squealing noticed by tech
replaced main stand .. BMW 80% me 20% (K13000GT unit fitted)
LH switch cluster .. BMW 80% me 20%
exhaust clamp .. to be paid for .. £18

Lots of problems they keep whining that it's not covered cos it's corrosion. Well to be honest on a 2.5 year old 13000 miles bike that spends most of its time in my garage I would contest that the corrosion resistance is inadequate! Those items are the "to be paid for" in my list above.

I'm hoping the excess vibration was from the clutch problem.

In addition to the previous list this is what's been done before

1.A couple of Ring Antenna
2.Replacement Airbox
3.Multiple software updates
4.Repair to brake pad warning wire
5.Replaced rear bevel box due to corrosion paint lifting, within weeks the replacement was the same.
6.Replacement suspension arms due to recall
7.Recalled steering damper issue
8.Replacement BMW Navigator III+ GPS due to moisture ingress, the replacements the same!
9.The occasional refusal of the starter to turn over the engine when it's hot, never resolved.
10.Replaced ASC switch
11.Replaced rear seat heater switch
12.Front caliper mounting bolts (I've bought stainless now as the originals keep corroding)

I'm sure it would've been cheaper to have given me a new bike

--
Steve Parry
Current fleet is
14 BMW R1200RT LE
07 BMW K1200GT SE
03 BMW R1100S BoxerCup
14 BMW F800GS
87 BMW R80RS

Last edited by slparry; Apr 22nd, 2010 at 5:46 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in