K1300GT Charging - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

K1300GT Charging

Hi All,
When i had my 1200RT i connected a socket direct to the battery terminals (fused) and charged with my Optimate 3 with no problems. I now have a 1300GT and according to the manual, charging direct to the terminals without disconnecting the battery first will/could damage the electronics. Question: is this right OR are BMW just trying to get me to purchase another charger. I have a BMW charger for Canbus but use it on the other halfs F800st. Your thoughts would be most appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 12:52 pm

Re: K1300GT Charging

I replaced my OEM battery with and Odyssey and wired in another port.

The CANBUS on these bikes, with the OEM port, have to recognize the charger. You plug the (correct and expensive BMW charger) into the port, plug it in, turn on the bike, wait till it goes thru diagnostics and then turn it off. THE CANBUS is then activated thru the ZFE (replaced the fuseblock) and charging is then permitted. Fun, huh?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 3:32 pm

The book says you must disconnect the battery if you want to charge direct to the battery but I think and have been told that is rubbish as long as you keep the ignition switch off while charging. I hooked up a direct connection to the battery with my 2007 GT and no problems.

Tom "Hoop" Hooper
"All who wander are not necessarily lost"

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop
The book says you must disconnect the battery if you want to charge direct to the battery but I think and have been told that is rubbish as long as you keep the ignition switch off while charging. I hooked up a direct connection to the battery with my 2007 GT and no problems.
Si. There does have to be a road for the electrons to move down and that road is blocked if the key is off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:10 am
RCD

I have a Deltran Battery Tender. When I asked the question of my local BMW dealership the answer was yes, you can charge directly to the battery. I suspect Hoop is right about the ignition. You certainly don't want to turn it on while connected to the charger.

Just my opinion.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Hi All,
Thanks for the input, i have added a socket to the K1300Gt and connected direct to the battery terminals. The charger went through its cycle and i have all green lights. The bike electronics seem fine, so no need for expensive BMW charger..... friend did say BMW stood for....BLOWS MY WALLET
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 12:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acko
Hi All,
Thanks for the input, i have added a socket to the K1300Gt and connected direct to the battery terminals. The charger went through its cycle and i have all green lights. The bike electronics seem fine, so no need for expensive BMW charger..... friend did say BMW stood for....BLOWS MY WALLET
I use a Battery Tender Jr. wired direct to the battery. If 3/4s of an amp hurts the electrics on this bike then I made the wrong decision and need to go back to the more substantial Harleys (not that I ever fully left). I think the statement this would hurt the electronics is BS and agree with the Blows My Wallet quote. You get much more of a variance in amps with the charging system on the bike.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:43 pm

The problem with using a regular battery charger on the new OEM batteries is they are AGM, require different charging cycles and voltages to keep them alive and desulfated. Thus, the expensive charger. I also found the OEM battery not to have enough guts to spin the GT at times.

Odyssey baby!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:58 pm

Santa is bringing me a Battery Tender for Gel type batteries should do the trick

2016 BMW R1200 RT LC
2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversrio
BMW MOA # 146446
IBA #33267
Beer is PROOF God loves us and wants us to be happy
Days an months are travelers of eternity, So to the years that pass by.
“ the journey is the destination “

post #10 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 12:13 pm

When I traded the 06 for the 09 gt the BMW mech. hooked the pig tails for the charger
directly to the battery so its ok and I keep it on the charger when not riding
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 6th, 2009, 5:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I went through all the same questions two months ago when I got my 1300GT. I saw the charger BMW recommends. I also have three battery tender plus' in the Hog Pen. I also read that Deltrans Co is the official charger manufacturing company for Harley and BMW. Looking closely at the Tender Plus' they look identical to the BMW charger except for the paper label. This prompted me to call Deltran manufacturing to see if they could tell me the real story. This is what they told me. The main difference is the charge rate / voltage of the charger.The later model BMW's use a Gel battery. They need to be charged at a lower rate and voltage. The Electronics on the new BMW's don't like the higher voltage output of a traditional charter. Detrans does sell a Battery Tender Plus for Gell batteries. They gave me a specific number and I purchased mine on Amazon for 49.99. The charger has a label "this charger has been programmed for Gel Batteries" There is no way I will not heed this warning about chargers . Too cheap / too expensive of a repair. #021-0156 Amazon.
So that is my story, and I am sticking to it!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in