Boise Idaho? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 30th, 2009, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Boise Idaho?

A buddy has family getting married in Boise so we decided to take the bikes up and make a trip north to Coeur D'Alene while we are at it. Any suggestions for rides in either area. Maybe some living in those areas could provide some info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:20 am

Re: Boise Idaho?

Sorry...

Could only help you out with beautifull rides here in Belgium

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
g mtrl $m$ vrr $ ...
g t r$p$l $'t , *
M$t f tm$ thr rvr$ r th $ f ll$ ,
t*$m$*tht*L*W* r th $ trg mr r$p$l trff ...
Greetz @nd Lots of Love @nd [email protected] [email protected]........... [email protected]!ck & [email protected]!ne
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 10:31 am

If that far north, head east to GLACIER park and do Logan Pass

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 12:07 pm

Take route 21 north out of Boise to Stanley, Idaho. Great road. From Stanley go north via Salmon, ID., Darby, MT, Missoula, MT, then to Coeur D'Alene. I just came back from a trip to Stanley. Have been there many times.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxreno745
Take route 21 north out of Boise to Stanley, Idaho. Great road. From Stanley go north via Salmon, ID., Darby, MT, Missoula, MT, then to Coeur D'Alene. I just came back from a trip to Stanley. Have been there many times.
I'd do what David suggested until you get to Lolo, MT then I'd turn west on 12 heading toward Lolo pass. From Lolo pass all the way to Lewiston you'll be riding on of the finest motorcycle roads in the United States. You don't want to miss it. Coeur D'Alene is a little over a 100 miles north of Lewiston if you have to be there.
FYI, David's route to Lolo is approximately 340 miles. Lolo to Lewiston adds 180 miles. Orofino, ID is a great place to spend the night.

Bruce Hodges
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 8:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
I'd do what David suggested until you get to Lolo, MT then I'd turn west on 12 heading toward Lolo pass. From Lolo pass all the way to Lewiston you'll be riding on of the finest motorcycle roads in the United States. You don't want to miss it. Coeur D'Alene is a little over a 100 miles north of Lewiston if you have to be there.
FYI, David's route to Lolo is approximately 340 miles. Lolo to Lewiston adds 180 miles. Orofino, ID is a great place to spend the night.

Bruce Hodges
x2...............
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 31st, 2009, 11:14 pm

Yes, Lolo Pass is a great road.

David Cox

06 K12GT
09 K13GT
07 F800ST
post #8 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2009, 10:28 am

Yes ... Lolo is a fine route indeed !!

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #9 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2009, 10:30 am

+1 on Lolo Pass if that fits your plans. I have done the Boise/Coeur D'Alene ride three times and last time stayed in McCall at a great Holiday Inn Express that is only a couple years old and ate at the Mill Steak House which is an easy walk from motel. Not a really great steakhouse but more than decent steaks and prime rib, plus an easy walk from the motel so you don't have to worry about that extra glass of wine with your steak. (If you want a preview of McCall, rent Northwest Passage starring Spencer Tracey which was filmed there.)

If your destination is then Coeur D'alene, you will want to ride up the east side of the Lake on Highway 97. Highway 95 up the west side will get you there quicker but you will miss the reason for the ride.

Here is how I did it from McCall and highly recommend it.

Hwy 95 to Grangerville to connect with 13
Hwy 13 to connect to 12 at Kooskia
Hwy 12 to Ahsahka to hit P-1.
P-1 to Kendrick
At Kendrick pick up 3/8 North to Id-6
Id-6 to connect with Hwy 3
Hwy 3 to 97 which you follow up the east shore of the Lake
Hwy 97 then joins I-90 for a very short distance into Coeur d'Alene.

Stay safe, have fun, let us know what route you decide on.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #10 of 14 Old Sep 1st, 2009, 8:43 pm

Rt 75 from ketchum to 93 north to Missoula, MT - then on to Glacier Park and Waterton Lakes, NP, just across the border in Alberta, the prize.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:03 pm

Two thumbs up to both Logan Pass (Glacier National Park) and LoLo Pass. If you have the time I would do both of them. That will be a ride that you will never forget. I did Logan last Saturday. The pass is at 6600 feet and they were expecting snow in that area down to 7000 feet so you have to be careful to check the weather in fall or you could end up being snowed in.
post #12 of 14 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead
Yes ... Lolo is a fine route indeed !!
+1, with the caveat that if it is rainy, it's a VERY long windy road along a river that you can't go fast enough to really enjoy.

Bruce Yates - Y3K on board!
Bellevue, WA (near sunny Seattle
)
2013 dark graphite K1600GTL "Tiger Shark"
(RIP - totaled by idiot cage driver)

2000 K1200LTc "Salsa" (sold to my buddy, Mel)
2012 midnight blue Vespa GTS 300ie (Cheri's)

(photography)

(new blog)

2001 CCR - Hot Springs, AR
2002 CCR - Santa Fe, NM
2003 CCR - Gatlinburg, TN
2004 CCR - Breckenridge, CO
2005 CCR - Jackson Hole, WY
2006 CCR - Braselton, GA
2009 CCR - Rapid City, SD
2011 CCR - Boise, ID

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 8th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moot
+1 on Lolo Pass if that fits your plans. I have done the Boise/Coeur D'Alene ride three times and last time stayed in McCall at a great Holiday Inn Express that is only a couple years old and ate at the Mill Steak House which is an easy walk from motel. Not a really great steakhouse but more than decent steaks and prime rib, plus an easy walk from the motel so you don't have to worry about that extra glass of wine with your steak. (If you want a preview of McCall, rent Northwest Passage starring Spencer Tracey which was filmed there.)

If your destination is then Coeur D'alene, you will want to ride up the east side of the Lake on Highway 97. Highway 95 up the west side will get you there quicker but you will miss the reason for the ride.

Here is how I did it from McCall and highly recommend it.

Hwy 95 to Grangerville to connect with 13
Hwy 13 to connect to 12 at Kooskia
Hwy 12 to Ahsahka to hit P-1.
P-1 to Kendrick
At Kendrick pick up 3/8 North to Id-6
Id-6 to connect with Hwy 3
Hwy 3 to 97 which you follow up the east shore of the Lake
Hwy 97 then joins I-90 for a very short distance into Coeur d'Alene.

Stay safe, have fun, let us know what route you decide on.
they're all good. Unless you'll be there again, Lolo and Glacier are musts. Have fun.
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 10th, 2009, 9:11 pm Thread Starter

Just got back from Boise. The ride to Coeur D'Alene fell through. But, we were able to get a couple of ride days around Boise. I did the ride up HW 21 to Loman then across 24 and back down HW 55. Very pretty scnery and the canyons are very pretty. The wife and I took a day ride up to McCall for breakfast. First time I have been there. A very pretty ride up and the McCall area is very pretty with the lake and all. Not a drop of rain the entire trip and the weather stayed in the mid 60's to mid 80's until we got back to the Sacramento Vally. Thanks for the travel tips every one.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in