Parkade Metal Sensor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Parkade Metal Sensor

I like to ride my GT to work during the summer, but am having problems because the GT doesn't have enough metal on it to activate the sensor to let me into the buildings underground parking lot. Since there is usually no parking attendant around, it makes getting in a big PITA. I was wondering if one of those magnets that you attach to the bottom of your bike to activite traffic lights would work and if so, would anyone have a supplier and model that they would recommend.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 2:33 pm

Re: Parkade Metal Sensor

If the sensor is a loop of wire in the ground. It "might" work. It might not...

If the vehicle is sensed in some other way. Probably not.

You'll need to get the magnet as low as you can...It is just a big magnet.. So go find a big one someplace and try it...No need to spend a bunch of money on magnets..Got an old speaker ? Pop the magnet off the back of the frame with a chisel.

You could get a few from old hard disks, Then stack them together. Fasten them to your boot... Then wave your boot over the loop... That'd likely work for sure.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks John! I will try the magnet off an old speaker. I appreciate you showing me how to save a few bucks. Ron

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
Thanks John! I will try the magnet off an old speaker. I appreciate you showing me how to save a few bucks. Ron
I bet that the magnet doesn't help, but do let us know.

Traffic loops use a high-frequency oscillating current to induce currents in the metal of your vehicle. The traffic loop wires are connected to a sensor, which detects the effects of the induced currents on the traffic loop.

The magnet won't help, other than providing some additional conductive metal. A same-sized piece of non-magnetized (but conductive) metal would have the same effect.

How do I know? I will never forget the bet I made with my physics prof on this topic, and for the last three years I have worked on the traffic loops and sensors that operate the gates of our neighborhood association. We have the sensitivity set very high - motorcycles and most bicycles can trigger them, but I have demonstrated for disbelieving neighbors that neodymium magnets cannot.
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronk1200lt
I like to ride my GT to work during the summer, but am having problems because the GT doesn't have enough metal on it to activate the sensor to let me into the buildings underground parking lot. Since there is usually no parking attendant around, it makes getting in a big PITA. I was wondering if one of those magnets that you attach to the bottom of your bike to activite traffic lights would work and if so, would anyone have a supplier and model that they would recommend.

Thanks!
Hey neighbor, we'll have to meet for a ride sometime, when the roads are clear.

P.S. Born and raised in Edmonton, escaped to little ole Leduc 3.5 yrs ago

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 10:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

If it has a coil sensor in the pavement try moving slowly across it while sliding the kick stand on the pavement. That usually works.

post #7 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickmick
Hey neighbor, we'll have to meet for a ride sometime, when the roads are clear.

P.S. Born and raised in Edmonton, escaped to little ole Leduc 3.5 yrs ago
Hi! Rick the roads were clear enough on Saturday for me to get my bike out for a 1/2 hour ride. I live near St. Albert so we will have to get together for a ride.

Ron
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
If it has a coil sensor in the pavement try moving slowly across it while sliding the kick stand on the pavement. That usually works.
I never thought of it, but lowering the kick stand will put metal closer to the ground. I will give that a try.
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 1:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Putting the side stand down in gear will kill the bike (I think) so neutral it first and coast it across.

post #10 of 14 Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 3:36 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Putting the side stand down in gear will kill the bike (I think) so neutral it first and coast it across.
It won't kill it until you let the clutch out...

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 14 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 10:32 pm
Sit

Do you have a center stand? Use it instead of the side stand, won't have to mess with finding neutral etc. Just roll up, clutch in, push the center stand down onto the loop and it may go for you. If it does, just ride in. I used this method on several of the lights around my house until I got tired of doing that and just called state highway to have them turn up the sensitivity. May want to check with owners of the garage and see if they can adjust the sensor loop, after all, you are a paying customer.
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 24th, 2010, 11:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
It won't kill it until you let the clutch out...
Huh? I ride my 2007 K1200GT into the garage, in first gear, stop with the clutch in (still in first gear), and kill the engine by lowering the side stand. Because it is in first gear, the bike is less likely to roll off the side stand if the bike is bumped by accident.
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 7:28 am

WOW !!! Hold my beer and watch this! Careful lowering either stand while moving and possible leaning..

I hit a large piece of metal in the road last month and lost the springs holding up the kickstand. Kickstand dropped down, killed the engine and I slowly rolled over to the side of the road. I had been planning to turn right, off of the interstate. Left turn would have been ugly. It could have been a pain with a pivot point to one side and me having to go the other way because of traffic.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 25th, 2010, 10:24 am

I tried one of those magnets back a few years ago. IMHO save yourself time and money. The one I had didn't accomplish anything except to make my wallet lighter. Talk to the garage people. There should be an adjustment for sensitvity for the sensors for that system. I know the traffic light sensors can be tweaked as necessary to recognize a motorcycle.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in