04 vs 07 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

04 vs 07

I am looking at a two K1200GTs both are in excellent condition. While I have been riding for 40 year (currently riding a VStrom 1000) this will be my first BMW. The 07 is $2,500 more and has twice the miles.

2004, Very Sweet Red, 8965 miles, loaded with Heated Seat, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Wunderlich Tank Bag, Aeroflow screen

2007, Gray\Silver, 1760 miles, ESA, BMW Top Case

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Dec 25th, 2009, 11:10 pm
Super Moderator

Re: 04 vs 07

They are two completely different bikes. The 04 is on the older "flying brick" platform where the 07 is on the latest K "slant-4" motor. I have owned both platforms and have enjoyed them both, but the 07 if a lighter, smoother, more powerful machine. That's where I'd be spending my money. If you can test ride both and see which feels best to you.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Dec 26th, 2009, 10:50 am
Cat Herder

Neither one is broken in yet. You can't go wrong with either one.

post #4 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 6:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalenwp
I am looking at a two K1200GTs both are in excellent condition. While I have been riding for 40 year (currently riding a VStrom 1000) this will be my first BMW. The 07 is $2,500 more and has twice the miles.

2004, Very Sweet Red, 8965 miles, loaded with Heated Seat, Heated Grips, Cruise Control, Wunderlich Tank Bag, Aeroflow screen

2007, Gray\Silver, 1760 miles, ESA, BMW Top Case

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Both David and Andy are right. Depending on when the 2007 was originally purchased, it may have a few months of the original warranty left. (... and if there is warranty left, you may be able to pick up an inexpensive extended warranty if you wish.)

I own a 2007 and have never ridden the 2004, but the 2007 seems like the better deal. Many of the parts on the 2007 are still in common with the current 2010 GT model.
post #5 of 6 Old Dec 27th, 2009, 8:36 am

Let me add my $.02 worth as I was faced with this very same choice. A fantastic 2003 KGT, 18K miles, perfect and fully farkled or a 2007 K1200GT, 35K miles, Xtnded Warranty, fully loaded and farkled, and full maintenance just done (new tires, new brakes, new Air Cleaner, all fluids, etc.). I chose the 2007.

Why? As was said above, they both are great, but the new one is lighter, quicker, has non servo brakes,and feels a good bit more "comfortable"for my body shape and size in terms of fit over a long day/distance. Can't back that up yet as I have ridden neither one further than 80 miles at a stretch!

They both are great and I think the "brick" will be looked at as a classic, and the end of an era of a premium, long distance bike that is still more mechanical than "electronic".

Good luck with your choice. Both will be excellent and lots of fun.

Steve
NE Florida
post #6 of 6 Old Dec 31st, 2009, 6:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy
Neither one is broken in yet. You can't go wrong with either one.
Apart from far higher running costs on the 04 to the 07.

Cam chain tensioners at 36k, each service costing much more - all for 22bhp less power than the 07, smaller tank on the 04...

I know where I'd put my money - oh, I did - I bought a slant GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in