Music on the K1200/1300GT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Music on the K1200/1300GT

My wife and I didnt ride much last year and sold our 2005 LT... now things have changed and with the beautifully (unusual) weather we had this summer in DC, we have missed riding.

We really enjoyed talking with each other thru the Autocomm that I had installed on the bike as well as listening to the radio and CD. We had an Aux type connector installed into the bikes head unit but the volume from the ipod never quite cut it.

I am thinking about trying a GT this time (going to look at one this weekend).

How are you all that had traditional music playing on your LT, Goldwings or full dress Harleys, coping with the GT??? I don't mind spending $$$ but I can't imagine the music pumped into my helmets speakers sound as good...

Opinions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:53 am
Super Moderator

Re: Music on the K1200/1300GT

I have the Garmin Zumo 550 with XM satellite radio coming in through an Autocom ProAVI unit. I was never fully happy with the Autocom speakers and there are a number of options to replace them. I chose to go with a set of custom molded earphones from Big Ear Inc. You can get a 3.5mm stereo adapter for the Autocom That goes in line with the standard helmet headset. The sound is great and I still get the benefits of the noise sensitive volume from the standard headset setup. The Zumo also has an SD slot and built in MP3 player and audio book reader. THe link is to some pics of my GT and you can see the Zumo and XM setup there.

http://www.fetchthecow.com/K1300GT/album/K1300GT.html

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I have the Garmin Zumo 550 with XM satellite radio coming in through an Autocom ProAVI unit. I was never fully happy with the Autocom speakers and there are a number of options to replace them. I chose to go with a set of custom molded earphones from Big Ear Inc. You can get a 3.5mm stereo adapter for the Autocom That goes in line with the standard helmet headset. The sound is great and I still get the benefits of the noise sensitive volume from the standard headset setup. The Zumo also has an SD slot and built in MP3 player and audio book reader. THe link is to some pics of my GT and you can see the Zumo and XM setup there.

http://www.fetchthecow.com/K1300GT/album/K1300GT.html
How do you do strain relief on the earphone jack, so that when you forget to unplug, it doesn't damage the connections? (I can imagine getting off the bike and yanking the jack off the end of the expensive earphones.)

post #4 of 7 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 8:06 am

I pipe XM from my 2820 through an A2DP adapter into my Parrot Bluetooth headset. The sound is great, but the A2DP adapter doesn't last long enough for a long ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #5 of 7 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 9:23 am
Gold Supporter

I am still waiting for one of you to answer his intercom question

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #6 of 7 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 12:51 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
How do you do strain relief on the earphone jack, so that when you forget to unplug, it doesn't damage the connections? (I can imagine getting off the bike and yanking the jack off the end of the expensive earphones.)
I don't forget to unplug. The connection is right up on the handlebar in mt face right next to the standard Autocom connection so I have these 2 wires sitting right in front of me beckoning to be disconnected. Plus the leads are long enough where I can get off the bike and stand upright before I have to pull the plugs, so there's ample length to allow for that level of flexibility to remember to unplug before you walk away still attached.

The earphones are also designed with stress reliefs both at the plug and at the earphones for just such an occasion, and the line is Kevlar wrapped for protection and damage resistance. For the ones recommended for motorcycling they use a solid core material instead of the hollow ones used for the other applications which allows them to act as 32-40db earplugs as well; roughly the same as the foam ones a lot of folks use. So you get great hearing protection and awesome sound all in one. I just got back from a 4100 mile trip where I wore these every mile of the way, including some very long days with them in for hours on end. They were very comfortable and worked perfectly the entire time. Here's a link to the ones I have -

http://www.bigearinc.com/Products/BE-1C.aspx

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 7 Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 7:31 pm

Well, like David I too am using custom ear plugs scored from a fellow BMW rider named Bob Weis who is the owner of The Earplug Co (www.earplugco.com). I listen to MP3s via a Zumo 550 which is then run through an amplifier (http://www.tesseractcorp.com/). While I don't need to hear Ozzy or Van Halen at 500db, I did want some additional punch that the Zumo was sorely missing. Even though the in-ear monitors are the greatest investment I've made for long distance riding, I'm still miffed at having to endure the crappy audio quality of MP3s. If I could find a product that played .wav or flac files I'd buy it in a second.

I bit the bullet and ordered another set of monitors to wear at the gym with a Sony device that plays wav files. Now that's how music should be listened to with stellar audio quality both high & low.

If you don't own any now, do yourself and your ears a favor and look in to having some custom ear plugs made. You won't know how you've lived without them!

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in