For Those Looking At GT as LT Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:07 am Thread Starter

For Those Looking At GT as LT Replacement

http://bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/bike.jsp?b=k1200gt

But then again, AVAILABLE can have some different meanings, and April 30th is indeed April. But, nice to see in print. Site fleshed out by Miles Miller.

PS: Demo's should be available at Daytona Bike Week.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 1:50 pm

veddy int-arresting

Hmm, wonder if they'd give me the same interest rate as my '03LTE...prolly not. Looks kinda x-pensive.
post #3 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Gt $$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by waycoa
Hmm, wonder if they'd give me the same interest rate as my '03LTE...prolly not. Looks kinda x-pensive.

Fully tricked out with all options, you are pushing $21,000, up from base of $18,800. That's with everything the LT has with the exception of radio / com system ( prolly won't be available on the GT ) and the rear top trunk. Saddle bags are same as RT and the top trunk CAN be added for additional cost above.

Jon Bush
' 09 RT
"SAPHIRE"

post #4 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Thumbs up

From what I read on the online brochure, I think my favorite standard feature is "a transversely-mounted in-line 4-cyinder engine offering a whopping 152 bhp"

Please note the spelling error... from the web site

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 3:32 pm

That white color GT sure looks like a cop bike. They run around here in Arizona with white and black RT's - phasing out the Kawasaki rides.

"The problem with most people...
they don't know what they don't know".

Ravenous Reader of Non-Fiction!
post #6 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 7:13 pm

[QUOTE=zippy_gg]From what I read on the online brochure, I think my favorite standard feature is "a transversely-mounted in-line 4-cyinder engine offering a whopping 152 bhp"

No doubt. Saw this bike at the Show in San Jose a couple a months ago and man was it nice. My only issue now is what are they going to do with the LT, and should I wait for the new motor in it. I may have to have 2!
post #7 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:30 pm

549 lbs dry! If the seating position and wind protection are good, might consider one of those.

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 29 Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:14 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrod Maguire
That white color GT sure looks like a cop bike.
And that's one of its most attractive features. Add an HID low beam and a high beam modulator, and watch the cars pull out of your way as you approach.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
And that's one of its most attractive features. Add an HID low beam and a high beam modulator, and watch the cars pull out of your way as you approach.
Add in mirrored Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses, a half helmet with a big BMW logo on the front, and my POLITE stickers and you are good to go anywhere you want. Traffic? What traffic? I ride on the sidewalks!

...and probably good to be pulled over for a one hour technical inspection by THREE Pima County Sheriff's deputies like I did Christmas before last. We had a good time talking bikes, and they really liked the electric windshield.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FREE POLITE stickers for BMWLT.net members.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1889  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Add in mirrored Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses, a half helmet with a big BMW logo on the front, and my POLITE stickers and you are good to go anywhere you want. Traffic? What traffic? I ride on the sidewalks!

...and probably good to be pulled over for a one hour technical inspection by THREE Pima County Sheriff's deputies like I did Christmas before last. We had a good time talking bikes, and they really liked the electric windshield.
Ron, that's funny. I'd like to see a picture of that.

Why not go for the full "treatment" and add blue/red flashing lights, an all-weather speaker (to simulate their siren), and some official-looking decals on the sides?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 1:58 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

I thought about a large BMW logo on the side panels as well. Or maybe a compass rose like on the old maps. And I still think a set of "Wings of Red & Blue" on the LT would be useful in some situations. But you'd have to be careful. A vague resemblance to a cop bike that gets brain-dead cagers to think is one thing, but impersonating a LEO outright probably isn't worth the hassle. Though they do sell off old CHP bikes. The decals are removed, but the paint and shape remains the same.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 2:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I thought about a large BMW logo on the side panels as well. Or maybe a compass rose like on the old maps. And I still think a set of "Wings of Red & Blue" on the LT would be useful in some situations. But you'd have to be careful. A vague resemblance to a cop bike that gets brain-dead cagers to think is one thing, but impersonating a LEO outright probably isn't worth the hassle. Though they do sell off old CHP bikes. The decals are removed, but the paint and shape remains the same.
That could be cool -- you'd be the BMW K11200LT equivalent of The Blues Brothers, complete with faded paint around where the decals used to be. Cop bike, cop motor, cop shocks, cop tires, cop paint scheme.

You and your passenger could do the line (paraphrasing from that movie):
Ken: "It's 2500 miles to Ohio, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark outside, and we're wearing sunshields on our Nolans."
Passenger: "Hit it."

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 2:28 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yep, I can picture that happening . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #14 of 29 Old Feb 9th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Ron, that's funny. I'd like to see a picture of that.

Why not go for the full "treatment" and add blue/red flashing lights, an all-weather speaker (to simulate their siren), and some official-looking decals on the sides?
Hmmm, that would probably would have gotten me get free overnight accomodations and dinner... and a date the next morning with a somber man in a black robe.

They looked for any hidden lights in/under the fairing - when they saw my blue chrome front turn signal bulbs they just about started doing back flips, the cuffs started clanking and the breathing got real heavy - until I demonstrated that they indeed flashed orange.

I felt like I was in the song "Alice's Restaurant" after Arlo got busted for dumping trash off a cliff.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #15 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Seer makes probably 90% of the police helmets, and with visor, is the most recognizable part of the [LEO] ensemble, in my opinon.

On the LT (Ocean Blue) with Motolights on, wearing a blue Olympic Wear Jacket, Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses (not mirrored), and my Seer 'Authentic Police Helmet', with the Wings/Bar/Shield Harley Davidson emblem mounting taped above the visor, CARS NEVER PULL OUT FROM SIDE STREETS! And are sometimes visibly PO'd as I drive by. Fun so far!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #16 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamaro
On the LT (Ocean Blue) with Motolights on, wearing a blue Olympic Wear Jacket, Ray Ban Aviator sunglasses (not mirrored), and my Seer 'Authentic Police Helmet', with the Wings/Bar/Shield Harley Davidson emblem mounting taped above the visor, CARS NEVER PULL OUT FROM SIDE STREETS! And are sometimes visibly PO'd as I drive by. Fun so far!
That's amazing. Kind of shoots a really big hole in the remark made by most drivers who hit a motorcyclist: "But I didn't even see him!". Sounds like they can see us, when they want to... or when they try harder.

Do you have a pic of this setup?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #17 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 8:26 am Thread Starter

I might be too embarrassed for a picture! But, it's all true. I posted something like this some time back and I think it was Ken Meese who commented back then (not sure, too lazy to look up the thread/post) that probably the threat/no-threat aspect of the motorcycle. When threatened, they see cycles, when not threatened, don't see us.

Of course the logic there is they see us all the time and when non-threatened, ignore us. I thought I was the only one to do this but see lots of HD riders (olde) in look-alike LEO garb.

Hmmmm, for around town riding, a white HD Road King, blue jodphur like pants, high boots, aviator sun glasses, etc. etc. Probably a safe, run some errands ensemble!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #18 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 9:39 am

Update -- Photo Attached

Quote:
I might be too embarrassed for a picture! But, it's all true. I posted something like this some time back and I think it was Ken Meese who commented back then (not sure, too lazy to look up the thread/post) that probably the threat/no-threat aspect of the motorcycle. When threatened, they see cycles, when not threatened, don't see us.

Of course the logic there is they see us all the time and when non-threatened, ignore us. I thought I was the only one to do this but see lots of HD riders (olde) in look-alike LEO garb.

Hmmmm, for around town riding, a white HD Road King, blue jodphur like pants, high boots, aviator sun glasses, etc. etc. Probably a safe, run some errands ensemble!
OK, I'll give you this one, then. Here's a pic of that bike at last month's IMS in Cleveland. I wasn't dressed as you describe, but this is the bike (OK, wrong color scheme). It sat in the middle of the H-D area of the show; a H-D rep came over and said I was the first person to hop on the bike and pose for a photo; he said everyone else gave it a wide berth! I thought that was funny. I had to crop out all the HD logo-wearing guys in the background in order to make the photo fit this site's file size limitation.
Attached Images

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]

Last edited by hschisler; Feb 10th, 2006 at 1:47 pm. Reason: updated
post #19 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 9:47 am Thread Starter

And I wanted to see the picture. C'mon, try again! BTW, look at my profile, see anything similar. Were you ever a pilot 'no joy'.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #20 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:00 am

Quote:
And I wanted to see the picture. C'mon, try again! BTW, look at my profile, see anything similar. Were you ever a pilot 'no joy'.
I've tried about 10 times -- literally. After I click on "upload the attachment" it goes out to Never Land. Other times I've done this without any problems. Anyone out there have a clue? I even tried simplifying the filename, thinking > 8 characters or special characters might cause problems. No luck.

IT business owner, eh? You probably saw I'm an IT consultant. I do PeopleSoft customization/development/support.

I did take ground school years ago (big deal), but have had only an amateur interest in aviation; grew up all over the world while my father was in the military, and was always around an airfield. Older brother is a retired USAF pilot and now flies for JetBlue. First time I heard the expression "no joy" was when I saw the movie "Top Gun".

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Ok, here come da man! Damn you look awfully good on that Road King! Switching sides?

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #22 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Sorry for doubting you! Must be something wrong going on the site. It appears to upload, but picture doesn't show. And I've done this many times. Will fool around with it!!!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #23 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Try And Try Again

Let's try again.

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #24 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 1:57 pm Thread Starter

Full Picture . . . I hope

Maybe this one will fit for all to see on your new steed!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newsheriff.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	314.1 KB
ID:	1912  

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #25 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 2:05 pm

Better Picture

Here's a better image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT2514.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1913  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #26 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 8:01 pm

No Radiator Vents In Fairing

Howdy All Y'all,

I'm very impressed with the new GT. I wonder though, with no side vents for the radiator. This thing may be a real "toaster". Remember the original K bikes!!??

I hope to ride one at Daytona Bikeweek. We'll see.

Don't ya just love how the LT gets rid of all the engine heat!
post #27 of 29 Old Feb 10th, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

With the 12S as really the infrastructure, owning one, I can tell you it's not a toaster. Sold my 12S for the upcoming GT. See ya in Daytona!

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)
post #28 of 29 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 5:35 pm
fas

Cool Gt Vs Lt

I sat on the new GT at the Cleveland show last week. Feels really good. Can't wait to ride it. I'm thinking about buying the GT if the ride is as good as I think it will be. I commute in Cleveland traffic on my LT and I am interested in getting the lighter and more powerful GT. I love the adjustable handle bars on the GT. The SO also was pleased with the set up. She likes being closer VS the LT where she is so far back. I am disappointed with the three color choices. I rode the K1200S and did not like it. The riding position is not comfortable for me.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #29 of 29 Old Feb 12th, 2006, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Lots of people seem interested on this site . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
I sat on the new GT at the Cleveland show last week. Feels really good. Can't wait to ride it. I'm thinking about buying the GT if the ride is as good as I think it will be. I commute in Cleveland traffic on my LT and I am interested in getting the lighter and more powerful GT. I love the adjustable handle bars on the GT. The SO also was pleased with the set up. She likes being closer VS the LT where she is so far back. I am disappointed with the three color choices. I rode the K1200S and did not like it. The riding position is not comfortable for me.
I just sold my S. S was a fun bike but not quite for me. I don't ride really hard and am looking for the niceties of the LT without the very big bike feel; Plus 152 Hp on a 550 lb bike as opposed to the 115 on my LT. let's face it, the LT is a hippo, but a very comfortable and enjoyable hippo!

I am damn excited about the GT. Probably not going to be as comfy as LT, but sure hope it's somewhere in the ballpark.
Regards,
John

John
Jacksonville, FL (USA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in