1200 / 1300gt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 1:33 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

1200 / 1300gt

I am interested to know opinions on Corbin Seats for the slant 4 GT. Is the comfort worth the $1000 for a set of seats? There has been plenty of complaints on the stock seat and am considering the Corbin.
Thanks, McWideglide

PS Happy New Years to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 3:17 pm

Re: 1200 / 1300gt

I, personally, wouldn't consider anything but a Rick Mayer seat. He's up in Anderson and will build a seat to fit you and your riding style. Ride it, if you don't like it, he'll adjust it. A great guy!

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

Worth every penny over the crappy stock seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rick Mayer seat_1_1.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	25778  

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #3 of 10 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 7:50 pm
Gold Supporter

Seats are kind of like anything else when it comes to comfort. One man's treasure...

If you like a firm seat you will love the Corbin, but just know you have to allow a couple K miles before it is broken in and that first 1500 miles are down right painful at times, but nothing compared to the stock seats.

I have had Corbins on my last eight bikes and love them. I considered a switch to the Komfort seat awhile back based on recommendations for a lot of friends here, and now that he makes a "Big Boy" seat I may have to look into it when ever I get my HD sold and my tushe back on something.

Set on some if you can. Every one has their own opinion.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jan 3rd, 2010, 5:18 pm

I added a Corbin seat within the first week of owning the GT.I kept sliding backwards on accelerating.I went with the Corbin low seat and smuggler as wife has her own and I never ride two up.With the smuggler you get a small back rest that really helps.I had them make my seat a little softer than they normally make them as I also had a corbin on my LT>You will want to deal with Julio,he is great.
post #5 of 10 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 6:37 pm
fas

My brother in law has a Corbin on his R. Loves it.

I was happy with the factory seat and the Alaska butt pad. Used the butt pad on my LT & GT. It is a whole lot cheaper than Corbin.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #6 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 10:39 am

Corbin's definition of "firm" equals "rock hard" to most and their customer service, if it can be called that, is abysmal. Corbin makes a top quality product and, consequently, you'll likely never have to ever deal with them, but if you're unfortunate enough to run into a problem with one of their seats, don't count on any help or support from them.

Steve
NJ State Trooper #3936 (retired 4-1-1991)
2011 F800GS - Alpine White
2009 R1200RT - sapphire black metallic (sold)

post #7 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 10:50 am

Corbin's just a name anymore. I had always bought Corbin saddles until I tried a Rick Mayer.

The hardness in a Corbin seat comes from their leather. They use what I would describe as a "belt" leather. Very hard. They silicone the seat heavily making it waterproof, but very slippery.

Rick Mayer uses almost a glove leather. Very supple and soft, but the seat itself (the padding) is firm.

No comparison in quality or service. You deal with Rick and Rick alone.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #8 of 10 Old Jan 5th, 2010, 7:36 pm

Corbin seats feel like iron. I have owned a Russell a Bill Meyer and Rick Meyer seat. All three of them are light years ahead of Corbin in fit and comfort.
post #9 of 10 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 11:10 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
Seats are kind of like anything else when it comes to comfort. One man's treasure...

If you like a firm seat you will love the Corbin, but just know you have to allow a couple K miles before it is broken in and that first 1500 miles are down right painful at times, but nothing compared to the stock seats.

I have had Corbins on my last eight bikes and love them. I considered a switch to the Komfort seat awhile back based on recommendations for a lot of friends here, and now that he makes a "Big Boy" seat I may have to look into it when ever I get my HD sold and my tushe back on something.

Set on some if you can. Every one has their own opinion.
In response to your signature, A guardian spirit.

Wayne

2006 K1200GT Blue

2008 F800ST Blue (Hers)
2006 R1200RT Red (Traded)
1999 K1200LT Champaign (Sold)
1985 K100LT Baja Red (Sold and
)
post #10 of 10 Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 5:59 pm

Re: 1200 / 1300gt corbin seats

Hello to all,

I have two sets of leather corbin seats, one set is heated and one set non-heated for the K1200GT and K1300GT that I would like to sell.
Also, I have one backrest, fits either set.
I would sell the heated seats (front and rear) for $600.
I would sell the non-heated seats (front and rear) for $400.
I would sell the backrest for $100.

I might be interested to trade one set for a 49L topcase; prefer it to be painted blue to match 2007 K1200GT.

You can PM me if interested or e-mail me at [email protected].
Thanks, Rodney

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in