BMW nav IV(Zumo 660) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

BMW nav IV(Zumo 660)

Got a 2010 K1300Gt, love it. But I had dealer install new Nav IV GPS( Zumo 660). The hole for my earphones is completly blocked off when its placed in the holder on the bike! The controls that are redundent for the zoom in and out are what block it. Does anyone have an answer for this? Dealer suggest bluetooth, but I have many helmets, dont want new one. Also manual wont let you do mp3 files and phone at same time. I really only care to be able to hear directions and mp3 files.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:40 pm

Re: BMW nav IV(Zumo 660)

Sometime ago, I read a not too flatering review of the 660 compared with the 550. Check the web for updated reviews. I have a 550 and I think it is better than the 660.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #3 of 16 Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:49 pm

You might be stuck with Bluetooth, but that doesn't necessarily mean you need a new helmet. If you have a favorite, you can add a headset to it. I added a Blue Ant to mine & like it, but I only use it for directions. It would not be good for music.

If you have a set of earphones that work for you, I wonder if a device like this would let you keep using them, and also eliminate the cord between you and the bike?

post #4 of 16 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 2:29 am

I recently set up a friends 660 through a bluetooth connection to his autocom. I'm not that persuaded yet about bluetooth to helmets particularly if you want other stuff as well like music phone and conversation with swmbo . (I use a Schuberth C2 or a system 5 and won't be changing for a while.)
post #5 of 16 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxreno745
Sometime ago, I read a not too flatering review of the 660 compared with the 550. Check the web for updated reviews. I have a 550 and I think it is better than the 660.
In contrast with David's comments, I have had a 550 and a 660, and I like the 660 better overall. There are some features about the 550 that are better than the 660, but I would recommend a 660 unless XM is a must-have feature for you.

I am still wondering if I can buy a BMW cradle with the extra buttons on the side, and use it with my standard Zumo 660.
post #6 of 16 Old Sep 17th, 2009, 2:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I am still wondering if I can buy a BMW cradle with the extra buttons on the side, and use it with my standard Zumo 660.
With past BMW/Garmin GPS units, that has not been possible.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 16 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 6:50 am

Garmin has a 660 mount w/ plug ins on the wiring harness
post #8 of 16 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 10:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by msheedy
Garmin has a 660 mount w/ plug ins on the wiring harness
Absolutely correct.... it has 3.5mm stereo audio out but does NOT have 2.5mm mic in as the 660 does so Bluetooth is the only option for cellphone users....

For that reason alone many will no doubt opt for the 660....I was considering a swap of my 550 for the BMW IV unit but to integrate into my current set-up I needed the audio in cable rather that Bluetooth....

"Ride to Arrive...."
Dutchman

post #9 of 16 Old Sep 24th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman
Absolutely correct.... it has 3.5mm stereo audio out but does NOT have 2.5mm mic in as the 660 does so Bluetooth is the only option for cellphone users....

For that reason alone many will no doubt opt for the 660....I was considering a swap of my 550 for the BMW IV unit but to integrate into my current set-up I needed the audio in cable rather that Bluetooth....
You must be describing the BMW Nav IV cradle.

The Zumo 660 cradle has a cable that divides into four connectors: power (loose wires), USB (for traffic), audio out (earphones or speakers), and audio in (microphone).
post #10 of 16 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 12:23 am

Quote:
You must be describing the BMW Nav IV cradle.

The Zumo 660 cradle has a cable that divides into four connectors: power (loose wires), USB (for traffic), audio out (earphones or speakers), and audio in (microphone).
Thanks XMagnaRider.....well spotted.....!

"Ride to Arrive...."
Dutchman

post #11 of 16 Old Sep 25th, 2009, 8:30 pm

I bought a Nolan N Com 102 helmet and also a Garmin Zumo 550. It is an outstanding setup with perfect bluetooth reception. Great sound for MP3, XM, nav directions and telephone. There maybe something better but this works very well.
post #12 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 7:33 pm

Hi have you found out any more on the Zumo 660 cradle? I have been asking the same question with no luck. I know BMW wants $100 for the mounting bracket and $1000 for the BMW Zumo 660. I had gone to best buy today and looked at the Garmin Zumo 660 and it dose not have the cradle.

Quote:
In contrast with David's comments, I have had a 550 and a 660, and I like the 660 better overall. There are some features about the 550 that are better than the 660, but I would recommend a 660 unless XM is a must-have feature for you.

post #13 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboerkamp
Hi have you found out any more on the Zumo 660 cradle? I have been asking the same question with no luck. I know BMW wants $100 for the mounting bracket and $1000 for the BMW Zumo 660. I had gone to best buy today and looked at the Garmin Zumo 660 and it dose not have the cradle.
I assume that you are asking about the BMW Nav IV and its cradle. I have a Zumo 660, which comes with a motorcycle cradle and a car cradle. The Zumo 660 cradle does not have the side buttons. The BMW Nav IV cradle includes the four buttons on the left side.

I saw a BMW Nav IV in the BMW booth at the Long Beach motorcycle show. The Nav IV wasn't working. I brought my fully charged Zumo 660, and sure enough, it fit the BMW cradle, but it did not respond to the BMW cradle buttons. The problem is that I never saw the BMW demo model working with the buttons either, so I don't know if the problem was the demo cradle or an incompatibility with my Zumo 660.

If someone has a chance to try a Zumo 660 in the BMW cradle, I would be curious to know if it works.
post #14 of 16 Old Jan 31st, 2010, 11:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboerkamp
Hi have you found out any more on the Zumo 660 cradle?
Again, with past BMW/Garmin GPS units, that has not been possible.

I don't see any reason why this would change. Sorry.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 2:44 am

Hope this helps.....

Comparison with the Garmin ZUMO 660
The BMW Motorrad Navigator IV is based on the Garmin ZUMO 660. Consequently, the two share same basic hardware and software.
Different appearance on account of different housing colours (Navigator IV black, ZUMO 660 silver) and the different font panels (removable). Customers will not be able to tell at first glance that the Navigator IV is based on the Garmin ZUMO 660.
It is only for the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV that the Advanced Mount Cradle with its array of 4 pushbuttons works, making the unit much easier to use while the motorcycle is on the road. Both units share the same method of attachment. The Garmin ZUMO fits into the Advanced Mount Cradle, but the 4 pushbutton controls do not work for the Garmin ZUMO. The BMW Motorrad Navigator also fits the Garmin mount without extra pushbutton controls and its full built-in functionality is available in this mount.
Only the Navigator IV can be used with the connecting cable to connect it directly and easily to the BMW Motorrad OA socket and thus to the motorcycle's on-board power supply (waterproof plug). Once the unit is connected in this way the built-in battery is kept continuously charged (applies only when the Sat Nav unit is ON). The Garmin ZUMO 660 connects to the power supply by cables with open ends (inline fuse); customers find this a lot more complicated and sometimes beyond their abilities. Use of the BMW Motorrad connecting cable is no longer possible for the Garmin ZUMO 660, because the cable is permanently connected to the Mount Cradle.
In principle, the two devices use the same software. the BMW Motorrad Navigator IV has a BMW Motorrad start screen and incorporates the BMW Motorrad dealership database. Uploading the BMW software to the Garmin ZUMO 660 will not damage the unit, but exclusive BMW functions remain unavailable (along with the start screen and the dealership database, this includes Bluetooth data interchange between two Sat Nav units and the functions of the Advanced Mount Cradles).
The audio port (on the left in both cases) is covered in the case of the Navigator IV by the Advanced Mount Cradle; in the case of the Garmin ZUMO 660 it always remains accessible. This audio port, however, is not needed on the road for the communication system offered by BMW Motorrad, because audio signals are transmitted by wireless via Bluetooth. During breaks, headphones can be connected to the audio ports of both units, as that the built-in MP3 player can be used. The Navigator IV has to be removed from the motorcycle mount in order to be used in this way.
Both devices have an audio jack on the cable set of the (Advanced) Mount Cradles for connecting a wired intercom system. The ZUMO 660 outputs sound in stereo, the Navigator IV in mono quality (perfectly adequate for voice). Only the Navigator IV has a connection that remains permanently waterproof.
The Garmin ZUMO 660 has an additional port on the cable set of the Mount Cradle as the input for a microphone and a mini-USB port. Neither of the two are permanently waterproof.
− The Navigator IV does not support an external microphone on the motorcycle. Using handsfree for phoning with the Navigator IV and a Bluetooth mobile phone while riding a motorcycle requires a Bluetooth-compatible helmet (does not apply to in-car use; the built-in microphone in the Navigator IV is used along with the built-in speaker).
− Unlike the Navigator IV, the Garmin ZUMO 660 has a mini-USB port in the wiring harness for an optional TMC receiver. Neither the port nor the TMC receiver itself are waterproof. Use of the TMC receiver on the motorcycle is expressly prohibited. This is the reason why the Navigator IV dispenses with a connection of this nature. For in-car use, both units can be connected to the in-car mount and the TMC receiver used in this way. The ZUMO 660 comes complete with a universal motorcycle mount; the Garmin instructions for use state that extra hardware might be necessary for user-specific installation. The Navigator IV needs a motorcycle-specific mount, optimised for each model, that has to be ordered separately.
post #16 of 16 Old Mar 9th, 2010, 7:24 am

I have the nav iv that was given me when i bought my new rt and can confirm the 660 wont work with the buttons on the left hand side just tried my mates 660.It fits the cradle fine but thats about it will power it though.
Just one other thing the nav has another plug on the power lead thats suposed to fit onto the new audio systems fitted to the newer bikes so there might be a way of adapting that for autocom starcom etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in