Metzler Z6 Roadtec - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Question Metzeler Z6 Roadtec

My BT 020 rear is down to the center wear bar at 6400 miles and I picked up a nail on Sunday, so have to replace it. My BT 020 front tire (6400 miles) is cupping badly and singing loudly. I've always run 36/42. I had to send my bike to Atlanta to resolve the venting problem while riding in the rain, so will get new tires while it's there. They only had PR2s and Metzeler Z6 Roadtecs in stock for my bike. Parts man told me they are selling the Z6 to 8 out of 10 GT owners and are getting good reports. Anyone have experience with the Metzeler Z6 Roadtecs?

Thanks,

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by REWDOC; Sep 29th, 2009 at 4:22 pm. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 4:31 pm
fas

Re: Metzeler Z6 Roadtec

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
My BT 020 rear is down to the center wear bar at 6400 miles and I picked up a nail on Sunday, so have to replace it. My BT 020 front tire (6400 miles) is cupping badly and singing loudly. I've always run 36/42. I had to send my bike to Atlanta to resolve the venting problem while riding in the rain, so will get new tires while it's there. They only had PR2s and Metzeler Z6 Roadtecs in stock for my bike. Parts man told me they are selling the Z6 to 8 out of 10 GT owners and are getting good reports. Anyone have experience with the Metzeler Z6 Roadtecs?

Thanks,

I ran them on my GT. Very happy with them and would buy again.

Rob Nelson

2006 K1200GT [now lives in Wisconsin]
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC [now lives in Georgia]
Toscana Temptress

More than 132,000 (recently corrected higher) motorcycle riders have died in traffic crashes since the enactment of the Highway Safety Act of 1966 and The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966. Be careful out there.
post #3 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 4:43 pm

Garage
Re: Metzler Z6 Roadtec

I got them with the bike and liked the mileage I got, about 10k, but I was very conservative riding this bike in the beginning. They didn't stick too well and were not confidence inspiring, so I switched to Dunlop Roadsmarts that were toast after 3000 miles. They did stick well though.
There is a new version of the Metzelers out called Z6 Interact that are supposed to be 20 % stickier, so I have just fitted a set of those and hopefully will get better mileage than the Roadsmarts and grip. Too early to tell.
Thread should probably be moved to tires

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA

post #4 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
I got them with the bike and liked the mileage I got, about 10k, but I was very conservative riding this bike in the beginning. They didn't stick too well and were not confidence inspiring, so I switched to Dunlop Roadsmarts that were toast after 3000 miles. They did stick well though.
There is a new version of the Metzelers out called Z6 Interact that are supposed to be 20 % stickier, so I have just fitted a set of those and hopefully will get better mileage than the Roadsmarts and grip. Too early to tell.
Thread should probably be moved to tires
That's the one they recommended, I left off the Interact. Full name: ROADTEC Z6 INTERACT™

Here's a great video of their performance on a GT at the Isle of Man.

http://www.metzelermoto.com/web/expe...e/default.page

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #5 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 7:39 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've run 3 Z6 rears, and never gotten more than 4,500 miles out of them. And two of those went from "looks OK" to literally "on the cords" within one fuel stop (about 240 miles). They handled OK and stuck OK, but I just don't trust them.

I don't know about the new Interacts, but I'm quite leery of these tires in general . . .

The Roadsmarts stuck great and handled great, at first. But they tended to wear funny, so that even though they had lots of tread left, I wanted to take them off early because I didn't like how the bike felt. Same with the PR2's. I guess that new dual-compund technology just doesn't work for my riding style.

So it's still the Avon Storms for me. Good mileage, great grip, and great handling that remains consistent to the end of the tire's life. Can't get much better than that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 23 Old Sep 29th, 2009, 7:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
I've run 3 Z6 rears, and never gotten more than 4,500 miles out of them. And two of those went from "looks OK" to literally "on the cords" within one fuel stop (about 240 miles). They handled OK and stuck OK, but I just don't trust them.

I don't know about the new Interacts, but I'm quite leery of these tires in general . . .

The Roadsmarts stuck great and handled great, at first. But they tended to wear funny, so that even though they had lots of tread left, I wanted to take them off early because I didn't like how the bike felt. Same with the PR2's. I guess that new dual-compund technology just doesn't work for my riding style.

So it's still the Avon Storms for me. Good mileage, great grip, and great handling that remains consistent to the end of the tire's life. Can't get much better than that.
Thanks, Ken. I asked them about the Avon Storms, but they do not stock them and I need to pick up my bike by this weekend. Also, I have a nail in the rear tire, so riding it home is not an option. So I guess I give the Z6 Interacts a try. If they don't do better than the BT020s, I order the Avons and have a local metric shop here in town install them.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 23 Old Sep 30th, 2009, 1:17 am
Super Moderator

Quote:

Thanks,
My new GT came with Z6s which are far better than the Bridgestones. But I moved to the PR2s as soon as I wore them out. I find the PR2s handle much better and last about 2000 miles longer than the Z6s. I ran PR2s on my 1200GT and loved every miles of them.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 23 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:22 am

My GT came with them and they've performed well for me. I installed them on my RT that I sold earlier this year. I would buy them again.

1986 Yamaha FJ600
2002 Honda VTX 1800C
2006 BMW R1200RT
2009 BMW K1300GT
post #9 of 23 Old Oct 1st, 2009, 1:17 pm

Michelin Pilot Road 2s

Well, I can't speak toward the Metzlers but my bike is exactly the same as yours, down to the year & color (but without the venting issue). I encountered severe cupping with those damnable Bridgestone OEM tires and couldn't wait to get them off the GT.

Since the Michelin PR2s are the talk of the K-Bikes forum I decided to give 'em a try. Ordered a set from SWMoto and had them about two weeks until I picked up a huge drywall screw in the rear tire. Doh! I promptly put on another PR2 but this time purchased it at my local Cycle Gear and opted for the road hazard insurance. As the kids at CG mentioned, had I bought the tire from them originally, I would be getting new rubber gratis. Doh again! Even more telling was the price paid for the 180 55 ZR17 Michelin at Cycle Gear. It was actually about $10 less than SWMoto - granted I did have to pay local sales tax.

My giddiness at removing those stock Bridgestones may be clouding my view of the Pilot Road 2s, but I simply love them. They stick like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth and the bike now tips in to corners without fuss. The confidence they impart is amazing in both dry and wet conditions. I'd buy these tires again in a heartbeat. Well, come to think of it I just did. A new rear anyway!

Dick, I feel the "8 out of 10 GT owners" choosing the Metzlers may be indicative of a price difference rather than the Z6 Roadtecs being that much better a tire when compared to the Michelins. I'd at least ask your dealer what the cost delta is.

I put great weight in any review Ken provides but I believe he'd agree our riding distances and styles are vastly different. The proper tire for you depends on what kind of rider you are.

Bottom line, I hope they solve the venting problem and you're pleased with whatever tire you decide. Rubber bands, gauze, and Elmer's construction paste would likely turn out a better product than Bridgestone!

Regards,

David
post #10 of 23 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 2s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Well, I can't speak toward the Metzlers but my bike is exactly the same as yours, down to the year & color (but without the venting issue). I encountered severe cupping with those damnable Bridgestone OEM tires and couldn't wait to get them off the GT.

Since the Michelin PR2s are the talk of the K-Bikes forum I decided to give 'em a try. Ordered a set from SWMoto and had them about two weeks until I picked up a huge drywall screw in the rear tire. Doh! I promptly put on another PR2 but this time purchased it at my local Cycle Gear and opted for the road hazard insurance. As the kids at CG mentioned, had I bought the tire from them originally, I would be getting new rubber gratis. Doh again! Even more telling was the price paid for the 180 55 ZR17 Michelin at Cycle Gear. It was actually about $10 less than SWMoto - granted I did have to pay local sales tax.

My giddiness at removing those stock Bridgestones may be clouding my view of the Pilot Road 2s, but I simply love them. They stick like peanut butter to the roof of your mouth and the bike now tips in to corners without fuss. The confidence they impart is amazing in both dry and wet conditions. I'd buy these tires again in a heartbeat. Well, come to think of it I just did. A new rear anyway!

Dick, I feel the "8 out of 10 GT owners" choosing the Metzlers may be indicative of a price difference rather than the Z6 Roadtecs being that much better a tire when compared to the Michelins. I'd at least ask your dealer what the cost delta is.

I put great weight in any review Ken provides but I believe he'd agree our riding distances and styles are vastly different. The proper tire for you depends on what kind of rider you are.

Bottom line, I hope they solve the venting problem and you're pleased with whatever tire you decide. Rubber bands, gauze, and Elmer's construction paste would likely turn out a better product than Bridgestone!

Regards,

David
Thanks David.

As it turns out I probably could have had them order anything I wanted in the way of tires. They can't find anything wrong with the vent system on my bike and still have in torn down trying to figure it out. BMW ATL is waiting to hear from BMW about any suggestions they have. So the bike will not be ready to pick up tomorrow, anyway. I'll give the Roadtec Z6 Interacts a try since they are already mounted. If they turn out to be great, I'll keep using them. If not, I'm going to try the Avon Storms, as Ken recommended.

I think my bike must be haunted. I've ridden in heavy rain twice and both times the tank quit venting. 3-4 days later, it's venting fine. Weird. They want to leave it apart until they hear from BMW.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #11 of 23 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 10:11 am

I got Z6's on my 1300.

They are ok, but will put PR2's back on when these are done.

I prefer the grip and wet weather traction.

In order of preference:

1 - Pilot Road 2

2 -Continental Sport Attck

3 - Z6 Roadtec

2009 KGT 1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 R1200RT Biarritz Blue (sold)
2005 R1200ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
2003 Goldwing Black (formerly ours and sold)
1999 Valkyrie Tourer Black (sold)

post #12 of 23 Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 3:43 pm

Quote:
They can't find anything wrong with the vent system on my bike and still have in torn down trying to figure it out.
Gosh darn it Dick, was hoping for more positive news along this front as I've followed your other thread with great interest. Am thinking positive thoughts for those techs in Atlanta!

Need you back on the road enjoying your bike and seeing how you like the new tires.

My best,

David
post #13 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 8:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Gosh darn it Dick, was hoping for more positive news along this front as I've followed your other thread with great interest. Am thinking positive thoughts for those techs in Atlanta!

Need you back on the road enjoying your bike and seeing how you like the new tires.

My best,

David
Hopefully, very soon!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #14 of 23 Old Oct 6th, 2009, 3:18 pm

I think that I'm in the minority but he Z-6's are my favorites. My last set on my (now deceased) K12GT were PR2s. Very sticky but cupping terribly in the front after only 3k. I tried the BT020s and didn't like them at all. Metzler's remain my preference. Expensive (C front, K rear) but worth it to me.
post #15 of 23 Old Oct 9th, 2009, 10:10 pm

Hello Dick,

I was in BMW of Atlanta today for 6000 mile service. I have a 07 K1200gt that came with OEM Z6 tires. The rear was down to the wear bars and the front had a few of the grooves to the left of center that were worn smooth at the center. From reading that this tire can go from looking good to showing cords on the rear within a couple hundred miles, I chose to have new tires put on today to save a trip back in a couple of weeks. I could have probably gotten 1000 miles on the old set, but did not want to risk a tire failure.
I opted for the new Z6 interacts.
They did not have the PR2 2ct in stock, only the PR2 in single compound; I figured these would wear out very quick. But they did have a Bridgestone BT21 ? I was told these were the replacement for the BT020. They looked good, but had an extremely stiff sidewall.?

I only road back home on these new tires (approx. 60 miles). If the rain will let up this weekend, I will get to try them out in the N. Ga. mtns.
They did feel better on the interstate, especially when changing lanes and hitting the little reflectors in the road. The OEM Z6's took these as a hard hit, the new Z6 interacts feels alot softer when hitting these reflectors. Maybe its just the difference between new and worn out tires???

There was a silver GT on a rack in the back of service, maybe its is yours?
It had a Rick Mayers seat and a very unusual mount for a Zumo and antenna.
If it is yours, and if you don't mind, I would like to inquire about all of these.
I have a Corbin seat, don't use it, too hard for me.
The Rick Mayer seat, if I was to order one like yours, what style # or part # would I ask for?
I have a Zumo in a BMW mount, but I cannot use an engage tankbag that I bought with the GPS. They hit each other.
The mount on your bike looks like it would solve this problem. I have never seen one like it before.!! Also, the antenna mount, where did you get it. It looks like it is attached on the top of Surburban barbacks.
Does the height of this GPS mount (Zumo), obstruct the vision of any of the gauges, OBC, or clock??
Also, the lockable mount for the zumo, who makes it?

Sorry, to hear about the problem with your bike. Hopefully, you will have it back soon.
The service and parts dept. at BMW of Atlanta seem like they are a bunch of good guys.

Rodney

P.S. Let me know if you would like to meet up sometime for a ride in the mtns.
post #16 of 23 Old Oct 9th, 2009, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RODCAYLOR
Hello Dick,

I was in BMW of Atlanta today for 6000 mile service. I have a 07 K1200gt that came with OEM Z6 tires. The rear was down to the wear bars and the front had a few of the grooves to the left of center that were worn smooth at the center. From reading that this tire can go from looking good to showing cords on the rear within a couple hundred miles, I chose to have new tires put on today to save a trip back in a couple of weeks. I could have probably gotten 1000 miles on the old set, but did not want to risk a tire failure.
I opted for the new Z6 interacts.
They did not have the PR2 2ct in stock, only the PR2 in single compound; I figured these would wear out very quick. But they did have a Bridgestone BT21 ? I was told these were the replacement for the BT020. They looked good, but had an extremely stiff sidewall.?

I only road back home on these new tires (approx. 60 miles). If the rain will let up this weekend, I will get to try them out in the N. Ga. mtns.
They did feel better on the interstate, especially when changing lanes and hitting the little reflectors in the road. The OEM Z6's took these as a hard hit, the new Z6 interacts feels alot softer when hitting these reflectors. Maybe its just the difference between new and worn out tires???

There was a silver GT on a rack in the back of service, maybe its is yours?
It had a Rick Mayers seat and a very unusual mount for a Zumo and antenna.
If it is yours, and if you don't mind, I would like to inquire about all of these.
I have a Corbin seat, don't use it, too hard for me.
The Rick Mayer seat, if I was to order one like yours, what style # or part # would I ask for?
I have a Zumo in a BMW mount, but I cannot use an engage tankbag that I bought with the GPS. They hit each other.
The mount on your bike looks like it would solve this problem. I have never seen one like it before.!! Also, the antenna mount, where did you get it. It looks like it is attached on the top of Surburban barbacks.
Does the height of this GPS mount (Zumo), obstruct the vision of any of the gauges, OBC, or clock??
Also, the lockable mount for the zumo, who makes it?

Sorry, to hear about the problem with your bike. Hopefully, you will have it back soon.
The service and parts dept. at BMW of Atlanta seem like they are a bunch of good guys.

Rodney

P.S. Let me know if you would like to meet up sometime for a ride in the mtns.
Hi Rodney:

Yep, that's my bike. Rick Mayer makes custom saddles for each customer based on picture sent to him, but there is only one style for the GT. You can get leather or vinyl. See his site:
http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

The handlebar mount is from GadgetGuy and the locking mount is from Touratech:

http://www.gadgetguy.net/PhotoGaller...eceiver_V1.htm

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...1665oNT18BA78B

The XM antenna mount was custom made for me by a friend of mine who does custom auto restoration. I made the template and he hand made it from a sheet of 1/4" aluminum. He doesn't want to make more (I already asked him as several people have ask). Too bad, if I had one of the water jet thing-a-ma-bobbers, I'd be in business.

I'm short a 68", but can see the instrument panel pretty well. Only the clock is difficult for me to see. I have a custom tankbag made by Linda T and absolutely love it. See picture below. I originally had the BMW GPS mount but the size of the bag blocked my view. I switched to the current mount and everything is great. Actually, Linda made the bag a little taller than we had originally planned.

http://www.customtankbags.com/

I'd love to meet up with you and ride in the mountain. I was up in TN, KT, WV, VA, and NC two weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1462 - small.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	24878  

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #17 of 23 Old Oct 15th, 2009, 3:14 pm

I'm a PR2 fan. Used to use BT020 on an 1150RT but they squared off really badly at around 4500 miles. Had Pilot Roads on a 1200RT with PR2s next and thought that they latter were great changed at 6500 miles but with life in them. was going to Europe so didn't want to hunt for tyres in the middle of the Alps.

On the 1300GT, I started with the Metzeler as OEM but they performed similarly to the BT020 and squared off at around 4k. now have the PR2 and am happy. I see Pirelli have a new Dual Compound tyre out and I'm waiting for feedback as I might try them out next. then again i might just stick with what works for me.

ride 2 up for most of the summer 200lbs + wife and kit standard tyre pressures. toured for 2600 miles this summer with a fair amount of motorway - didn't help the tyres didn't see enough bends to keep the wear even
post #18 of 23 Old Oct 25th, 2009, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

I now have about 300 miles on the Roadtec Z6 Interacts and really like them. They are much better than the BT020s. The bike feels rock solid in the curves and seems to track much better. I'll just have to wait to see how long they'll last.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #19 of 23 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 12:31 am

I need to replace my tires as well. anybody thought about/considered the ME Z2? my tire guy suggested it.

Just askin.

2008 K1200GT
2007 H-D deluxe
1983 Kawasaki K1000R ELR

1978 Kawasaki Z1R TC

post #20 of 23 Old Oct 26th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Hi just like to stick in my humble experiences, Dunlop roadsmart = No brainer lasted less than 2500 miles great tyre for stickyness but no touring tyre, Michelin PR2 okay(ish) not very friendly to overlay on roads(in uk roads are patched up from frost damage with bitumen) but lasted 4,500 miles, Metzler Z6, best to date good all round tyre over 5,500 miles before replacement. Now trying Pirrelli Diabalos so far 2000 miles and wearing well but took about 500 miles to bed in. All these ridden in "spirited" riding in UK and Europe, two up and fully laden. Not subject to 55 or 65mph restrictions like the US. Will try the Avon next. If I get more than 5000 miles from a set of tyres then its ok.
post #21 of 23 Old Jun 10th, 2010, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Metzler Z6 Roadtec - 6500 mile report

Well, I haven't have a lot of time to ride since I purchased my Z6 Roadtec tires. I just returned from a 5800 mile trip to California last week and the tires now have 6500 miles on them and are holding up very well. The tires that came on my GT from the factory were toast at 6500 miles. I've attached pictures of what the Z6's look like at 6500 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front tire.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	27740   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear tire.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	27741  

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #22 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 1:05 pm

Ive had Z6 Interacts on my '07 GT now for about 5K miles....no significant wear and the only issue is that the front end tends to react to wind a bit different. I think the hard compound in the middle of the tire gives less roadfeel and you need to 'steer' it more. I still like em nonetheless.

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #23 of 23 Old Jun 11th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Re: Metzler Z6 Roadtec - 6500 mile report

Quote:
Well, I haven't have a lot of time to ride since I purchased my Z6 Roadtec tires. I just returned from a 5800 mile trip to California last week and the tires now have 6500 miles on them and are holding up very well. The tires that came on my GT from the factory were toast at 6500 miles. I've attached pictures of what the Z6's look like at 6500 miles.
I see by the picture your front tire is starting to ridge in the middle like the Z6 did on my FJR. In comparison the Z6 rides like a brick to any other tire I have had, though the milage I got out of them was OK. Try the PR2's, IMO they handle 100% better and outlast the Z6's by a couple 1000 miles.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in