Shifting Problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Oct 18th, 2009, 8:59 pm Thread Starter

Question Shifting Problem

I rode my GT for the first time today, after having the 6K service. Everything was fine for the first 15 miles, then it would not shift out of 2nd. It would downshift into first and back into second, but didn't want to shift out of second. After slowing down, speeding up, back and forth in second, it finally shifted into third. It did this two or three more times in second, then it started not wanting to shift out of third. Same thing. back and forth, speed up and down, then it would shift into 4th. No gear grinding or other noises, it just felt rock hard when trying to up shift and would not budge. It did this is third gear two- three more times, then once again in second, then shifted fine for awhile. Then the same thing happened in 4th gear one time. It shifted OK and normally for the next 5-8 shifts from a stop on the way home. Anyone have any idea what's going on. This is the first time it's ever done anything like this.

I swear, with the venting problem too, I'm beginning to think this bike is haunted.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by REWDOC; Oct 18th, 2009 at 9:06 pm. Reason: word correction
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 11:44 am
fas

Re: Shifting Problem

Very interesting. It is close to SPOOK SEASON, maybe the haunting should be intensifying! Keep us posted on the outcome. Sounds like the boys may have dropped it in the shop?

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 29 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 12:56 pm

It would be worth looking at the gear change linkage. I think there are 2 ball type joints that fit into cups on either end of a link from the lever. the plastic in the cups can melt and/or sieze to give trouble like you describe. I have heard of this a couple of times recently but usually linked to UK bikes and winter grime.

post #4 of 29 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

I talked with BMW ATL service manager today and he didn't have any idea why it would do that. He didn't think it was the clutch or the linkage. He asked me if I had done anything different. I told him I bought a new pair of boots when I picked the bike up and I was riding it with my new boots. He told me to try it with my old boots! If it kept doing it, I'd have to bring it back up there. I really do think this bike has a poltergeist. Sheeeeeeeez.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #5 of 29 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Enjoy The Ride

On my LT I had to adjust the shift linkage when I got my new boots. It wouldn't shift into third.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 29 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 7:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
On my LT I had to adjust the shift linkage when I got my new boots. It wouldn't shift into third.
Weird as it sound, it could be the problem. I will not get a chance to ride until Saturday, but I'll ride with my old boots and see. If it shifts fine, I'll try the new boots again to see what happens.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 29 Old Oct 20th, 2009, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

Several people on the K-bike site said that they had trouble with their shifter after buying bulkier boots. One said that adding the shifter extension from Pirate's Liar solved the problem.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #8 of 29 Old Oct 21st, 2009, 5:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
Several people on the K-bike site said that they had trouble with their shifter after buying bulkier boots. One said that adding the shifter extension from Pirate's Liar solved the problem.
Doc the bulky boots keep the shifter preloaded. It needs to return . . Try upshifting remove foot off the peg and shift again.
I would raise the shift lever also, parallel with the peg.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #9 of 29 Old Oct 21st, 2009, 8:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Doc the bulky boots keep the shifter preloaded. It needs to return . . Try upshifting remove foot off the peg and shift again.
I would raise the shift lever also, parallel with the peg.
Thanks. I don't think the lever is adjustable, but I did order the shift lever extension from Pirate's Liar.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #10 of 29 Old Oct 21st, 2009, 10:49 am

Quote:
Thanks. I don't think the lever is adjustable, but I did order the shift lever extension from Pirate's Liar.
Dick, the lever is adjustable and easily so. Take a look at the left side of your bike. The long horizontal rod that attaches to the shifter is where you adjust things.

I just went out to look at my bike in the garage and the adjusting rod is black and about 6" in length. At each end is a nut. Loosen both nuts (top & bottom) and then spin the rod back and forth. The shifter moves up and down. Get it where you want it with your new boots and then snug the two nuts back down. Easy!

Give it a try and report back. This is one of those things you can't mess up!

David
post #11 of 29 Old Oct 21st, 2009, 11:34 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Dick, the lever is adjustable and easily so. Take a look at the left side of your bike. The long horizontal rod that attaches to the shifter is where you adjust things.

I just went out to look at my bike in the garage and the adjusting rod is black and about 6" in length. At each end is a nut. Loosen both nuts (top & bottom) and then spin the rod back and forth. The shifter moves up and down. Get it where you want it with your new boots and then snug the two nuts back down. Easy!

Give it a try and report back. This is one of those things you can't mess up!

David
Thanks for the info David. I'll take a look at it tonight.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #12 of 29 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

Re: Shifting Problem - I wouldn't have believed it!

Well, I purchased the shift extension from Pirate's Liar and tried out my new boots again, tonight. Same thing, locks up in different gears during the upshifts. Damn, @#$%%, etc.

I took the extension off, put on my old boots and went for a ride. Shifted like butter and silk. Not a single problem with any shift. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT!

Now, if I can only get them to give me my money back on the new boots!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #13 of 29 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 6:32 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Told you it was the new boots.

If you like the new boots otherwise, then adjusting the shift linkage is a simple solution. You could then try the extension out again as well and see if it helps. All it takes is a couple of wrenches, and some more test rides . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 29 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Told you it was the new boots.

If you like the new boots otherwise, then adjusting the shift linkage is a simple solution. You could then try the extension out again as well and see if it helps. All it takes is a couple of wrenches, and some more test rides . . .
You were absolutely right, Ken.

I do like the new boots, however. They are waterproof TCX boots and are probably 3/4" thicker in the mid-foot (where the shift pad is) than my old CruiseWorks boots and have a much ticker toe. They offer much more protection than the CruiseWorks, but have a rubber treaded material for the shift pad which may be part of the problem because it allows very little slippage of the shifter on the boot. Actually, I think the shift extension made it worse because it is aluminum with a cross pattern allowing even less slippage on the boot. If the shift lever rolled like it does on some other bikes, I don't think I'd have a problem.

I've looked at the linkage and am not sure how much adjustment there is. It looks like to me I need to raise the shift lever upward at least one inch. Do I just loosen the small nuts on each end, then turn the rod one way or the other until the shift lever starts to rise, then tighten the nuts back down? Looks like that's how it should work to me. I never had to adjust the linkage on this bike or my LT before.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #15 of 29 Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Yep, seen it before with other folks.

Quote:
Do I just loosen the small nuts on each end, then turn the rod one way or the other until the shift lever starts to rise, then tighten the nuts back down?
Yep, that should do it. Be aware that one of the nuts is backwards-threads (which is what allows the rod to simply twist and shorten/lengthen the overall height). So loosen them carefully until you figure out which one is which.

Also, a little adjustment can make a big difference. You may not need a full inch of shifter movement to make it all work better. Again, it's an easy enough change so you can try it several ways until you're happy with it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 29 Old Oct 24th, 2009, 9:36 am

Quote:
Be aware that one of the nuts is backwards-threads...
Or "left-handed" threads.
post #17 of 29 Old Oct 24th, 2009, 10:02 am

I prefer to ride with my HD boots. When I do, I have to be aware of the left foot not preloading the shifter, otherwise, i have the same issue you have/had.

2008 K1200GT
2007 H-D deluxe
1983 Kawasaki K1000R ELR

1978 Kawasaki Z1R TC

post #18 of 29 Old Oct 24th, 2009, 1:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2
Or "left-handed" threads.
Whatta you know, Ol' Joe still exists.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #19 of 29 Old Oct 24th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Quote:
Be aware that one of the nuts is backwards-threads (which is what allows the rod to simply twist and shorten/lengthen the overall height). So loosen them carefully until you figure out which one is which.

Also, a little adjustment can make a big difference. You may not need a full inch of shifter movement to make it all work better. Again, it's an easy enough change so you can try it several ways until you're happy with it.
Dick, this is exactly what I've been saying here as well as on K-Bikes. Almost reminds me of my wife - that is, I can vehemently present the most logical opinion or idea but it's only embraced when she hears it from a third party. Go figure. At least The Great Ken Meese is the one corroborating this information.

Just went out to the garage once again to make sure my facts are correct. Grab an open end 10mm wrench and look for the 6" black horizontal rod that attaches to your shifter on the left side of the bike. There's a nut at the top of the rod and at the bottom. As Ken and Messenger13 (v2) mentioned, one of the nuts is left-hand threaded so go slowly. Loosen both nuts a few turns and then spin the rod back and forth. The shifter easily moves up and down for your custom adjustment. Voila!

This couldn't be easier. No Tupperware to remove. No hot fluids to deal with. No polarity issues. No valve adjustments. No special tools needed. About the simplest thing you can do to the GT except for turning the key and riding off.

And keep the Pirates' Lair shift lever extension on there for a few months before you decide to trash it. In no time you'll get used to it as it allows you to have the toe of your boot in less than ideal positions and still knock out a perfect shift.

Hey, if you and I were neighbors this shifter adjustment would have been done by now!

Enjoy,

David
post #20 of 29 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=dpancerz]Dick, this is exactly what I've been saying here as well as on K-Bikes. Almost reminds me of my wife - that is, I can vehemently present the most logical opinion or idea but it's only embraced when she hears it from a third party. Go figure. At least The Great Ken Meese is the one corroborating this information.
QUOTE]

Hi David:

I believed you, I just didn't want to mess with it until after this weekend, as my company was sponsoring a 100 mile bicycle ride and I was in charge of the motorcycle patrol that was looking out for their safety. I just didn't want something to happen that would keep me from rifding. I know it's simple and I've been looking at the linkage. Meese did teach me about the one left handed thread. I've been really busy after the ride but plan to play with it one night this week to see if I can make it work with the new boots.

By the way, I rode about 200 miles yesterday averaging about 20 mph following bicycles. Many many shift without problems using my old boots. The two top finishers rode the 100 mile course, mostly hills and steep inclines with flats along the way, in 4 hours and 52 minutes (20.5 mph average for the trip). I gotta tell yah, those guys were mean machines. They didn't stop once during the 100 miles and never missed a beat. AMAZING!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #21 of 29 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Re: Shifting Problem- So easy a Caveman can do it!

Thanks David and Ken:

Boy do I feel stupid, not fixing this before now. After my last post, I thought, Hell I've got 30 min of daylight left, I'll just go do it now. 12mm wrench on the big nut, 10 mm on little nut and no problem. Except the rod was stuck in the in the lower ball joint and wouldn't move. Then I notice the flat spot on the linkage rod and with a 1/4" wrench it broke lose easily. I then raised the shift lever about an inch, put on my new boots and off I went. It now shifts better than it ever did before, even with my old boots. It probably needed adjusting anyway. Took less than 5 minutes total to fix it.

I've gone out to do relatively simple things before and things go wrong (breaking off bolts, etc.) making the problem worse and longer to fix, but this one is just plain simple.

Now the question is: Will my old boots work?

I am a little mifted that the service manager didn't just say: "Oh not a problem, you just need to adjust the shift linkage and this is how you do it." Instead, I got: "I can't believe anything is wrong with the shifter after we just service the bike and test road it".

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Last edited by REWDOC; Oct 25th, 2009 at 6:14 pm.
post #22 of 29 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 8:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Do you remember whether the large nut or small nut had the left-handed threads? That's good info to document . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #23 of 29 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Do you remember whether the large nut or small nut had the left-handed threads? That's good info to document . . .
The large nut (12 mm) is the lower square part of the cup housing. It doesn't move, but keeps the cup from moving while turning the 10 mm nut on the linkage shaft. I had to roll the rubber cover up to expose the 12 mm nut.

On my bike the left-handed 10 mm nut was on the bottom of the linkage. I guess it could be either one, depending on which way the linkage was put on to the two balls (could be installed upside down from the way mine is now). Anyway, it wasn't really a problem since each of the 10 mm nuts un-tightened easily and did not require much force to loosen them.

Before I adjusted it, there was a lot of play in the linkage. It actually wobbled on either end while playing with the shifter and seem to have slack in it. After adjusting it, the linkage had almost no play (wobble) in it and no slack. The clunky shifting which has been present since new was also gone. It feels rock solid now and shifts much better.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #24 of 29 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 10:45 am

Told you it was just about the easiest adjustment you'll ever have to do to the GT. I was lazy when I did mine and just held the adjusting shaft between my fingers while using a 10mm to loosen the nuts top & bottom. I got a kick out of spinning the shaft and seeing the shifter go up & down. Quite a lot of play so each rider can adjust the shifter to their own personal preference.

Before getting a motorcycle I was and still am an avid cyclist. Each year my biggest ride is a century in Wichita Falls, Texas called Hotter Than Hell. It's scheduled for the last weekend in August where the temps are usually on the warm side. Hence the name of the race. I've seen countless riders pass out due to the heat which can be a factor if you don't train for it. Hundreds of people volunteer from the medical staff to the folks at the rest stops handing out food & fluids and of course the guys patrolling the route on motorcycles. I always see countless Gold Wings & Harleys and very few BMWs. Still, you folks provide an invaluable service and we thank you for it.

Dick, I think the next maintenance issue you must tackle should either be a valve adjustment or changing out the OEM clutch for a slipper clutch. Are you on board?

Ride safely,

David

Last edited by dpancerz; Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:08 pm.
post #25 of 29 Old Oct 27th, 2009, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz

Dick, I think the next maintenance issue you must tackle should either be a valve adjustment or changing out the OEM clutch for a slipper clutch. Are you on board?

Ride safely,

David
Actually, I did do some of the valve checks on my LT, but don't think I'll tackle it on the GT.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #26 of 29 Old Oct 29th, 2009, 11:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

I have figured out how to adjust every shift and brake lever on every bike I have owned. It depends on what kind of shoe you wear. With or without heals. It makes about an inch of difference and mile of cure. I adjusted the K1300 a few weeks ago , it makes a difference in timing during the shift. It does make all the difference in the world.
post #27 of 29 Old Nov 7th, 2009, 9:54 am

Quote:
Thanks David and Ken:

I am a little mifted that the service manager didn't just say: "Oh not a problem, you just need to adjust the shift linkage and this is how you do it." Instead, I got: "I can't believe anything is wrong with the shifter after we just service the bike and test road it".

Honestly, some of the things I have heard "service managers" and "Techs" say just blow me away. Maybe it's just a common sense thing.... As I was reading the thread, I BEGAN immediatly to think, "Wonder if it's a shifter adjustment?" Then...when you said,
I got new boots." I KNEW..."Yep...that's it." It's kin to having them say to me, "What do you mean, we've never heard of an LT Final Drive problem." I freakin' wanted to shoot myself!!!

Glad you got it fixed Doc... and I'm glad it wasn't a poltergeist situation Now...if you get one of those, call me. THAT, I can handle.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #28 of 29 Old Nov 9th, 2009, 10:43 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Glad you got it fixed Doc... and I'm glad it wasn't a poltergeist situation Now...if you get one of those, call me. THAT, I can handle.
Jack,

That's good to know!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #29 of 29 Old Nov 13th, 2009, 12:35 pm
fas

Quote:
Whatta you know, Ol' Joe still exists.

Version two. Hilarious!

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in