Lt /gt /rt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

Lt /gt /rt

I rode an LT for the last 8 years and looking at going to something a little lighter. My wife has started riding her own bike now so I'm not riding 2 up as ofter. I just test rode the new RT and was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Made me start thinking it may be easier to go over to the GT instead. Anyone else with any experience on all 3 bikes?

Terry Kirkland
Black 03 LT
Broken Arrow Oklahoma
BMW MOA #144774

Life is like a coin,
you can spend it on anything you want
But you can only spend it once
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 9:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Lt /gt /rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirklan
Anyone else with any experience on all 3 bikes?
Yes, and as you may imagine, this question has come up a few times before.

All three bikes mentioned are comfortable, handle well, get great mileage, and offer more amenities than most other brands out there. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, so it's really up to the individual rider to decide what's most important to them.

The bottom line is that you need to go test ride a GT next, then you'll know which bike is right for you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 36 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:59 am

I rode a GL1800, loved it, but wanted a slimmer mistress.

Looked at both the GT and RT, settled on the RT because of ergonomics. When I first bought the RT I wasn't that impressed. After 1000 miles, smiles ear to ear. It's a pretty special bike. Just took awhile to realize it.

Dave

2010 K1300GT
2009 1200RT
2005 GL1800
1992 ZX-10
1984 500 Interceptor

post #4 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 3:45 pm
fas

Rode my LT four years. Loved it. Moved to the GT. The power saved my butt more than once. Agility is much better in urban environment than LT. For me the GT is the ideal ride, especially for 2-up fun. I added the 39L BMW topcase and it holds 2 helmets perfectly. Unlike the LT, all three cases are removable for fun rides when you don't need to take stuff along.

Good luck with your decision. Go ride them at the dealership. Take your time to decide.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #5 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:31 pm

Going from an LT to a GT is the best way to accumulate speeding tickets in a hurry. Or do anything else in a hurry. Cannot prove that by me, but I have a riding buddy how doubled his payment one month last summer.

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #6 of 36 Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 10:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBil
Going from an LT to a GT is the best way to accumulate speeding tickets in a hurry.
Yeah, I've "heard" the same thing . . .

Let's see, my GT is almost three years old now, so those problems should start falling away soon . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 36 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 9:56 am

I just went from an LT to a 2010 RT two weeks ago. I love it. What didn't you like about it? I really wanted to like the Gt because of the 4 cyl but the bike is not comfortable to me as a touring bike.
Ken
post #8 of 36 Old Mar 4th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Like you I was confused on which to buy. GT or RT, back and forth, etc.

I bought an RT and pined for the GT. Bought a GT and within a month missed my RT and regretted buying the GT.

The GT is a fine bike, but just not as easy to live with.
post #9 of 36 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 5:15 am

I just went from an lt to a new rt love the lighter feel and handling tried the gt but bought the rt and very pleased.
post #10 of 36 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 8:28 am

All three are fine motorcycles. I have been in a very similar place as you are presently. Here are a few thoughts:

You have had 8 years of a smooth 4 cylinder BMW so I assume you enjoyed the feel. The GT gives you that feel with an extra 50 ponies and TORQUE load it down you will notice very, very little decrease if any in performance. This is a Sport/Touring bike, connected to the road, fair wind protection, adjustable ergos, a little o the sport side.

The new RT is a great package, more touring than sport, great wind protection all the great stuff. Outstanding machine. The question was for me and may be for you, are you a fan of the twin or the 4 cylinder.

For me the answer came down to performance, engine performance, and in this area the K wins hands down.

The great news is they Both are wonderful choices and are very easy to live with on a trip or as a daily rider.

2010 K1300GT
2009 R1200GSA
Beemer in the garage since 1977
BMWMOA #20238
DALLAS, TEXAS
post #11 of 36 Old May 4th, 2010, 10:16 pm

I am considering this same thing. Rode the 2010 RT and a 1200GT today.

RT - Great protection, good riding position, but did not like the vibration and "feel" at low speeds. Nimble. On the 2010, the mirrors are useless! Do not like the new japanese switchgear - feels cheap.

GT - The engine is incredible - feels like a turbine engine, and pulls like one too! Problem with buffeting, and not as comfortable, but still good. I rode the 1200, so curious about the changes with the 1300.

Ride home on the LT had me scratching my head. Maybe I will stay put. Maybe I can talk my other half into taking a test ride on the GT. Not sure if I will make the change or not, but the GT sure had me smiling.

All are good though.

'10 K1300s (Current)
'08 LT - Blue (For Sale)
'07 Triumph Tiger
'06 WeeStrom
'83 Honda 650 Turbo
'82 XT550
'76 Ducati 750SS
'78 Ducati Darmah
'78 XT500
'79 Suzuki 1000
'77 RM250
'76 DT125

post #12 of 36 Old May 11th, 2010, 11:54 am

Hi guys!

Ive got one question here: do you consider the wind protection better in GT than RT? Im quite tall, 610 (186cm).
I drove RT 2005 last summer and was not really satisfied with the windscreens protection. LT was better!

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #13 of 36 Old May 11th, 2010, 11:57 am

I just found the other thread

Jukka

rides 1200GS -07 (LT -01 sold 22th june 2010)
post #14 of 36 Old May 11th, 2010, 5:16 pm

I have just gone from LT to RT...love the RT, fun bike to ride and I feel so much better getting it around in traffic...but....drove home from dealers last week and it was very, very windy... I was getting tossed around a lot more than I did on the LT and didn't like that. But as the ride went on I got more used to it, relaxed a bit, and went with the flow of the wind gusts and it wasn't so much of a problem by the time I got home. Haven't had the wife on it yet, so I can't comment on 2 up aspects. I am sure it is not as good as the LT, but for me, the fun is back in biking because of the handling of the RT. Don't know about the GT, but I find the acceleration on the RT pleanty for me, it was 2 weeks and 500 km before I ever got it into 6th gear. It is a heck of a lot faster when you twist the throttle than the LT was. I think we all really need one of each, but for me I can't afford it, and my garage won't hold them all.

post #15 of 36 Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 7:05 am

Talking Re: Lt /gt /rt

I have owned 3 LT's, 3 RT's and 2 Gt's (1 of the new generation). I sold my last RT (2007) for the GT (2008). I live in Mesquite Nevada, my nearest BMW dealer is in Las Vegas. If I need any major work done on the bike I take it Orange County California (Seavers). I do my own minor services which to this point has been only oil changes, air cleaner services, again easy stuff. I was one of those that got caught up in the engine performance. How can anyone over look 150+ HP compared to 110, totally addicting. After living with the GT now for almost 2 years I wished I kept the RT. Yes the RT vibrates a little (if you keep the throttle bodies synchronized the vibration is kept at a minimum). The RT does not have the jet like acceleration of the GT (so addicting) and so much fun especially out here in the vast waste lands of Nevada where one can cruise near or at 100+ mph for hours (not that I would ever consider that or would suggest that to be safe or prudent).

Another consideration for me is I live 100+ miles from the closest BMW dealer. The RT is more user friendly when it comes to regular maintenances. The RT gives me better wind protection, the ergonomics are better on the RT especially in the knees, I like the stereo not available on the GT, to me the windshield is more affective on the RT. I currently have my GT for sale and I will be going back to the RT.

These are strictly my findings and a decision like this has got to be evaluated by you. I will say, ride both as many times as your dealer will allow. Time in the saddle will tell you more than anyone here.........Good luck.........Bob
post #16 of 36 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 11:01 am

Since this is a GT site, I'll say I have ridden the RT and it feels like a tractor in every respect compared to the GT. If I want yesterday's technology, I stay on my Harley and have lots more fun on a real motorcycle.

PS If I want superior wind protection, I stay in my car, NOT!

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #17 of 36 Old Jun 4th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapod2t
Since this is a GT site, I'll say I have ridden the RT and it feels like a tractor in every respect compared to the GT. If I want yesterday's technology, I stay on my Harley and have lots more fun on a real motorcycle.

PS If I want superior wind protection, I stay in my car, NOT!
I'd hardly call a DOHC boxer "yesterday's technology". To that end, I-4 engines in motorcycles have been around for what...60 years? This coming from a 2007 GT owner.

I won't touch the "real motorcycle" remark.
post #18 of 36 Old Jun 14th, 2010, 7:37 am

After a 600 mile test ride (yes, that's correct. And in ONE day no less) I now own all three. A 1150RT, 1200LT and now 1300GT. Funny thing is, they each shine in their own way. But to me the RT is still the favorite for all around best bike. The LT does great at the long haul, especially if you have to slab for a day or two just because of the cruise control and the nice comfy ride. The GT is phenomenal at the GO FAST department. When I'm riding it I know there are very few other cars or bikes that can touch it. Makes you king of the hill if you want. But, the GT doesn't have the ergos that the RT does. Even with the adjustable handlebars it still leans me over too much and after 500 miles I start to get a hot spot between my shoulders. The LT keeps me sitting upright, but I have to stop every 150 miles to let the feeling back into me arse. The RT is just right for me. But that's the key, for me. Not everyone out there is 5'11", 270 lbs and has the posture of a Raggedy Ann doll. The moral of the story is that all three are GREAT bikes and with a few farkles you can personalize any of them to be your dreamliner. Good luck with whatever you choose, but I doubt you'll be disappointed after a few thousand miles.
post #19 of 36 Old Jun 14th, 2010, 9:43 am

I installed Verholen Bar Risers and they help alot! They run about $200 and install in minutes.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #20 of 36 Old Jun 14th, 2010, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkirklan
I rode an LT for the last 8 years and looking at going to something a little lighter. My wife has started riding her own bike now so I'm not riding 2 up as ofter. I just test rode the new RT and was not as impressed as I thought I would be. Made me start thinking it may be easier to go over to the GT instead. Anyone else with any experience on all 3 bikes?
Ive been fighting this dilemma myself for some time now. Ive seen your inquiry on other forums and please keep in mind that you are on a Forum dedicated to K Type engines.

Although I still change my mind from time to time, my next bike just might be the K1300GT. I did walk into a BMW dealership with a Credit Union check in pocket and turn around, walked out of a dream. There were still some niggling doubt and the thought of what the 2010 R1200RT might bring.

Then came the research into the Kawasaki Concurs - 14 with its no (none what-so-ever) lash final drive and a price tag $8K less. But, for now, Im still sticking to BMWmaybe.

So to be honest with you I dont know where Id go or where you should go. They are both fine machines. Do a little more research. I have an entire external drive devoted to this type of research. Ive found:

1. There are a lot of converts R1200RT to K1200/1300GT

2. There are a tad more converts K1200GT/1300GT to R1200RT

3. There are a lot of mind changers R1200RT to K1200GT then back to R1200RT

4. The R1200RT outsells the K1200/1300GT buy an exceptional amount. In fact the R1200RT ranks in the top 10 (usual around 5 or 6) selling bikes in the worldand its the only one over 600CC.

5. Despite the large numbers sold a used R1200RT is not easy to come by. Ive looked for used RTs but the resell values are far too high for my likes.

6. It is a Buyers Choice when it comes to the GT. Resell is fairly low compared to the RT. There are quite a few GTs out there. Unlike with a used R1200RT, you dont have to settle of a color that's available; you actually have choices and can take your time shopping without the fear of losing out on a good deal. There are LOTS of good deals on GTs. Lots ofem.

Average Resell Values (from my past findings):

RT $14,995
GT $14,080

2007:
RT $13,355
GT $12,700

2006:
RT $12,500
GT $11,900

7. Unlike the R1200RT, the GT is sometimes not a good fit (Comfort and Power) for the average rider. Too much power...not enough comfort.

8. K1200/1300GT owners for the most part (not all of them) tend to be more aggressive and outspoken. R1200RT owners tend to be more mild mannered. Whether this is true is a matter of opinion. But try reading posts from GT and RT Forums and its easy to see there is a difference in what is posted and how its answered.

There is really no way to know for sure unless one spends a great amount of time on each. Just about anyone can live with the R1200RT but the K1300GT is a Yes or No bike.
post #21 of 36 Old Jun 19th, 2010, 6:56 pm

I sold a GL1800 for a K1300GT and have been happy with the styling and power. Then I bought a S1000RR, which takes care of any power desires. What I'm looking for is a bike that can burn up miles with the most comfort and he least worry of breakdowns.

Both the LT and GL1800 are due for a refresh so I'm in limbo.

I got the Russell seat for the GT which is amazing (with foot-peg lowering kit and verholen bar risers). Did a Saddle Sore 1000 and could have done a 1500 butt-wise, but my neck and shoulders were numb. Had the GT in for service and tried to get an RT loaner but it was already out.

Wife is not going on any long trips, which is one of the reasons I sold the Goldwing. So, assuming the new LT is as comfortable as the current LT, which is the best 1000 mile per day, one up tourer for a tall guy (I'm 6' 3")?
post #22 of 36 Old Jun 19th, 2010, 10:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

After reading Xavier's very thorough and logical post, I can say that you obviously choose the RT with your head, but you choose the GT with your heart, and then just punch it and don't look back.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 36 Old Jul 12th, 2010, 2:55 pm

I test rode an RT when I was looking for a bike last year. The RT has lots more dodads and amenities and a bit larger of a fairing than the GT. To me it felt heavier than the GT too. The RT seemed to develop torque a bit quicker off the line than the GT did. However, once the GT got near the 3,000 rpm mark, well, it leaped. It felt more agile on the turns. The GT just felt smoother to me and I knew it had loads of power if I wanted it, while a certain amount of refined quality at the lower rpms. I went with a GT, but the RT still whispers in my ear. It's a tough choice, both bikes are excellent. I typically ride my GT to commute to work and pleasure rides. So it gets twisty back roads to bumper to bumper rot and everything in between. So the best advice is to just go for a ride on both and compare.

Kalli
2013 K1600 GTL

Former owner
2006 K1200 GT
post #24 of 36 Old Jul 13th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Not to flog a dead horse, but the new GT has had more than its share of recalls and other issues -- some safety related. If you live a distance from a dealer or are easily annoyed when things do not work as they should on a $23,000 bike, keep this in mind. From what I have read, the newer RT's have proven more reliable. The GT does provide a little more room for rider and passenger and is certainly quicker and smoother.
post #25 of 36 Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:12 am
SRM

I just moved from my LT to a GT and am very happy with the move! Numerous members have all migrated to a machine with more power & agility - for me, that is the GT... I'm also on the tall side - and the GT IS tall!

I got rid of the 'cheesy' windscreen, a peg lowering kit is coming and I will definitely replace the seat; however, I knew that I would be making these adjustments when I purchased the bike and I would probably find myself giving the RT a similar treatment....

I like the GT because I was more interested in performance - I commute ~100miles daily - with the new farkles, this bike will be the 'Tiger LT' that I've been wanting.

Good luck with whatever you buy - get what 'feels good' for you and hit the road -- be sure to stay 'plugged in' here too!

Stephen Malm
'07 GT - Blue Tooth
'03 LT - Silver Bullet
'85 HD Sportster - junk
'84 Suzook GSX 1100 EF
2 many dirt bikes to mention

Prisoner of the white lines on the freeway.....
post #26 of 36 Old Nov 27th, 2013, 6:08 pm

Garage

Reviving an old thread.

I think my love affair with my LT is just about over. After 8 years, I'm yearning for a new touring bike.

I plan on trading in my tired LT with 76K for a 2009 1300GT with just over 20K. Can anyone comment on the 1300GT vs the newer 1200RT?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #27 of 36 Old Nov 28th, 2013, 7:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019
Reviving an old thread.

I think my love affair with my LT is just about over. After 8 years, I'm yearning for a new touring bike.

I plan on trading in my tired LT with 76K for a 2009 1300GT with just over 20K. Can anyone comment on the 1300GT vs the newer 1200RT?
Rob, not a direct answer to your question but I love my RT. As you may recall, I've had a couple of LT's. Put 90,000+ on the '99 and 87,000 on the '05. Loved both bikes and never had a serious issue with either. About a two years ago my wife quit riding with me and the '05 was getting a little long in the tooth so I was hankering for something newer and lighter. I test rode a couple of RTs and was pleased with them. Sold the LT and found a great deal on a 2011 RT with all the toys. I bought the RT in Jan this year and have put nearly 15,000 miles on it including a couple of 4000 + mile trips. I love the bike. True the 4 cylinders are some smoother than the 2 banger but it's no big deal for me. The performance and handling are for me marginally better than the LT and the 250 # plus weight reduction is a real asset. Slow speed and parking lot handling is far easier. My only real objection to the RT was the stock seat. It had the standard height seat and for me after about 2 hours it was a true pain in the ass. While my favorite after market seat is the Russell I found a deal on a Sargents saddle that was too good to pass up and I'm happy to say that it is working out very well. 6 to 8 hours in the saddle is now possible. OH yea, I average around 50 mpg, same as I did on the LT and routine maintenance is a whole bunch quicker and easier than the LT.
Good luck with your decision.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #28 of 36 Old Nov 28th, 2013, 8:29 am

Not the question you asked but I had a '02 LT that I thought I would never leave it even though my wife quit riding about the time I bought it. I debated getting a new RT or a late K1300 this last spring but after riding the RT I found I had changed to fit the LT riding style so much I didn't fit anymore. But I was enticed to try the new k1600 and ended up buying a new K1600GTL. I got it over the GT as it isn't that much more expensive and you get the top case as well as it is geared (wired?) a little less sporty than the GT which is nice coming from the LT. I do love the extra power (incredible) and the features are really sweet especially the new Schubert helmet with the BMW bluetooth I got with it. First month I had it me and another couple went to the RA rally in Asheville and my friend took me through roads I didn't know existed in North Ga., the Carolina's and Tennessee and the bike was all I could wish for. I even have a picture from Deals Gap camera guys as my desktop background. I know their are some first year ones coming available and they have probably had all the issues fixed that were found with the K1600 plus all the leftover '13's which may have some good deals, but I understand the "14 are coming out with a hill stop feature which apparently helps with stopping on hills. Just a little extra thoughts to further confuse you.
post #29 of 36 Old Nov 28th, 2013, 11:49 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Rob, not a direct answer to your question but I love my RT. As you may recall, I've had a couple of LT's. Put 90,000+ on the '99 and 87,000 on the '05. Loved both bikes and never had a serious issue with either. About a two years ago my wife quit riding with me and the '05 was getting a little long in the tooth so I was hankering for something newer and lighter. I test rode a couple of RTs and was pleased with them. Sold the LT and found a great deal on a 2011 RT with all the toys. I bought the RT in Jan this year and have put nearly 15,000 miles on it including a couple of 4000 + mile trips. I love the bike. True the 4 cylinders are some smoother than the 2 banger but it's no big deal for me. The performance and handling are for me marginally better than the LT and the 250 # plus weight reduction is a real asset. Slow speed and parking lot handling is far easier. My only real objection to the RT was the stock seat. It had the standard height seat and for me after about 2 hours it was a true pain in the ass. While my favorite after market seat is the Russell I found a deal on a Sargents saddle that was too good to pass up and I'm happy to say that it is working out very well. 6 to 8 hours in the saddle is now possible. OH yea, I average around 50 mpg, same as I did on the LT and routine maintenance is a whole bunch quicker and easier than the LT.
Good luck with your decision.

I was hoping you would chime in. I remember seeing that you switched to the RT. I figured the older style GT's K engine was more similar to the LT but with more power.

D, I'd love a 1600 but the budget just won't allow for it at this time. Besides, I think the new S1000R might be in my stable in a year or two. Then I will splurg on a big bucks bike. Until then, sub 9K is my budget

Might be time to reconsider the RT.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #30 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2013, 4:22 pm

Makes me grin to hear about "vibration" on the boxer RT.

Assuming proper synchronization ...

... the bike has a balancer shaft, so you should conclude BMW designed it that way.

What way? To feel like boxers have always felt. I call it "massage" and certainly not vibration. It's a joy. My old R80G/S is too smooth--hence boring--for my taste. The new bikes feel like the old R100. A recent Motorcycle Consumer News contains the statement that many times when designing an engine with a balancer shaft, the designers will leave in a little "character," as it's what riders prefer. Again, the R100 feel.

Have you read the "press release" for the new water cooled RT? 2-3 paragraphs about the new, heavier flywheel. One magazine at least noted that the the initial bikes with this new engine, i.e. R1200GS, were a little buzzy. BMW can't have and can't afford that, so already an engine modification. The feel of the boxer is a set in stone tradition IMHO.

Vibration? See the original K-bike, the K100RS of 1984. On my first test ride I was in top gear within a city block of the dealer trying to make the buzz go away. It wouldn't. While I'm certain they are much improved over the years, I haven't considered K-bike ownership for a nanosecond since.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Last edited by lkchris; Dec 4th, 2013 at 4:29 pm.
post #31 of 36 Old Dec 4th, 2013, 5:42 pm

So you rode a K bike 30 years ago and that's what you're basing your opinion on?

You do know that the 'Flying Brick' was/is a very reliable and sought after engine? That buzziness....maybe for a few but for 88k miles mine was fine.

And Ks are now slants...all of them. So your opinion about 30 year old rides/engines well......
post #32 of 36 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 12:24 pm

I have owned an LT , GT and now have an RT. The 2008 Gt I just sold because it was extremely difficult for me to not use the power that motor produces and was going over 100 mph on a daily basis. If you can restrain yourself it is a great bike if you are like me it is so hard to keep it at the speed limit!!
post #33 of 36 Old Dec 31st, 2013, 9:35 pm

Ever since the brick K-RS went away, K bikes don't really float my boat (though I own a K1200GT- wedge motor). I use an R1200RT for touring, the GT as a rare sub for it, and the K-RS for fun.
The SO (who mostly rides one of her own 3 bikes) says both my GT and the 6 cyl one are better for her than the RT on the rare times shes does pillion (mostly when she wants to drink at dinner).

You have to ride them to pick what does it for you. For sure the K's are in a different performance league than the boxers but I find the RT more comfortable for the longer runs. Almost anything is easier to manage at slow speeds than a fully loaded LT
post #34 of 36 Old Feb 6th, 2014, 7:30 pm

Garage

The deed has been done- sold the LT this past weekend and will be picking up my buddies 07 GT on Saturday. With 11K, this baby has been a well maintained garage queen. My hope is to ride it down to STC in April.

Now, if the damned snow will stop, I might get to ride before the damned Fourth of July.

Rob V.B.
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

post #35 of 36 Old Feb 8th, 2014, 8:57 am
Super Moderator

Could not bear to let the flying couch go but now it has a garage mate . . . see
my signatory. What you can't tell is that the K1200GT is a hack (sidecar rig) -
will post pictures soon as there is no snow in the backdrop . . .

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #36 of 36 Old Feb 14th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVB1019 View Post
The deed has been done- sold the LT this past weekend and will be picking up my buddies 07 GT on Saturday. With 11K, this baby has been a well maintained garage queen. My hope is to ride it down to STC in April.

Now, if the damned snow will stop, I might get to ride before the damned Fourth of July.
Be sure that the jump guard for the timing chain has been installed. A very expensive repair if it jumps a tooth. Also keep a close eye on the rear hub. One member of our club had 2 failures on a 1200gt and one on his 1300gt. None made it past 25,000 miles. Definitely an aggressive rider, but the BMW rep was so embarrassed by 3 failures in 4 years, he gave him a $500 credit on his next bike, a K1600GT.

Chuck Swenson,
Sioux City, IA
2010 R1200RT Low with ESA2!
2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in