Newbie Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 3:47 am Thread Starter

Newbie Questions

Hi all,

I am to take delivery of a new '09 GT this coming weekend and on the way home I'm going to drop the Top Box off to be painted. Could someone tell me the color code for the Magnesium Beige or where to find it on the bike.

Also

I'm not very mechanically inclined but thanks to the Paul Sayegh videos and attending several tech sessions I learned to do the maintenance on my previous LT. After reading posts on this forum and others, it appears that servicing the GT is a bit more complicated. Haven't seen any mentioned but thought I'd ask, are there any instructional videos that someone has made that might help the want to be mechanic?

Thanks!
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 8:57 am

Re: Newbie Questions

Colorrite's site states that the code is N40, SKU/8420.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #3 of 5 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!!

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 8th, 2010, 1:13 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I'm not aware of any Slant/4 GT service videos yet.

Some service items are easier on the GT than they were on the LT, some are harder. But all are definitely doable for a home mechanic with decent skills and confidence.

Changing the air filter is easier, as there's no pulling the fuel tank to get to it. It sits behind a snorkel under the right fairing panel. Also, there's no fuel filter on the GT, so that saves some trouble as well.

Changing final drive oil on the '08 and up bikes is easy with the built-in drain plug. The '06-'07 GTs don't have this drain plug, so draining the FD oil requires unhooking the tension strut and rotating the FD down 90 degrees. A few folks have used small vacuum pumps instead.

Changing engine oil is a little bit more complicated because of the dry-sump engine. You have to snake down a small hose and let the sump drain out slowly. Again, some guys use a vacuum pump for this. The oil filter is accessible outside the engine (instead of under a cover like the LT), but you have to work behind the shifter and it's rotated 90 degrees so it's easy to spill onto the exhaust headers. Refilling requires putting in a bit over 3 quarts, running the engine briefly to circulate the oil through the block, then topping off. Also, its best to check the total level after the bike is warmed up and parked level.

There is no separate transmission housing, so no tranny oil to change.

Changing the plugs and checking/changing the valve clearances is more complicated simply because of where they are on the engine. You have to drain and pull the radiator so you can get the valve cover off. The 4 individual coils sit right on the plugs themselves and can be a slight pain to pop loose. There's also an air injection tube that can be stiff and could break easily if you're not careful. But the plugs last longer, so changes are less frequent.

Once the radiator is moved and the valve cover is off, checking valve lash is the same as on the LT (or any overhead cam engine). BMW's recommendation is to check them every 18K miles. Mine have never needed an adjustment up to 85K miles, but I wouldn't skip these checks as I have heard of a small handful of Slant/4 valves that did need to be adjusted. But for the vast majority of bikes it's just a check only.

After all that, you have to put the radiator back on. This does need to be vacuum filled, so again, that vacuum pump comes in handy. Its not a difficult process, if you take your time and do it well.

Other than that, it's just gas & tires, and the occasional final drive replacement.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 9th, 2010, 9:03 am Thread Starter

Thanks Ken!!

Very useful information!

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in