Autocom install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 9:34 pm Thread Starter

Autocom install

I just purchased a 2007 GT and want any advice on how and where to install my autocom system.
Thanks

Tom "Hoop" Hooper
"All who wander are not necessarily lost"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 6:13 am

Re: Autocom install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop
I just purchased a 2007 GT and want any advice on how and where to install my autocom system.
Thanks
Me Too, I started looking yesterday for my autocom. so far I have it velcroed under the rear seat left side to the body panel between the frame rails. Where does everyone have their helmet connector come out? Just under the seat or do you put a extension on and run it to the front and out up by the bars?

I am also looking for ways to hook up my Gerbing controller

Steve
DFW
'02' F650GS Dakar
'06' K1200GT Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Motorcycle Road Show
post #3 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 6:54 am

Garage

I installed the Autocom on my 08 GT under the rear seat. Since my bike has the TPM, there is an addition electronics box which made the install a bit tight, but it fits fine. I used the old standby - Velcro - to hold it in place. No issues with placement in last 10K miles.

Power comes from an AP-2 which is installed on top of the battery with the wires running between the fairing and tank. Running the wires under the tank makes them more susceptible to electronic noise.

post #4 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgmanley
I installed the Autocom on my 08 GT under the rear seat. Since my bike has the TPM, there is an addition electronics box which made the install a bit tight, but it fits fine. I used the old standby - Velcro - to hold it in place. No issues with placement in last 10K miles.

Power comes from an AP-2 which is installed on top of the battery with the wires running between the fairing and tank. Running the wires under the tank makes them more susceptible to electronic noise.
The next time you get around to it, posting a few photos would be helpful for the rest of us. I didn't realize that there is still room above the TPM unit.
post #5 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Super Moderator

A good location for the unit is underneath the rear seat.
there is a little void there with 3 mounting points for something, but the space is unused. I got a piece of 1/8 inch plastic from TAP Plastics cut something to about 3x5 inches and used supervelcro to mount it to those 3 points. Velcrod the autocom unit to the plastic plate with regular velcro and ten ran the wires where they needed to go. There is a lot of space in the tail section to tuck away excess wires, unused connectors, etc., as well.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 9:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. I plan to install my Zumo and Autocom this weekend.I will post photos when done.

Tom "Hoop" Hooper
"All who wander are not necessarily lost"
post #7 of 7 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Here is where mine is for now, looking straight down it is hard to even see

Steve
DFW
'02' F650GS Dakar
'06' K1200GT Blue

Motorcycle Road Show

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in