Fuseblocks which are best? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 8:01 pm Thread Starter

Fuseblocks which are best?

Due to a high degree of offseason farkelization, I have come to realize I need to
clean up the wiring jungle that has been created under the tupperware.

What I would like to know from those with accessory fuse blocks is, which are the better brands(if any are) and where the best prices may be.
Centech?
Touratech?
Painless?
So many choices, not sure which way to go. This would be for the 08GT(canbus)

Thanks
Rick

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 8:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Fuseblocks which are best?

That's easy, Fuzeblock, designed and sold by a Long-Distance rider. Compact, covered, built-in ground bus, built-in relay, and you can switch any circuit from key-switched to always-live just by moving the fuse over. They ain't cheap, but they rock.

Your second question (which you'll be asking soon enough) is where to tap in the relay trigger. And that depends on when you want the fuse block to turn On/Off. Here are your options:

On with the key and Off ~60 seconds after the key - use the Red/White wire from the GPS accessory plug, located up in front of the battery.

On with the key and Off with the key - use either the extra power socket on the left side of the bike, or the parking light up near the headlight (for which there is a plug & play harness available).

On when the engine starts (as opposed to when the key is turned on) and Off with the key - use the Low Beam light feed, although this does require splicing in to the existing wiring.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 17th, 2010, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Ken, you reading my mind...lol
plug and play cnx from park light? sounds slick.......BMW?

Rick

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 1:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
... On with the key and Off with the key - use either the extra power socket on the left side of the bike, or the parking light up near the headlight (for which there is a plug & play harness available). ...
I am still looking for the parking light plug & play harness. Does anyone have a link?
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 4:38 am
IBR# 366

Garage

You can get the harness that taps into the parking light at this link. It is available other places too, but Raffy is a good guy who has supported this site for over a decade now, so I like to support him back.

It says it's for a GS, but the GT has the same parking lights up front. The only difference is that the parking light bulb may not push quite as far back in as before, which is trivial.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 7:24 am

Quote:
You can get the harness that taps into the parking light at this link. It is available other places too, but Raffy is a good guy who has supported this site for over a decade now, so I like to support him back.

It says it's for a GS, but the GT has the same parking lights up front. The only difference is that the parking light bulb may not push quite as far back in as before, which is trivial.
Thanks!
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 9:45 am

Cool Re: Fuseblocks which are best?

Quote:
That's easy, Fuzeblock, designed and sold by a Long-Distance rider. Compact, covered, built-in ground bus, built-in relay, and you can switch any circuit from key-switched to always-live just by moving the fuse over. They ain't cheap, but they rock.
I have to disagree Ken, the Eastern beaver fuse block is built more robust then the Fuzeblock, I have had the main power screw terminal block on the fuzeblock delaminate from the circuit board and let me tell you, that is not something you want happening on a ride. The Eastern Beaver fuse block uses lug teminals, much better. It can be found here: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...8.html#pc8only
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 3:35 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I hadn't seen the PC-8, but I've heard that Eastern Beaver makes good stuff, and that they're very helpful to work with. It looks like it does take a separate relay though.

Have you contacted Curt about your Fuzeblock problem? It seems like if it was secured properly and the wires zip-tied in place, there shouldn't be much stress at that point.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 13 Old Feb 18th, 2010, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Ken, your buddy is out of stock on the wiring harness, gr8 idea, especially the current prevention for backflow, will wait until more in stock.

Thanks,
Rick

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2010, 8:18 am

FYI...good folks...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48495
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 19th, 2010, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Once again, so many choices, but leaning towards Fuzeblock for versatility in switched or not and built in relay and housing and size. Not rated as high capacity wise as some, but should be enuff for me....Thanks all.

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 21st, 2010, 3:00 pm

Don't forget to look at Centech,with the AP1 relay set up - I got it on mine works well

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

post #13 of 13 Old Mar 13th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Hello all

Found this in the search and was wondering if anyone has a picture of their setup? I have a 2005 KLT, and am thinking of adding a block, maybe I can get a look at some at STC this year.

Thanks
Glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in