LT to GT What's your reason? Good call? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jan 18th, 2010, 12:34 pm Thread Starter

Question LT to GT What's your reason? Good call?

I have had and RS and a GT but while I was married my ex wouldn't get on the back so I got an LT and she loved it.

However, I'm single now and I'm not sure that my girlfriend will ride with me so I'm thinking about this completely based ME.

I have an 04 LT now with 30k... I like the wind protection. I like the sound system and space for farkles etc. It doesn't seem big to me though it is more to handle on steep slopes and soft ground but I don't think I loose much in the twisties. No it's not as fast in the straights but it is a nicer ride at 130+.

However I'm a 35 year old with the body and looks of a 25 year old and when people see me on it sometimes they laugh.... even the ladies... granted the older ladies especially enjoy the ride and some of the younger ones enjoy it too.... however If I had a smaller more nimble bike I would be more likely to jump on it for a short ride around town. Sometimes regardless of how much I like the bike, It's too grandpa for me.

However, for longer rides I'm glad I have it. I have thought about going back down to a GT or keeping it and maybe adding a used cbr1000 or vfr for shorter rides. Any other suggestions.... If I went this way I would want to buy something in the under 5k used price range. I can't see myself going back to a GT and paying more and having to start the farkles all over again.

I'm sure there are some out there who have made this transition from LT to GT. I'm just wondering what the reason was and how happy you are with your decision.

Ghaison (Jason)
99 K1200RS Silver and Blue (Sold!)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.
-some guy named Ghaison circa 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 7:08 am

Re: LT to GT What's your reason? Good call?

I jumped off the LT because I did very little 2 up riding. The GT is great for me on long trips and it is a fair 2 up bike, just not quite the passenger comfort of the LT. The weight reduction and power were a couple of other reasons for moving from the LT to the GT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #3 of 24 Old Jan 19th, 2010, 1:05 pm
Super Moderator

Had 3 LTs and have had 2 GTs so far. I moved for more power, better handling, lighter weight, newer technology, and a more nimble/fun bike overall that better suited my hooligan needs while still letting me swallow large expanses of road when necessary. The GT fits the bill very well.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 24 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 9:19 am
CWF

Power. Pure and Simple. Power.

I like it that when I twist the wick not much can beat me when I'm on the GT.

But I didn't want power so much that I was willing to go to a sport bike.

GT is the best of both worlds for me.

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #5 of 24 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 9:20 am
CWF

Man I gotta change my sig line. Had the GT now since May of 09.

Curtis
2006 K1200GT
post #6 of 24 Old Jan 20th, 2010, 8:25 pm

The GT is a 1/2 way house between a sport bike and a luxury tourer. It is the best compromise between the two you can own.
post #7 of 24 Old Jan 21st, 2010, 5:18 pm

I think you should get one of those mopeds!
It takes a real man to ride one of them!

Does BMW make a moped?
post #8 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrovarious

"...I'm a 35 year old with the body and looks of a 25 year old..."

Why do you have a picture of someone else on your avatar? Or am I missing something?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:49 am

Jack!
post #10 of 24 Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:54 am
Bouncer

Two reasons to go LT instead of GT:

1) if you do a lot of two up traveling. Nothing, not even the GL1800 beats the rear seat comfort of the LT.

2) if the GT's Marquis de Sade seat isn't to your liking, yet you want the luxobarge features.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #11 of 24 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:01 am

I had a LT when riding 2 up, loved it and so did the wife. When she wanted her own bike I went to the R1200RT for solo riding and less weight. Although it was a fantastic bike I missed the 4 cylinder. I then went with the GT and love it. With a aftermarket seat it is actually more comfortable than the LT for me. I have trouble with my shoulders and the GT with the bars all the way up doesn't bother them. No regrets here.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue

2008 F800ST Blue (Hers)
2006 R1200RT Red (Traded)
1999 K1200LT Champaign (Sold)
1985 K100LT Baja Red (Sold and
)
post #12 of 24 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 4:58 pm
fas

Talking Re: LT to GT What's your reason? Good call?

Ghaison,

Loved my LT. Preferred the GT. More nimble in urban settings and faster. Ideal weapon for avoiding the cell phono cagers. GT has all the storage of an LT, yet is 200# less fat. I am shopping for the new GT now. This will be my third BMW bike. Good luck with your decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002_24_1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	547.7 KB
ID:	26036  

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #13 of 24 Old Jan 24th, 2010, 9:50 pm

Vanity?
Grandpa on the LT
If your looking to impress the ladies, buy a RR
If you want the ladies to be cozy, stick with the LT
If you want the ladies to be impressively cozy buy the GT
Put the detachable 49 litre topcase on the GT for 2 up comfort and touring
and take them all off for rippin, can't do that with the LT
Who knows maybe the "new" LT will kick everyones butt

Good Luck

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #14 of 24 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 10:03 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Why do you have a picture of someone else on your avatar? Or am I missing something?
That.... is awesome
In all fairness though.... I looked like that when I was 25 so maybe I was a 25yo with the looks and body of a 35yo
I don't mean to say I own or have ever owned a bike for or to impress anyone, I just enjoy them..... but I walk out to the LT and feel old sometimes.... surely some of you truly old guys can say that walking out to your GT makes you feel younger?
Jack?
You know I love you all right.... you've been like fathers to me over the years .... some have been like grandfathers too... ok back to work.

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA
Sometimes you can get so fixated on the fact that you are right that you lose sight of the reality that it doesn't matter.

post #15 of 24 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 5:59 pm

You know why u feel old when u walk out to your LT?
Cause "it" is old, not to say its bad but, same basic look
for what? 11 years now, and yes the GT makes me feel younger
cause? "it" is newer

08 K1200GT
08 F800S
00 K1200LT
post #16 of 24 Old Jan 25th, 2010, 6:08 pm

... no more LT's?

No guarantee the 6 cyl. will be in same "luxury" class..
post #17 of 24 Old Jan 26th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Smile Re: LT to GT What's your reason? Good call?

Sticking with my LT for now cause if "Momma ain't happy ain't nobody happy" and trips are much more fun when she is happy.
post #18 of 24 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 4:07 am

Wink Re: LT to GT What's your reason? Good call?

These poor unloved LTs. Those riders who once sang the praises of the Light Truck are being seduced away, one by one, first by the K1200GT and now by the siren song of the K1300GT.

Well, gentlemen, I say, "Forget not the K-bike of your youth". The LT is just as much fun and useful now as the day I bought it. There is something special about maintaining a long term relationship, cherishing memories of past adventures while seeking new ones. I figured out there's a second bike hiding inside the LT that comes out above 5000 rpms! Plus, on a pragmatic and frugal note (how timely is that?), my well-used LT is paid for, and taxes and insurance are much less than I would pay on a newer K-bike (and I don't believe BMW anyway-that new engine is not a brick so it's not a "real" K-bike-so take that). I am going to keep riding my LT. Last Saturday I took it for a ride and got a beep-and-thumbs-up from an SUV driver and a pitiful longing look of admiration from a cruiser rider at the local Victory dealership (poor guy looked like he was half frozen after riding in on his unfaired custom V-twin; I almost offered him my Gerbings liner. Almost).

I know not what others will do, but for me and my house (well, they have to take turns of course), we will ride the LT. The "splitters" on this list (like Joe, and Cowboy Bob, and Jack) notwithstanding.

[Tick, tick, tick]

Doggone it, those GTs are awesome. I want a BLUE one! They are so smooth, and way fast, and so light compared to my porky LT.
post #19 of 24 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 10:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
These poor unloved LTs. Those riders who once sang the praises of the Light Truck are being seduced away, one by one, first by the K1200GT and now by the siren song of the K1300GT.
This is what happens when you fall in love with it/someone, and some time later appears another model that is faster and slimmer.
What is a man to do...?
For now I will stick with my LT, at least until it is paid off and the extended warranty runs out.
Besides... Kathy sat on the back of the RT and the GT and it appears that some modifications will be required for her to be comfortable with her 5'9" body. So it won't be an easy sale...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #20 of 24 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 2:04 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Easy. I simply outgrew it.

I really enjoyed the 125K miles I put on two LTs, and it's still the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden - solo or two-up. But I got to the point where almost every fun ride had me pushing the LT's limits - lots of full throttle acceleration while hoping for just a bit more, and lots of hard-on-the-brakes-man-this-thing-is-heavy moments as I tipped her into the next set of corners. Once you've ground the foot pegs and lower fairing away and you're still reaching for more lean angle, more power, and more everything else, then its time to move on.

The real downfall was taking the LT on a track day. I know it's not meant for such things, and the LT did very well overall, but it really pointed out that the bike was limiting my ride more than I was.

Enter the K12GT - 200 lbs lighter, 50% more horsepower, much improved suspension, and even more carrying capacity if you add the 49L trunk. It did require a few ergonomic tweaks and even with those it's only about 90% as comfy as the LT was, but it simply does everything else so much better.

Yeah, I miss the LT sometimes, but the GT just does all I ask of it and more, so I'm happy with my switch.

At least until they come out with a new Slant/6 K1600RT, that is.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #21 of 24 Old Jan 27th, 2010, 2:51 pm

I really never felt old riding my LT but I have not been 25 for a long time now :-)
I came to the LT from V4 Honda's (Honda 1998 VFR that I sold and a 1985 Honda Magna which I restored and still own). So I do sometime wish that LT had more punch. However it is such a great bike to ride otherwise that I am thinking about maybe getting myself a third bike like a sport or sport touring for the fun of it and keep the LT.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #22 of 24 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 1:57 pm

Having made the transaction from a 07 GT to 04 LT, I don't regret my decision in the least bit. The Lt is smooth, comfortable and nimble enough. I drove my GT cross country and the motor is astonishing and the attachable trunk piece is nice, but overall comfort is the LT.
I have found that ladies like to ride....if they are interested
keep the LT!

----------------------------------------
03 K1200RS-past
07 K1200GT-past
04 K1200LT-present
post #23 of 24 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 3:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrdr
Having made the transaction from a 07 GT to 04 LT, I don't regret my decision in the least bit. The Lt is smooth, comfortable and nimble enough. I drove my GT cross country and the motor is astonishing and the attachable trunk piece is nice, but overall comfort is the LT.
I have found that ladies like to ride....if they are interested
keep the LT!

----------------------------------------
03 K1200RS-past
07 K1200GT-past
04 K1200LT-present
That has been my experience as well.... they may not be blown away at first glance but after riding it they can't stop talking about it!

Ghaison (Jason)
2004 K1200LT FOR SALE!!!
Bluefield, VA

post #24 of 24 Old Jan 28th, 2010, 3:45 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrdr
The LT is smooth, comfortable and nimble enough.
And that says it all. If the LT is nimble enough for you, then it's a great bike, for you. For some of us though, it just wasn't quite enough . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in