6K mile oil change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

6K mile oil change

Hi,

I would like to tackle the 6,000 mile oil change myself. I know, I'm not dealing with a full roof over my head.

Anyway is there a manual that covers this?

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 3:54 pm

Re: 6K mile oil change

This is one of the easiest things that you can do for your bike. A search will provide you with lots of info. Simply remove the filter on the bottom ( three screws) let oil drain. Replace new filter ( fill it with oil first) screw in three screws gently and then add oil. Search site for specifics... Don't forget newspaper and cat litter.....

check "similar threads" at the bottom of this page.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 3:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

+1 with dandiver, Also, get a Clymer manual. It's 40 bucks well spent.

post #4 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 4:48 pm

And as a plus, you can use regular automotive oil and not motorcycle specific oil. But seriously if you can change the oil on a car you can change the oil on this bike. I just did mine today. You'll just need the right sized "cap" style filter wrench.

This weekend I'll also be changing my spark plugs, transmission oil, FD oil,air filter and fuel filter. But first I'll have to get the big girl naked for the first time.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Just one other note. The first time I did my oil, ( actually all three fluids) I had help from several others from this forum and that really made the task easy. Maybe check to see if there is anyone in your area up for a tech session. Gather a few bikers in your garage, especially someone who has done it and then proceed. Maybe change all three main fluids at the same time as I do every 6,000 miles. Dave Dragon, John Ritter and company helped me the first time.

I'm due for changing all three in about a 1,000 miles and you are welcome to come and watch..........

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 10 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Just one other note. The first time I did my oil, ( actually all three fluids) I had help from several others from this forum and that really made the task easy. Maybe check to see if there is anyone in your area up for a tech session. Gather a few bikers in your garage, especially someone who has done it and then proceed. Maybe change all three main fluids at the same time as I do every 6,000 miles. Dave Dragon, John Ritter and company helped me the first time.

I'm due for changing all three in about a 1,000 miles and you are welcome to come and watch..........
You guyz with LTs --- do the GTs use the same oil and fluid change procedures?? Just as easy to do?? I've never looked up under a GT to see how it's done, so am just curious.
post #7 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 9:31 am

OOPS. I just now noticed that this thread was the GT and not LT. But by the looks of my Clymer manual, some of the work on the GT is easier. But then again there's always the "remove the gas tank" step too.

Chris Ehlbeck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 2:23 pm

I wouldn't use automotive oil. This bike has a wet clutch. I'm pretty sure you need a friction agent in the oil.

Ride fast. Take chances.

2008 K1200GT
2004 Harley Road Glide "Kapo"
post #9 of 10 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 3:44 pm

LIKE I SAID. It was my mistake. I'd stay away from automotive oil for a wet clutch. I misread the header and mistakenly thought LT instead of GT.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #10 of 10 Old Sep 26th, 2009, 7:37 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Note that this is in the Next-Gen GT forum, so the procedure is a bit different than on the LTs and older RS/GT models.

There's a lot of info on our sister site, K-Bikes.com, including a very thorough Technical section. Check the Hall of Wisdom, Maintenance section for the info you need.

As for the type of oil to run, it seems that even BMW can't figure this one out so what are us mere mortals to do?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in